"The hands that help are better far than the lips that pray." -- Robert G. Ingersoll

computers / news.admin.peering / Please complain to Google about their spamming of Usenet

SubjectAuthor
* Please complain to Google about their spamming of UsenetWally J
+* Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of UsenetThe Doctor
|`- Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of Usenetdavid
+* Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of UsenetAlan
|`* Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of Usenetdavid
| +- Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of UsenetAlan
| `* Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of UsenetJörg Lorenz
|  `- Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of UsenetWally J
+* Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of UsenetBrian Gregory
|+* Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of UsenetWally J
||`- Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of UsenetJörg Lorenz
|+- Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of UsenetJörg Lorenz
|`- Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of UsenetWally J
+- Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of UsenetJörg Lorenz
+* Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of UsenetWally J
|+* Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of UsenetThe Doctor
||+- Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of UsenetWally J
||`- Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of UsenetJohn McCue
|`* Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of UsenetScott Dorsey
| +- Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of UsenetWally J
| `* Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of UsenetJulieta Shem
|  `* Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of UsenetWally J
|   `- Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of UsenetJulieta Shem
+* Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of Usenet<metaed
|`* Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of UsenetJörg Lorenz
| `- Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of Usenet<metaed
`* Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of UsenetWally J
 `* Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of UsenetGrant Taylor
> [...]
  |      `- Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of UsenetWally J
  `* Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of UsenetScott Dorsey
   `* Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of UsenetGrant Taylor
    +* Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of UsenetScott Dorsey
    |+- Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of UsenetJulieta Shem
    |`- Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of UsenetGrant Taylor
    `* Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of UsenetWally J
     `* Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of UsenetGrant Taylor
      `* Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of UsenetWally J
       `* Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of UsenetGrant Taylor
        `- Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of UsenetWally J

Pages:123
Please complain to Google about their spamming of Usenet

<ukqa3n$1g7rj$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=999&group=news.admin.peering#999

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,news.admin.peering,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Subject: Please complain to Google about their spamming of Usenet
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 13:13:27 -0400
 by: Wally J - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 17:13 UTC

Given a call to Mountainview is never picked up by a human being...
<https://i.postimg.cc/d388rqkj/google02.jpg> +1 (650) 253-0000

If you care about either Usenet or the DejaNews DejaGoogle search
engine (which provides links to specific Usenet posts), then...

*Please Do This!*
<https://groups.google.com/g/google-usenet/about>
Which will look like this:
<https://i.postimg.cc/3JzWxG3f/please-do-this.jpg>

The DejaGoogle search engine is useful to everyone (not just us) because:
a. DejaGoogle doesn't require an account or paying for retention
b. DejaGoogle links work for everyone (even your 99 year old mother)
c. DejaGoogle only needs a web browser (which everyone has)

The problem with all this spam from Google servers is that even finding the
URI to an article posted _today_ is a mess of wading through that garbage.
<https://i.postimg.cc/yxpSLVrr/Google-Groups-Usenet-Portal-spam-20231206-730am.jpg>

Details follow...

That is the easiest way (I know of) to complain to Google about
their Google-Groups servers allowing Google Usenet portal spam
(which ruins their own Usenet DejaGoogle search engine output)
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android>
You're welcome to upload this screenshot showing the problem:
<https://i.postimg.cc/fyCXPjpR/Google-Groups-Usenet-Portal-spam-20231206-730am.jpg>

Together, maybe we can get Google to at least look at the problem we face.

*Please do this today:*
1. Go to <https://groups.google.com/g/google-usenet/about>
2. Click the "Gear" icon at the top right of that web page
3. Select the option to "Send feedback to Google"
Box 1: "Tell us what prompted this feedback."
Box 2: "A screenshot will help us better understand your feedback."

Optionally, you can do the deluxe version of sending feedback to Google.
A. In tab 1, go to <https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android>
B. Take a screenshot & save it to a date-related name you can easily find.
C. In tab 2, go to <https://groups.google.com/g/google-usenet/about>
D. Click the "Gear" icon at the top right of that "about" web page
E. In the first box "Tell us what prompted this feedback."
tell Google the problem in a way that Google 'may' care about.

For example, tell them something like "Your Google Groups servers
are allowing obvious off-topic rampant spamming by few individuals
<https://groups.google.com>
such that your own Google Groups Server Search Engine
<http://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android>
is now useless because a few users are abusing your Google servers."

F. In the second box upload that screenshot of the first tab.
G. Press the "Send" button on the bottom right of that second tab.

Here's what it looks like, with every step above documented below.
<https://i.postimg.cc/25gytfM9/googlebug1.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/sX0KBm6Z/googlebug2.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/mgt9kRxV/googlebug3.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/Mp2wMbN4/googlebug4.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/CLVYdsW-2/googlebug5.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/4ysLRySW-/googlebug6.jpg>

In summary, I tried contacting Google to find a better way, to no avail.
<https://i.postimg.cc/kgFknPX0/google01.jpg>
So this online complaint form is the only one that I know about.
<https://groups.google.com/g/google-usenet/about>

If you know of a better way to complain about this, please let us know.
--
Together we can get Google to stop spamming their own Usenet search engine.

Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of Usenet

<ukqeea$1mnv$2@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1003&group=news.admin.peering#1003

From: doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,news.admin.peering,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 18:27:22 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 18:27 UTC

In article <ukqa3n$1g7rj$1@paganini.bofh.team>,
Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:
> [...]
> is now useless because a few users are abusing your Google servers."
>
> F. In the second box upload that screenshot of the first tab.
> G. Press the "Send" button on the bottom right of that second tab.
>
>Here's what it looks like, with every step above documented below.
> <https://i.postimg.cc/25gytfM9/googlebug1.jpg>
> <https://i.postimg.cc/sX0KBm6Z/googlebug2.jpg>
> <https://i.postimg.cc/mgt9kRxV/googlebug3.jpg>
> <https://i.postimg.cc/Mp2wMbN4/googlebug4.jpg>
> <https://i.postimg.cc/CLVYdsW-2/googlebug5.jpg>
> <https://i.postimg.cc/4ysLRySW-/googlebug6.jpg>
>
>In summary, I tried contacting Google to find a better way, to no avail.
> <https://i.postimg.cc/kgFknPX0/google01.jpg>
>So this online complaint form is the only one that I know about.
> <https://groups.google.com/g/google-usenet/about>
>
>If you know of a better way to complain about this, please let us know.

Better yet , Depeer Google Groups!

>--
>Together we can get Google to stop spamming their own Usenet search engine.

--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of Usenet

<ukqefp$sbs1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1004&group=news.admin.peering#1004

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,news.admin.peering,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 10:28:09 -0800
 by: Alan - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 18:28 UTC

On 2023-12-06 09:13, Wally J wrote:
> Given a call to Mountainview is never picked up by a human being...
> <https://i.postimg.cc/d388rqkj/google02.jpg> +1 (650) 253-0000

I'm sorry, Arlen...

....just what do you think a picture of a smartphone dialing screen proves...

....other that the fact that for all your protestations, it turns out you
actually use an iPhone?

Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of Usenet

<ukql48$33sk0$1@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1010&group=news.admin.peering#1010

From: thi...@is.invalid (david)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,news.admin.peering,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 13:21:28 -0700
 by: david - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 20:21 UTC

Using <news:ukqefp$sbs1$1@dont-email.me>, Alan wrote:

> ...just what do you think a picture of a smartphone dialing screen proves...

What were your results when you called Google to help complain?

> ...other that the fact that for all your protestations, it turns out you
> actually use an iPhone?

The image status bar & aspect ratio seems to not be that of an iphone.
But of an iPad.

Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of Usenet

<ukqlcn$33t0a$1@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1011&group=news.admin.peering#1011

From: thi...@is.invalid (david)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,news.admin.peering,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 13:25:59 -0700
 by: david - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 20:25 UTC

Using <news:ukqeea$1mnv$2@gallifrey.nk.ca>, The Doctor wrote:

>>If you know of a better way to complain about this, please let us know.
>
> Better yet , Depeer Google Groups!

Agree that it's highwinds who needs to depeer its google feed.
What's the easiest way to complain directly to highwinds so they get it?

Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of Usenet

<ukqmr5$te9i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1014&group=news.admin.peering#1014

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,news.admin.peering,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 12:50:44 -0800
 by: Alan - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 20:50 UTC

On 2023-12-06 12:21, david wrote:
> Using <news:ukqefp$sbs1$1@dont-email.me>, Alan wrote:
>
>> ...just what do you think a picture of a smartphone dialing screen
>> proves...
>
> What were your results when you called Google to help complain?
>
>> ...other that the fact that for all your protestations, it turns out
>> you actually use an iPhone?
>
> The image status bar & aspect ratio seems to not be that of an iphone.
> But of an iPad.

Hardly relevant.

The POINT was an iOS device.

Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of Usenet

<ktcgisF7r6dU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1016&group=news.admin.peering#1016

From: void-inv...@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,news.admin.peering,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 00:05:48 +0000
 by: Brian Gregory - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 00:05 UTC

Which News server are you using?

I'm using news.individual.net and I don't see anything from Google
Groups here.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of Usenet

<ukr4e2$1m53i$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1017&group=news.admin.peering#1017

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,news.admin.peering,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 20:42:41 -0400
 by: Wally J - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 00:42 UTC

Brian Gregory <void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid> wrote

> I'm using news.individual.net and I don't see anything from Google
> Groups here.

Even so, you still have the problem described in the original post.

Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of Usenet

<uks7u5$17s18$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1020&group=news.admin.peering#1020

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,news.admin.peering,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 11:48:38 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 10:48 UTC

On 06.12.23 18:13, Wally J wrote:
> Given a call to Mountainview is never picked up by a human being...
> <https://i.postimg.cc/d388rqkj/google02.jpg> +1 (650) 253-0000
>
> If you care about either Usenet or the DejaNews DejaGoogle search
> engine (which provides links to specific Usenet posts), then...

You are a brain dead idiot.
The smart girls and guys do not use Google in the first place. They use
a decent nntp-server with login and filtering. That would be a place
where they kick you out inevitably after a week max.

And it is none of your business anyway.

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of Usenet

<uks80b$17s17$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1021&group=news.admin.peering#1021

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,news.admin.peering,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 11:49:48 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 10:49 UTC

On 07.12.23 01:05, Brian Gregory wrote:
> Which News server are you using?
>
> I'm using news.individual.net and I don't see anything from Google
> Groups here.

+1

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of Usenet

<uks80v$17s17$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1022&group=news.admin.peering#1022

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,news.admin.peering,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 11:50:07 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 10:50 UTC

On 07.12.23 01:42, Wally J wrote:
> Brian Gregory <void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid> wrote
>
>> I'm using news.individual.net and I don't see anything from Google
>> Groups here.
>
> Even so, you still have the problem described in the original post.

Bullshit.

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of Usenet

<uks84n$17s17$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1023&group=news.admin.peering#1023

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,news.admin.peering,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 11:52:08 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 10:52 UTC

On 06.12.23 21:21, david wrote:
> Using <news:ukqefp$sbs1$1@dont-email.me>, Alan wrote:
>
>> ...just what do you think a picture of a smartphone dialing screen proves...
>
> What were your results when you called Google to help complain?

A waste of time and none of your or anybody else's business in this group.

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of Usenet

<uksoui$1oqca$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1027&group=news.admin.peering#1027

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,news.admin.peering,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 11:38:58 -0400
 by: Wally J - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 15:38 UTC

Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote

>> Together, maybe we can get Google to at least look at the problem we face.
>
> In the past, Google's response to getting many spam complaints for a group
> has been to block the group from being *read* on Google Groups.
> This would mean we will all lose access to DejaGoogle search in this group.

Thanks for that input, because you seem to a rare respondent who understood
the problem set, as most self-centered people think it's only about them.

Just filtering out the spam only helps one person; what I'm seeking (as
always) is a general-purpose solution that improves life for everyone.

That's why I posted this thread - to find people who cared about others.
(Where it's clear that most of the respondents only care about themselves.)

If Google wipes out the dejanews/dejagoogle search engine, that's bad.
Everyone loses if the dejanews/dejagoogle searcb engine is wiped out.

There is great utility in the dejanews archives found nowhere else.
a. Dejagoogle allows easy cites to individual threads & articles
b. Dejagoogle allows anyone to see those cites (no newsreader needed)
c. Dejagoogle allows searches without news server retention, etc.

What you understood is _everyone_ is affected when dejagoogle is.

It would mean that every discussion on this group would be unsearchable.
<http://groups.google.com/g/news.admin.peering>
<http://groups.google.com/g/news.admin.net-abuse.usenet>
<http://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android>

Except by HowardKnight (or narkives) neither of which has the same utility.
<http://news.admin.peering.narkive.com>
<http://news.admin.net-abuse.usenet.narkive.com>
<http://comp.mobile.android.narkive.com>

Note: I realize people who only post for their amusement won't have a need
for a general purpose search engine that the whole world can easily use.

> A couple of examples where this has already happened:
>
> * mozilla.support.seamonkey <https://groups.google.com/g/mozilla.support.seamonkey>
> * misc.test <https://groups.google.com/g/misc.test>
>
> �����~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ QUOTE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Banned content warning
> mozilla.support.seamonkey has been identified as containing spam,
> malware, or other malicious content.
> For more information about content policies on Google Groups see our
> Help Center article on abuse and our Terms of Service.
> [ Back to safety ]
> �����~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ QUOTE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for that example, although when Google took over DejaNews' search
engine, Google was never faithful to any product which competed with it.

An example is that the Windows XP newsgroup was already archived
<http://groups.google.com/g/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general>
But, Google refused to add the newer windows versions after that
<http://alt.comp.os.windows-8.narkive.com>
<http://alt.windows7.general.narkive.com>
<http://alt.comp.os.windows-10.narkive.com>
<http://alt.comp.os.windows-11.narkive.com>
Although, to Google's credit, there is one overarching Windows archive
<http://groups.google.com/g/alt.comp.microsoft.windows>
But, it's full of Google spam too (plus nobody usually posts to it).

I'm still shocked that Google Groups' Usenet portal allows all this obvious
spam, but if they're going to wipe out the dejanews/dejagoogle search
engine, even the self-centered people who will never understand this
problem set (which is 9,999 out of 1,000) will be adversely affected.
--
On Usenet we can discuss problems with people who have more information.

Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of Usenet

<uksr1e$1ouc2$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1028&group=news.admin.peering#1028

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,news.admin.peering,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 12:14:38 -0400
 by: Wally J - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 16:14 UTC

J�rg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote

>> What were your results when you called Google to help complain?
>
> A waste of time and none of your or anybody else's business in this group.

If you've never run a search before posting, then it won't affect you.

But it's everyone's business if they care about the utility of
search-before-posting and if they care to begin their next question at the
stage that others already fleshed it out so as to not repeat mistakes.

*Anyone can filter out spam*

Anyone can easily filter out all spam emanating from Google Groups'
accounts, but that spam isn't the problem that we're trying to solve.

*We're trying to save DejaNews/DejaGoogle web-searchable archives*

For those who care about the population at large, losing the utility
of the DejaNews archives is a big deal as it easily can affect everyone.

Yes. Everyone.
Well, anyone who is thoughtful enough to run a search before posting.

But - unfortunately - losing DejaNews also affects those _outside_ Usenet.

Because it only takes a web browser to run a search on anything.
<http://groups.google.com/g/<putnameofusenetgrouphere>

This helps everyone both inside the Usenet community & outside it.
a. Searchers don't need servers & readers; they only need a web browser
b. Recipients don't either; they click on a link to an article or thread
c. Retention is almost "permanent" (with regard to Dejanews' originals)

Therefore, this spam, if it kills DejaNews, affects everyone if not solved.
The only to solve the Dejanews issue is to get Google to stop the spam.

I saw Ralph Fox' post saying that the way Google solves that is to wipe out
the utility of the DejaNews search engine - so I hope that doesn't happen.
--
There are two kinds of people who post to Usenet, one of which is a class
of self-centered people who post only for their amusement - but the other

Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of Usenet

<ukt23l$1bvbr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1029&group=news.admin.peering#1029

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,news.admin.peering,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 18:15:17 -0000 (UTC)
 by: - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 18:15 UTC

In news.admin.net-abuse.usenet Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:
> If you know of a better way to complain about this, please let us know.

For projects such as Android that fall under Google Developers, maybe there is:
the Google Bughunters tracking system.

On Google Groups, there's a "public-ntp-discuss" group. It was created for
public discussion and support of the Google Public NTP Project under Google
Developers.

Recently, their group was overrun by spam in the same way as these Usenet
groups, and the group got replaced by a banned content warning. I reported this
as a security vulnerability (vulnerable to DOS attack) at bughunters.google.com
on Monday. I asked that it be brought specifically to the attention of the
Google Public NTP Project. Three days later their group is back online and the
spam is gone.

So it's not unthinkable that a bug report about comp.mobile.android being
vulnerable to DOS attack might also get some traction, if specifically reported
to the attention of the Android project under Google Developers, and if the
Android project team is invested at all in comp.mobile.android.

Cheers! Edward

Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of Usenet

<uktn2v$r9b$3@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1030&group=news.admin.peering#1030

From: doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,news.admin.peering,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2023 00:13:19 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 00:13 UTC

In article <uksoui$1oqca$1@paganini.bofh.team>,
> [...]
>
>An example is that the Windows XP newsgroup was already archived
> <http://groups.google.com/g/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general>
>But, Google refused to add the newer windows versions after that
> <http://alt.comp.os.windows-8.narkive.com>
> <http://alt.windows7.general.narkive.com>
> <http://alt.comp.os.windows-10.narkive.com>
> <http://alt.comp.os.windows-11.narkive.com>
>Although, to Google's credit, there is one overarching Windows archive
> <http://groups.google.com/g/alt.comp.microsoft.windows>
>But, it's full of Google spam too (plus nobody usually posts to it).
>
>I'm still shocked that Google Groups' Usenet portal allows all this obvious
>spam, but if they're going to wipe out the dejanews/dejagoogle search
>engine, even the self-centered people who will never understand this
>problem set (which is 9,999 out of 1,000) will be adversely affected.

Google Groups has now made the Dejanews Archive worth less than 1 cent US.

>--
>On Usenet we can discuss problems with people who have more information.

--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of Usenet

<uktquo$1v4ql$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1033&group=news.admin.peering#1033

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,news.admin.peering,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 21:19:20 -0400
 by: Wally J - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 01:19 UTC

The Doctor <doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote

> Google Groups has now made the Dejanews Archive worth less than 1 cent US.

To that point, it's not yet impossible to find something in Dejanews
web-searchable archives, but, with the spam-to-post ratio being 100:1,
it's certainly a _lot_ harder than it should be to use the search
productively.

Of course, a lot of people never search before posting, so, those are the
people who have already written saying there's no problem for them.

The problem, as you seem to understand, is for everyone who runs a search.

Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of Usenet

<uktrq5$296$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1034&group=news.admin.peering#1034

From: klu...@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,news.admin.peering,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: 8 Dec 2023 01:33:57 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 01:33 UTC

Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:
>That's why I posted this thread - to find people who cared about others.
>(Where it's clear that most of the respondents only care about themselves.)
>
>If Google wipes out the dejanews/dejagoogle search engine, that's bad.
>Everyone loses if the dejanews/dejagoogle searcb engine is wiped out.

They broke the indices years ago and old posts can no longer be found. They
are in there, but you can't get to them except by message-id.

>There is great utility in the dejanews archives found nowhere else.
>a. Dejagoogle allows easy cites to individual threads & articles
>b. Dejagoogle allows anyone to see those cites (no newsreader needed)
>c. Dejagoogle allows searches without news server retention, etc.

Yes, but it's broken. If it actually worked properly, the way it did
originally, it would be a huge benefit to Usenet as a whole. But mostly
it's not useful anymore.
--scott

Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of Usenet

<uktt3j$1v7vj$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1035&group=news.admin.peering#1035

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,news.admin.peering,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 21:56:03 -0400
 by: Wally J - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 01:56 UTC

Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote

>>If Google wipes out the dejanews/dejagoogle search engine, that's bad.
>>Everyone loses if the dejanews/dejagoogle searcb engine is wiped out.
>
> They broke the indices years ago and old posts can no longer be found. They
> are in there, but you can't get to them except by message-id.

Ruefully, I must agree that I can't find even my own articles sometimes,
when I know the keywords used, where, interestingly, sometimes my articles
are in the top of a "normal" Google search but not found in dejagoogle.

There was a WIRED article from a while back which said as much, that the
search engine isn't anywhere near the quality of the main Google Search.

Worse, Google removed the headers (which is probably good for privacy), so
the message-ID is only useful at Howard Knight (as far as I'm still aware).

In summary, it sucks - but it's still better than nothing, especially when
we want to search a newsgroup to see if the topic has been covered already.

An example is searching the alt.usage.english newsgroup before asking about
a word or searching the Android newsgroup before asking about ACR apps.
<http://groups.google.com/g/alt.usage.english>

Then the post we make _after_ that search won't start from the beginning.
It will start where the ball hit the ground & then we can push it forward.
--
(We need a name for what Google Groups' search engine is, as we're looking
at it from the Usenet perspective and not from the Google Groups angle.)

Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of Usenet

<uku0pf$1jntv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1036&group=news.admin.peering#1036

Followup: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
From: jmc...@magnetar.jmcunx.com (John McCue)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,news.admin.peering,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2023 02:58:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John McCue - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 02:58 UTC

Followups trimmed to news.admin.net-abuse.usenet

In news.admin.net-abuse.usenet The Doctor <doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote:
<snip>
> Google Groups has now made the Dejanews Archive worth less
> than 1 cent US.

There is this, they are trying to create a useful archive
of usenet:

https://yarchive.net/

--
[t]csh(1) - "An elegant shell, for a more... civilized age."
- Paraphrasing Star Wars

Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of Usenet

<87fs0ckpeu.fsf@yaxenu.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1042&group=news.admin.peering#1042

Followup: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
From: jsh...@yaxenu.org (Julieta Shem)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,news.admin.peering,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2023 00:47:37 -0300
sha1:bKNyVL4nB4ZaxfCPP278Z2c5dbc=
 by: Julieta Shem - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 03:47 UTC

kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) writes:

> Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:
>>That's why I posted this thread - to find people who cared about others.
>>(Where it's clear that most of the respondents only care about themselves.)
>>
>>If Google wipes out the dejanews/dejagoogle search engine, that's bad.
>>Everyone loses if the dejanews/dejagoogle searcb engine is wiped out.
>
> They broke the indices years ago and old posts can no longer be found. They
> are in there, but you can't get to them except by message-id.

That's already something of value, but I don't even know how to do that
anymore. I used to. By seeing how the interface changes from time to
time, I gave up on Google Groups even as an archive. I still think we
need a all-time USENET serious archive. I would like to locate any
message by message-id, no matter in which group it was posted. Is that
a dream?

Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of Usenet

<ul190l$298g6$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1043&group=news.admin.peering#1043

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,news.admin.peering,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2023 04:37:42 -0400
 by: Wally J - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 08:37 UTC

Julieta Shem <jshem@yaxenu.org> wrote

> I would like to locate any message by message-id, no matter in
> which group it was posted. Is that a dream?

You didn't mention whether or not you already know the message id.
If you already know it, what's wrong with the Howard Knight site?
<http://al.howardknight.net/>

If you don't already know the message id, I'm not sure of any lookup that
will give it to you - as I don't use the narkives & I think dejagoogle
stopped archiving the headers a few years ago (as I recall).
<https://news.admin.net-abuse.usenet.narkive.com>
<https://groups.google.com/g/news.admin.net-abuse.usenet>

How are you going to find the message id if you don't already have the
article's headers in your possession (e.g., from your news server)?

Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of Usenet

<ul19pk$259j9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1044&group=news.admin.peering#1044

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,news.admin.peering,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2023 09:51:00 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 08:51 UTC

On 07.12.23 19:15, metaed@newjersey.metaed.com wrote:
> On Google Groups, there's a "public-ntp-discuss" group.

Time servers are different ball game.
Probably you mean NNTP.

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of Usenet

<87jzpmk4m4.fsf@yaxenu.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1048&group=news.admin.peering#1048

Followup: news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
From: jsh...@yaxenu.org (Julieta Shem)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,news.admin.peering,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 02:29:07 -0300
sha1:UGZAF623SMf0/lO+cIEAhZeaY0U=
 by: Julieta Shem - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 05:29 UTC

Trimming the destinataries to news.admin.net-abuse.usenet only.

Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam> writes:

> Julieta Shem <jshem@yaxenu.org> wrote
>
>> I would like to locate any message by message-id, no matter in
>> which group it was posted. Is that a dream?
>
> You didn't mention whether or not you already know the message id.
> If you already know it, what's wrong with the Howard Knight site?
> <http://al.howardknight.net/>

I had never heard of this website. It's asking me for a username and
password, which I don't have. It also presenting a certificate issued
to a different hostname.

> If you don't already know the message id, I'm not sure of any lookup that
> will give it to you - as I don't use the narkives & I think dejagoogle
> stopped archiving the headers a few years ago (as I recall).
> <https://news.admin.net-abuse.usenet.narkive.com>
> <https://groups.google.com/g/news.admin.net-abuse.usenet>

I do know the message-id. I think it's nice if posts and papers could
reference a USENET article by the message-id and with a click of the
mouse people could look it up on the web or gopher, gemini or something.
Having to mention the group (along) seems undesired.

> How are you going to find the message id if you don't already have the
> article's headers in your possession (e.g., from your news server)?

Someone sends me an e-mail saying --- ``see <message-id> for how X can
be accomplished'' --- and some archive-service could display the message
given the <message-if>. The USENET could be what electronic archives
for scientific papers still can't do. (You read a paper, find a
reference and must still manually go to questionably legal services to
try to find a copy.)

Thanks for the pointers.

Re: Please complain to Google about their spamming of Usenet

<ul53qf$2k404$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1052&group=news.admin.peering#1052

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,news.admin.peering,news.admin.net-abuse.usenet
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 15:33:35 -0400
 by: Wally J - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 19:33 UTC

Brian Gregory <void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid> wrote
> I'm using news.individual.net and I don't see anything from Google
> Groups here.

Hi Brian,
Your admin appears to be working on the problem as shown here.
<https://groups.google.com/g/news.admin.peering/c/AgrNUeZuAkw/m/f9PSZkv4AAAJ>

Here's what he said, verbatim.
My apologies to the Individual.net news server admins.

==< cut here >==
We follow the discussion here and are aware of the Google spam problem. We
also have some anti-spam measures for our reader servers. But it is really
easy to find our contact address (news@individual.net) on
https://news.individual.net/

In the past, issuing a UDP� has often not been particularly successful.

Heiko (for Newsmaster-Team of individual.net)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet_Death_Penalty