From: none...@beez-waxes.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic,comp.ai.philosophy
Subject: Re:_The_nature_of_truth_itself_refutes_Tarski_undefinab
ility_and_Gödel_Incompleteness_[Haskell_Curry]
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 16:23:00 -0600
<tpqkig$1grl0$4@dont-email.me> <DF4wL.301599$iU59.57637@fx14.iad>
<tpru4c$1l3cv$1@dont-email.me> <mEmwL.250371$Tcw8.196338@fx10.iad>
<tpv38u$232uj$1@dont-email.me> <1ZEwL.670303$GNG9.306771@fx18.iad>
<tpv7uu$23v3o$1@dont-email.me> <x_FwL.44910$jiuc.8146@fx44.iad>
<tpvagg$2476p$1@dont-email.me> <PpGwL.51269$5S78.48563@fx48.iad>
<tpvd99$24hcb$1@dont-email.me> <B5HwL.235954$gGD7.160759@fx11.iad>
<tq18rt$2ctoh$1@dont-email.me> <JnWwL.51449$5S78.11560@fx48.iad>
<tq3ppj$2p0l5$1@dont-email.me> <kanxL.272261$Tcw8.207430@fx10.iad>
<tq6j0v$3aclv$1@dont-email.me> <spGxL.21958$eRZ7.17963@fx06.iad>
<tqc4n2$1lol0$2@dont-email.me> <a5nyL.60371$0dpc.12949@fx33.iad>
<tqeq6h$26n6q$1@dont-email.me> <z4DyL.258493$gGD7.69969@fx11.iad>
<tqf31u$289qa$1@dont-email.me> <HiEyL.61875$5S78.5946@fx48.iad>
<tqf3ru$289qa$2@dont-email.me> <1ZEyL.61876$5S78.28225@fx48.iad>
<tqm8g1$3ls24$1@dont-email.me> <1WyzL.261778$gGD7.162543@fx11.iad>
 by: olcott - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 22:23 UTC

On 1/23/2023 10:51 AM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> Red Herring.
>>>
>>> F is the Theory in Godels descussion.
>>>

>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metamathematics
>> LP := ~True(LP) is untrue yet that does not make it true.
>>
>> When we examine this at the meta level we escape the self-contradiction
>> and can say that it is true that LP is untrue.
>

> Excpet that untrue is not ~True() in classical logic, which makes
> statements either True or False, or makes them Not a Truth Bearer, which
> makes them not in the domain of the True predicate.
>
> You need to move to tri-value logic to do this, at which point you loose
> the relationship that ~True(x) -> False(x)

True / false and not a truth bearer.

> Note, most of mathematics is based on the two-value logic system.

Thus forcing it to classify "not a truth bearer" incorrectly.
If all you have is a hammer the unscrewing a screw becomes quite
destructive.

>> https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/tarski-truth/#195DefOff
>>
>> It looks like model theory is required to determine the truth of
>> some mathematical expressions, this had it origins in Tarski's
>> definition of truth.
>>
>> ∃n ∈ ℕ (N > 3)       // does not seem to need model theory
>> ∃G ∈ F (G ↔ (F ⊬ G)) // does not seem to need model theory
>>

> ∃ is a symbol out of model theory, so hard to not need model theory.
>
> Quoting from your reference:
>
> Model theory by contrast works with three levels of symbol. There are
> the logical constants ( = , ¬ , & for example), the variables (as
> before), and between these a middle group of symbols which have no fixed
> meaning but get a meaning through being applied to a particular
> structure. The symbols of this middle group include the nonlogical
> constants of the language, such as relation symbols, function symbols
> and constant individual symbols. They also include the quantifier
> symbols  ∀ and ∃, since we need to refer to the structure to see what
> set they range over.

I just showed how to explicitly specify what they range over: ∃n ∈ ℕ

>> G is true in F iff it cannot be shown that G is true in F
>>

> Nope, you don't understand what G is. The Definition of G in F does NOT
> refer in any way determinable in F to the statement G.

∃n ∈ ℕ (n > 3) // Is this true or false?
How do you know?

Generically how does ascertain that that any logic expression is true or
false?

Most generically an analytical expression of formal or natural language
is only true if it has a semantic connection to its truth maker axioms.

The "truth maker axioms" of natural language are the definition of the
meaning of its words.

The truth maker axioms for the above expression is the definition of the
ordered set of natural numbers:

https://www.britannica.com/science/Peano-axioms

--
Copyright 2023 Olcott

Arthur Schopenhauer

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Re: The nature of truth itself refutes Tarski undefinab

By: olcott on Tue, 10 Jan 2023

94olcott