The system was down for backups from 5am to 10am last Saturday.

computers / comp.ai.philosophy / Re: The nature of truth itself refutes Tarski undefinability and Gödel Incompleteness [Haskell Curry]

Re: The nature of truth itself refutes Tarski undefinability and Gödel Incompleteness [Haskell Curry]

<JLFzL.50264$jiuc.5653@fx44.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10363&group=comp.ai.philosophy#10363

Subject: Re:_The_nature_of_truth_itself_refutes_Tarski_undefinab
ility_and_Gödel_Incompleteness_[Haskell_Curry]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic,comp.ai.philosophy
<mEmwL.250371$Tcw8.196338@fx10.iad> <tpv38u$232uj$1@dont-email.me>
<1ZEwL.670303$GNG9.306771@fx18.iad> <tpv7uu$23v3o$1@dont-email.me>
<x_FwL.44910$jiuc.8146@fx44.iad> <tpvagg$2476p$1@dont-email.me>
<PpGwL.51269$5S78.48563@fx48.iad> <tpvd99$24hcb$1@dont-email.me>
<B5HwL.235954$gGD7.160759@fx11.iad> <tq18rt$2ctoh$1@dont-email.me>
<JnWwL.51449$5S78.11560@fx48.iad> <tq3ppj$2p0l5$1@dont-email.me>
<kanxL.272261$Tcw8.207430@fx10.iad> <tq6j0v$3aclv$1@dont-email.me>
<spGxL.21958$eRZ7.17963@fx06.iad> <tqc4n2$1lol0$2@dont-email.me>
<a5nyL.60371$0dpc.12949@fx33.iad> <tqeq6h$26n6q$1@dont-email.me>
<z4DyL.258493$gGD7.69969@fx11.iad> <tqf31u$289qa$1@dont-email.me>
<HiEyL.61875$5S78.5946@fx48.iad> <tqf3ru$289qa$2@dont-email.me>
<1ZEyL.61876$5S78.28225@fx48.iad> <tqm8g1$3ls24$1@dont-email.me>
<1WyzL.261778$gGD7.162543@fx11.iad> <tqn1c5$17d3$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<leEzL.52455$OD18.11187@fx08.iad> <tqn5sa$qs8$1@gioia.aioe.org>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 19:38:01 -0500
 by: Richard Damon - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 00:38 UTC

On 1/23/23 6:39 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 1/23/2023 4:54 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> True / false and not a truth bearer.
>>
>> That is your TRI-value logic.
>>

> It is true by logical necessity.
> Every expression of language must necessarily be
> true, false, neither true nor false.

Nope. You can also use a two level division like you actually talk about.

Statments are either Truth Bearers or they are Not

Truth Bearers are either True or they are False.

>>> Thus forcing it to classify "not a truth bearer" incorrectly.
>>> If all you have is a hammer the unscrewing a screw becomes quite
>>> destructive.
>>
>> Nope, a "statement" can be well formed, and thus MUST be a "Truth
>> Bearer" or it isn't and is NOT a "Truth Bearer"
>>
>> By ignoring that mathematically defined statement ARE "Truth Bearers",
>> you logic system is just broken.

>>> I just showed how to explicitly specify what they range over: ∃n ∈ ℕ
>>
>> Which means you are using "Model Theory"
>>
>> Maybe you don't understand those words.
>
> Model theory is used to define things that are not otherwise defined.
> When they are otherwise defined there is no need for model theory.

So, you don't understand what Model Theory is (or mixing different
definitions)

>>> ∃n ∈ ℕ (n > 3) // Is this true or false?
>>> How do you know?
>>
>> Simple, 4 exists (S(S(S(S(0)))), 4 > 3, 4 ∈ ℕ, thus the statement is
>> True. Like many (but not all) True statements, it can be proven.
>>

>>> Generically how does ascertain that that any logic expression is true or
>>> false?
>>
>> Note, "Ascertain" means you are talking about KNOWLEDGE, not Truth.
>>
>> Truth doesn't need to be ascertained to be true, it just is.
>>
>> It needs to be ascertained to be KNOWN.
>>
>> It is a TRUE statement that either all even numbers greater than 2 are
>> the sum of 2 primes or there exists at least one that is not. We don't
>> know which one of them is true right now, but we do know that one of
>> them is.
>>
>> This seems to be one of your core problems, confusing what can be
>> known to be true with what IS true.
>>

>>> Most generically an analytical expression of formal or natural
>>> language is only true if it has a semantic connection to its truth
>>> maker axioms.
>>
>> Right, but that connection might not be known, or might even be infinite.
>>
>> It is only KNOWLEDGE or PROOF that requires a finite connection.
>>>
>>> The "truth maker axioms" of natural language are the definition of the
>>> meaning of its words.
>>

>> No, the accepted Truth Maker Axioms of the Theory (not what their
>> words mean in Natural Language) determine what is true.
>
> of natural language such as English
> of natural language such as English
> of natural language such as English
> of natural language such as English

Which has been proven unsuitable for logic.

Given the statement:

If this sentence is true, Peter Olcott is a moron.

This is a valid logical statement of natural language form.

By the meaning of the words, it is TRUE, because if the sentence IS
true, then by the DEFINITION of True, it must be actually True.

Thus, since it HAS been proven true, its implication must be correct,
and thus YOU ARE A MORON.

The "flaw" in the statement is that Natural Language isn't suitable to
fully express logic.

>> Your reliance on "Natural Language" is what has actually been proven
>> to lead to problems.
>>

> The entire body of all analytical knowledge can only be expressed using
> language. Hardly any of this is currently expressed using formal
> language. All knowledge is necessarily true by definition.

Right, TECHNICAL/FORMAL language, not NATURAL language.

You are incorrect that hardly any of this is expressed using formal
language, and that is a major part of your problem. Words that are words
in "Natuaral Language" are frequently refined to a formal definition for
particular usage. If you don't understand that formal definition, or
even more important WHICH formal definition is needed for a given
statement, you won't understand it.

And All Knowledge being necessarily true is NOT a universal definition,
in fact, one of the problems of the study of knowledge is how to avoid
the introduction into "Knowledge" of things that we THINK are True but
are actually incorrect. We WANT everything that we (think we) know to be
actually true, but factually, since there IS a human element in the
aquisition of knowledge, there is a possibility of error and of thinking
we know something that isn't true.

>>> The truth maker axioms for the above expression is the definition of
>>> the ordered set of natural numbers:
>>>
>>> https://www.britannica.com/science/Peano-axioms
>>>

>> You understand that Godel showed that under the Peano-axioms, he
>> proved that their exists truths that can not be proven.
>
> We can make the Gödel number of "I just ate some chicken" using the
> adjacent ASCII values. This too cannot be proven in the Peano-axioms.

Nope. You don't understand what Godel does. Not understanding something
does not make it not true, you are just serving your Herring with Red Sauce.

Yes, you can set up a system where you use Godel's math to create a
number that represents the statement "I just ate some chicken", but that
statement has nothing to do with Godel's proof.

The fact you can throw out Red Herring that means nothing doesn't
discount the proof, it just proves you don't understand what you are
talking about.

>> It becomes a consequence of the induction axiom that allows him to be
>> able to define the primative recursive relationship that shows that
>> you can not prove within the theory that no nmber exists that matches
>> that theory, and also create an extention to that theory (that is used
>> to create that relationship) that allows us to actually prove that
>> statment must be true, and also that no proof of this can exist in the
>> base theory.
>>

> Its a mere gimmick.
> He acknowledged that the Liar Paradox forms an equivalent proof.

No, it isn't. If you think it is, then SHOW that it is. But to do that,
you need to understand what he did and where he "just used a gimmick"

All your statments show is that you just don't understand what he is
saying and are such a pathological liar that you will make up excuses to
cover that.

>> The induction property that proves it only comes in the extension (the
>> meta-theory) and is not in the base theory,
>
> "This sentence is not true" is self-evidently untrue yet that does not
> make the sentence true within the scope of self-contradiction.

Right, but he doesn't say it does.

He used the FORM of the statement to build a completely different
statement about provability that IS a Truth Bearer, and isn't
self-contradictory.

>> so the base theory can't make the proof, but can evaluate for every
>> term, thus making the INFINITE chain that makes it true in the Theory.
>>

> It is not an infinite chain, it is simply that the sentence is true
> outside of the scope of self-contradiction and impossible to evaluate
> within the scope of self-contradiction.

Nope, it is an infinite chain.

Your problem is you don't even understand the actual statment you are
talking about and are talking about something which isn't what it
actually is.

>> Peano ARITHMATIC changed that induction axiom to a first order logic
>> definition, weaking what the theory can do, but allows it to appear to
>> be complete, but NOT express ALL the properties of the Natural Numbers.
>>

> Natural numbers themselves never had the property of provability.

????

There are MANY proofs of properties of natural numbers.

> *The five Peano axioms are*
> (1) Zero is a natural number.
> (2) Every natural number has a successor in the natural numbers.
> (3) Zero is not the successor of any natural number.
> (4) If the successor of two natural numbers is the same, then the two
>     original numbers are the same.
> (5) If a set contains zero and the successor of every number is in the
>     set, then the set contains the natural numbers.
>
> https://www.britannica.com/science/Peano-axioms

Right, and from those you can prove a lot of properties of the Natural
Numbers.

I think you are just showing you don't even understand what provability
means.

Godel shows that from those 5 axioms and the basic principles of logic
(and a lot of theorems proven from them) he can prove that there are
some statments which are True, that can not be proven.

>> I beleive that it becomes the (or at least one of the) largest logic
>> system that retains "Completeness" while sitll being "Consistent".
>> (But it can't prove itself to be consistent)
>>
>> This is of course, over you head, so you wil  either deny it or just
>> ignore the refuation and go off on some other tack.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Re: The nature of truth itself refutes Tarski undefinab

By: olcott on Tue, 10 Jan 2023

94olcott