"We learn from history that we learn nothing from history." -- George Bernard Shaw

computers / comp.ai.philosophy / Re: HH(PP,PP) correctly determines that its input never halts [countability]

Re: HH(PP,PP) correctly determines that its input never halts [countability]

<fCYBL.93449$rKDc.12300@fx34.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10546&group=comp.ai.philosophy#10546

Subject: Re: HH(PP,PP) correctly determines that its input never halts
[countability]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
<AV0BL.508051$vBI8.173568@fx15.iad> <tr26im$224ep$4@dont-email.me>
<xa1BL.47576$4jN7.14231@fx02.iad> <tr29du$231mi$1@dont-email.me>
<tr29q3$1t68s$1@dont-email.me> <tr2b8a$23dag$1@dont-email.me>
<q%8BL.366613$MVg8.343692@fx12.iad> <tr3g74$29bak$1@dont-email.me>
<ALbBL.809006$GNG9.699189@fx18.iad> <tr3jfc$2a2r2$1@dont-email.me>
<v1dBL.137315$5CY7.62662@fx46.iad> <tr3vrc$2brj0$1@dont-email.me>
<lNfBL.137318$5CY7.33346@fx46.iad> <tr42be$2clev$1@dont-email.me>
<2egBL.137320$5CY7.43068@fx46.iad> <tr4442$2cvm2$1@dont-email.me>
<x%lBL.446226$iU59.247183@fx14.iad> <tr72v8$3008u$2@dont-email.me>
<JNEBL.56568$Lfzc.8999@fx36.iad> <tr76g7$30htb$3@dont-email.me>
<hfFBL.56571$Lfzc.21545@fx36.iad> <tr77kn$30htb$5@dont-email.me>
<ICFBL.148959$PXw7.15829@fx45.iad> <tr79ua$314l3$3@dont-email.me>
<ShGBL.379132$MVg8.373220@fx12.iad> <tr7jcf$35ano$2@dont-email.me>
<AsOBL.97465$SdR7.19119@fx04.iad> <tr8nac$3b0eb$2@dont-email.me>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 18:43:07 -0500
 by: Richard Damon - Mon, 30 Jan 2023 23:43 UTC

On 1/30/23 10:21 AM, olcott wrote:
> On 1/30/2023 6:10 AM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> No one can show even one mapping of a finite set of string inputs to
>>> IS_SUM that is not computable, thus the conclusion that there are more
>>> than one counter-example is totally refuted.
>>
>> ????
>>
>> You seem to think that is_sum computes multiple mappings.
>>
>> *A* mapping, as being talked about here, is a complete listing of the
>> required output for every possible input.
>>
>> IS_SUM computes *ONE* mapping of input to output.
>>
>> Yes, it can computer the

>>> Categorically exhaustive reasoning is my key innovation it utterly
>>> eliminates the error of omission.
>>
>> No, it is your key fallicy. You seem to think that a detail analysis
>> of one case tells you all you need about every case that you don't
>> look at.
>>
>> That is just
>>

>>> If it is impossible to show as many as a single counter-example then we
>>> can correctly generalize this to say that more than one counter example
>>> also does not exist.
>>
>> No, you are just using the fallacy of the Red Herring, because you
>> demand a counter-example of something that isn't the problem.
>>

> If no counter example can be provided that a decision problem is
> undecidable then this proves that it is decidable.

I HAVE given couter examples, you are just too stupid to understand them;

Your problem is you are stuck in your Herring with Red sauce and are
forgetting what the actual problem is.

>> How does your "IS_SUM" machine answer both the question of "is 8 the
>> sum of two primes?" and "is 8 a perfect number?" (assuming the first
>> is what you are defininig IS_SUM to be, not sure what else you mean,
>> sometime it seems like IS_SUM is computing the sum of two numbers give
>> to is, which isn't an "IS" question.
>>

> IS_SUM determines if its first finite string of ASCII digits is the sum
> of its remaining finite list of finite strings of ASCII digits. Maybe
> you need to take notes. There is also an adaptation of IS_SUM that takes
> arbitrary finite strings.

I don't remember you ever defining IS_SUM, and that definition is one of
the most worthless deciders possible.

So, how can you use IS_SUM to compute the mapping of IS_PRIME.

>> Note, these two question both take the SAME input (8), but have
>> different outputs,
>>
>> For IS_SUM_OF_PRIMES, the answer is yes, because 8 = 3 + 5
>>
>> For IS_PERFECT, the answer is no, because 8 has factors to 1, 2, 4
>> which only total to 7, not 8.
>>
>> You claim same machine, in is the same, output will be the same, thus
>> must give the wrong answer to one of them.
>
> One decision problem per TM. A finite number of different decision
> problems could be selected for computation by a single TM when the
> ordinal number of the decision problem is the first input parameter.

So, you totally don't understand the argument.

YES, one decision problem per TM

There are only a countable infinite number of TMs

There are an UNCOUNTABLE infinite number of decision problems.

Thus, not all decision problems can be computable.

> Every decision problem that operates on a finite set of finite strings
> is not uncomputable for any countability reasons.

How do you answ3er an uncountable number of problems with only a
countable number of machines?

You don't seem to understand the question, my guess is you are just too
stupid.

> The most straight forward to validate the Goldbach Conjecture is to
> simply test every element of the set of natural numbers. Since this is
> not a finite list of inputs it is not computable. Mathematical induction
> can be used to algorithmically compress the analysis of some infinite
> sets. https://www.britannica.com/science/Goldbach-conjecture

But you need to find an induction pattern that does compress it. Not all
infinte patterns can be shown with induction.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Re: HH(PP,PP) correctly determines that its input never halts

By: olcott on Wed, 25 Jan 2023

145olcott