From: david.br...@hesbynett.no (David Brown)
Newsgroups: comp.arch.embedded
Subject: Re: Shared Communications Bus - RS-422 or RS-485
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2022 11:58:19 +0100
<tk09ev$1f0de$1@dont-email.me> <tk0e27$1f1rv$1@dont-email.me>
<tk0mih$1g2fh$1@dont-email.me> <tk2fuo$1nau3$1@dont-email.me>
<tk2n7g$1o0ct$1@dont-email.me> <tk3839$1nau3$2@dont-email.me>
<tk3f2t$1t3hc$1@dont-email.me>
<3d9e5c38-93be-4504-b891-e0087053ebc7n@googlegroups.com>
 by: David Brown - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 10:58 UTC

On 04/11/2022 18:11, Rick C wrote:
> On Friday, November 4, 2022 at 12:36:51 PM UTC-4, David Brown wrote:

>>> In theory, if all the nodes on the bus were able to change direction in
>>> hardware (exactly at the end of the stop bit), you will not be forced to
>>> introduce any delay in the transmission.
>> Communication is about /reliably/ transferring data between devices.
>> Asynchronous serial communication is about doing that despite slight
>> differences in clock rates, differences in synchronisation, differences
>> in startup times, etc. If you don't have idle pauses, you have almost
>> zero chance of staying in sync across the nodes - and no chance at all
>> of recovery when that happens. /Every/ successful serial protocol has
>> pauses between frames - long enough pauses that the idle time could not
>> possibly be part of a normal full speed frame. That does not just apply
>> to UART protocols, or even just to asynchronous protocols. The pause
>> does not have to be as long as 3.5 characters, but you need a pause -
>> just as you need other error recovery handling.
>
> The "idle" pauses you talk about are accommodated with the start and stop bits in the async protocol. Every character is sent with a start bit which starts the timing. The stop bit is the "fluff" time for the next character to align to the next start bit. There is no need for the bus to be idle in the sense of no data being sent. If an RS-485 or RS-422 bus is biased for undriven times, there is no need for the driver to be on through the full stop bit. Once the stop bit has driven high, it can be disabled, such as in the middle of the bit. The there is a half bit time for timing skew, which amounts to 5%, between any two devices on the bus.

There are two levels of framing here, and two types of pauses.

For UART communication, there is the "character frame" and the stop bit
acts as a pause between characters. This is to give a minimum time to
allow re-synchronisation of the clock timing at the receiver. It also
forms, along with the start bit, a guaranteed edge for this
re-synchronisation. More sophisticated serial protocols (CAN, Ethernet,
etc.) do not need this because they have other methods of guaranteeing
transitions and allowing the receiver to re-synchronise regularly - thus
they do not need framing or idling at the character or byte level.

But you always want framing and idling between message frames at a
higher level. You always have an idle period that is longer than any
valid character or part of a message.

For example, in CAN communication you have "bit stuffing" any time you
have 5 equal value bits in a row. This ensures that in the message, you
never have more than 5 bits without a transition, and you don't need a
fixed start or stop bit per byte in order to keep the receiver
synchronised. But at the end of the CAN frame there is at least 10 bits
of recessive (1) value. Any receiver that has got out of
synchronisation, due to noise, startup timing, etc., will know it cannot
possibly be in the middle of a frame and restart its receiver.

In UART communication, this is handled at the protocol level rather than
the hardware (though some UART hardware may have "idle detect" signals
when more than 11 bits of high level are seen in a row). Some
UART-based protocols also use a "break" signal between frames - that is
a string of at least 11 bits of low level.

If you do not have such pauses, and a receiver is out of step, it has no
way to get into synchronisation again. Maybe you get lucky, but
basically all it is seeing is a stream of high and low bits with no
absolute indicator of position - and no way to tell what might be the
start bit of a new character (rather than a 1 bit then a 0 bit within a
character), never mind the start of a message.

Usually you get enough pauses naturally in the communication, with
delays between reception and reply. But if you don't have them, you
must add them. Otherwise your communication will be too fragile to use
in practice. You /need/ idle gaps to be able to resynchronise reliably
in the face of errors (and there is /always/ a risk of errors).

>>> Many times I'm the author of a custom protocol because some nodes on a
>>> shared bus, so I'm not forced to follow any specifications. When I
>>> didn't introduce any delay in the transmission, I sometimes faced this
>>> issue. In my experience, the bus is heterogeneous enough to have a fast
>>> replying slave to a slow master.

>>> Negligible doesn't mean anything.
>> Negligible means of no significance in comparison to the delays you have
>> anyway - either intentional delays in order to separate telegrams and
>> have a reliable communication, or unavoidable delays due to software
>> processing.
>
> The software on the PC is not managing the bus drivers. So software delays are not relevant to bus control timing.
>

>>> If thre's a poor 8 bit PIC (previous
>>> transmitter) clocked at 8MHz that changes direction in TXC interrupt
>>> while other interrupts are active, and there's a Cortex-M4 clocked at
>>> 200MHz (next transmitter), you will encounter this issue.
>>>
>> No, you won't - not unless you are doing something silly in your timing
>> such as failing to use appropriate pauses or thinking that 10 µs
>> turnarounds are a good idea at 9600 baud. And I did specify picking
>> sensible hardware - 8-bit PICs were are terrible choice 20 years ago for
>> anything involving high speed, and they have not improved. (Again -
>> sometimes you don't have control of the hardware, and sometimes there
>> can be other overriding reasons for picking something. But if your
>> hardware is limited, you have to take that into account.)
>>> This is more evident if, as you are saying, the Cortex-M4 is able to
>>> start processing the message from the PIC at the midpoint of last stop
>>> bit, while the PIC disables its driver at the *end* of the stop bit plus
>>> an additional delay caused by interrupts handling.
>>>
>>> In this cases the half bit time is not negligible and must be added to
>>> the transmission delay.
>>>
>> Sorry, but I cannot see any situation where that would happen in a
>> well-designed communication system.
>>
>> Oh, and it is actually essential that the receiver considers the
>> character finished half-way through the stop bit, and not at the end.
>> UART communication is intended to work despite small differences in the
>> baud rate - up to nearly 5% total error. By the time the receiver is
>> half way through the received stop bit, and has identified it is valid,
>> the sender could be finished the stop bit as its clock is almost 5%
>> faster (50% bit time over the full 10 bits). The receiver has to be in
>> the "watch for falling edge of start bit" state at this point, ready for
>> the transmitter to start its next frame.
>
> Yes, why would it not be? This is why there's no need for additional delays or "gaps" in the protocol for an async interface.

It will be in the right state at the right time, as long as it enters it
when the stop bit is identified (half-way through the stop bit) rather
than artificially waiting for the end of the bit time.

You need gaps in the character stream at a higher level, for error recovery.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Shared Communications Bus - RS-422 or RS-485

By: Rick C on Wed, 2 Nov 2022

93Rick C