From: jsev...@mailfence.com (Jason Evans)
Newsgroups: news.admin.hierarchies
Subject: New Usenet Archive
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2022 14:05:36 +0000
 by: Jason Evans - Mon, 7 Feb 2022 14:05 UTC

Hi all,

For the past month, I have been downloading and sorting Usenet archives from
a news server (with their permission) of everything from 2003 until today.
My next step is to decide how to upload them to archive.org.

Here is the current archive that runs from the 80's and 90's until around
2003: https://archive.org/details/usenethistorical

Each newsgroup hierarchy has its entry. I'm thinking about something
different, and I want you input on how to do that.

Here my plan. The following newsgroup hierarchies will have their own
entries:

Big-8:
comp
sci
news
misc
talk
humanities
soc

uk

de

alt will be broken down into subgroups because it's so huge.

alt-a-e
alt-f-j
alt-k-o
alt-p-t
alt-u-z

For example, alt.folklore.computers would be found in alt-f-j.

The rest of the hierarchies will be grouped together since they are
generally smaller and more likely to be nothing but spam.

Misc Newsgroup hierarchies-a-e
Misc Newsgroup hierarchies-f-j
Misc Newsgroup hierarchies-k-o
Misc Newsgroup hierarchies-p-t
Misc Newsgroup hierarchies-u-z

These are questions to you folks:

1. Does this makes since or would breaking everything down by individual
hierarchy be better?

2. If I do it this way, are there any other hierarchies that should not be
grouped with the misc. groups that should stand alone?

One final note. In case you're wondering, I am not archiving any binary
groups or any group that I think could get deleted because of the extremely
distasteful subject matter. I think you can get my gist about what I mean.
Everything else is here. Even the stupid spammy revenge froops.

Jason

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o New Usenet Archive

By: Jason Evans on Mon, 7 Feb 2022