Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 08:41:19 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: For Alan Baker
From: thomas.e...@gmail.com (Thomas E.)
 by: Thomas E. - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 16:41 UTC

On Thursday, February 8, 2024 at 10:30:12 PM UTC-5, Alan wrote:
> On 2024-02-08 17:17, Thomas E. wrote:

> >> No. You clearly did not.
> >> Yes. You quite clearly did.
> >> Rewriting history again, dick?
> >>
> >> I can see you've carefully taken down the videos you used to
> >> "prove" your claims previously.
> >>
> >> When was that?
> >> No. You gave a general query to Siri without even prefacing it
> >> with "directions to".
> >> Giving a general query to Siri is functionally different than
> >> tapping on the microphone icon IN Google's address field.
> >> Not when they are used in the same way, they aren't.
> >> No... ...I can just use my iPhone to do exactly the same things.

> >> What are your children's full names and birthdates?
> >>
> >> And Paula's. You certainly didn't mind putting her email out
> >> there.
> >>
> >> What? You won't give a complete and honest answer?
> >>
> >> Shocking.
> >
> > No I did not use Siri outside Maps.
> You're a liar or just too stupid to drive.
>
> You used SIRI and simply assumed that if Maps was showing, that anything
> you said would be limited to directions.
> > I did take those videos down. My Google Drive space was running low.
> Sure... ...dick.
> >
> > But I made a YouTube video last April in which I show that Siri on
> > CarPlay outside and within Maps fails to find two business locations
> > that Google can. Try the same on CarPlay in YOUR car. Then show me
> > your results on YouTube.
> And you still don't understand that Siri via CarPlay is STILL just using
> Siri...
>
> ...ON YOUR PHONE.
> >
> > Here is the video link. You can skip the intro, it has chapter
> > markers to let you do that. Yes, CarPlay makes a difference
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R7VdYHcmEk
> And right away, you assume that because you've brought up Apple Maps,
> anything you say to Siri will be interpreted as a request for directions:
>
> "Hey Siri, Northeast Taildraggers RC Club, Noblesville".
>
> As I've now said many times (because you're apparently too thick to
> comprehend it):
>
> Siri is a general purpose digital assistant.
>
> Just because Apple Maps is frontmost doesn't prevent you from asking
> Siri to play music or make a phone call.
>
> And even if Apple Maps doesn't find "Northeastside Taildraggers RC
> Aviation Club" (that's the name Google finds for it), that has nothing
> to do with Siri per se.
>
> And when you said, "12999" you dropped "north"...
>
> ...but when you searched using Google Maps, you suddenly included
> "north" again.
>
> You don't have an honest bone in your entire body... ...dick.
>
> And as we discussed before, you could have simple said "Get directions
> to Manor Care".
>
> That works from here in Vancouver... ...dick.
> >
> > My wife's and kids' personal details are very different from asking
> > you to point out my errors. You used that as a deflection to dodge my
> > question because you can't admit I'm correct.
> [...]

For someone who does not use CarPlay on a daily basis you seem to think you know how it works. It's not the same experience you get using Siri from a phone or tablet. As I said in the video, Siri works most of the time. Google Assistant is better at fuzzy logic.

Finally, if Siri cannot understand that a request coming from the Apple Maps App on CarPlay is asking for a location or directions what good is it for that purpose? That's the basis of the many issues cited in the YouTube video cited above. Now with the launch of Copilot Siri is falling even farther behind.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o For Alan Baker

By: Thomas E. on Sun, 4 Feb 2024

17Thomas E.