From: wolverin...@charter.net (sticks)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Upgrading an HP Z1
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 10:51:40 -0600
 by: sticks - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 16:51 UTC

On 1/27/2024 7:06 PM, Paul wrote:
> On 1/27/2024 1:43 PM, sticks wrote:
>> Trying to help the son get his desktop computer in a little better shape.  He's a 38 year old hard working guy who is trying to make it on his own, which I really admire.
>> The core box is from this class
>>
>> <https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/setup-user-guides/hp-z1-entry-tower-g5/model/28722929>
>>
>> This computer is mainly used for CAD type work, specifically SolidWorks, that he uses to
>> program files to use on his Doosan CNC machine.
>>
>> I found a few things when looking at it.
>> First, he only had a small 256 GB SSD drive, with no backup drive or additional storage capacity.
>> It looks like it came with only 8 GB DDR4 ram, but was immediately updated to 16 GB.
>> I'd like it to go to at least 32 to speed things up.
>
> https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/191792/intel-core-i7-9700-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-70-ghz.html
>
> Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) 128 GB
> Memory Types DDR4-2666
> Max # of Memory Channels 2 [Probably 4x32GB max, 2x32GB and remove the 2x8 might be a good choice)
>
>> Power supply should be big enough at 250 watts, though it does have a dedicated video card
>> which the SolidWorks sales guy recommended.
>
> Yeah, the box is limited to a 75W video card. And some threads I could find,
> some people pushing the Z1 as a "gaming machine". My ass. I have a 75W video card
> right now, and I would not game on that. But the card the SolidWorks guy recommended
> would be a Quadro with certified driver. That's what you're paying for is the
> certified driver. Not for a gamers idea of performance. Video card drivers
> are hobbled on purpose on gamer cards, to prevent people from doing
> SolidWorks on them :-) That's one of the reasons you listen to the salesman,
> for the explanation about card types and business practices.
>

>> First, it has the 2nd slot available for a 1TB M.2 SSD.  I figure I could copy the 256 GB image to the new 1 TB drive, and erase the 256 GB and use for storage once I've switched the connections for booting and am sure it works.
>>
>> There is a slot for a SATA spinner and appropriate cables from the power supply.  Not interested for now in an external drive, because for him time is an important factor.  I don't want him sitting around waiting for files to be copied/written from/to a USB drive when he could be working.
>
> Backup software like Macrium, computes a checksum as it goes and that is
> a rate limiting step. Macrium lacks the threading for improved performance.
>
> But for straight out Drag and Drop copies, this would be pretty fast.
>
> I'm not very good at picking hardware, and there might be some really
> expensive Apple ecosystem stuff you could use. We'll just offer a taste.
> While there are currently two USB4 addon cards for sale, unlike previous
> addons, nobody can use them. They require an I/O cable from some sort of
> 18 pin GPIO interface. Nothing in my room has the connector for that, so
> [...]

Good stuff. Thanks Paul.

I took your advice and got two 32 GB sticks of ram. I'll put the two 8
GB in my box.
I did get a Samsung SSD, and two spinner drives, and 8GB for the kid and
a 4GB for myself.
Should get it next Friday and will try getting it in over next weekend.
Interested to see if he gets a little improvement.

sticks

--
Stand With Israel!
NOTE: If you use Google Groups I don't see you,

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Upgrading an HP Z1

By: sticks on Sat, 27 Jan 2024

7sticks