From: agis...@gm.invalid (André G. Isaak)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Subject: Re: What if a cat barks?
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 12:38:57 -0600
 by: André G. Isaak - Tue, 22 Jun 2021 18:38 UTC

On 2021-06-22 11:05, olcott wrote:
> On 6/22/2021 11:47 AM, André G. Isaak wrote:

>>> When we are trying to determine whether or not an infinite loop is an
>>> infinite loop we can debug step through this code and see that it
>>> endlessly repeats and there is no escape from this endless repetition
>>> in this code. It is not really that hard.
>>
>> Which has nothing to do with what I wrote.
>>

> It explains the details of how a computation that must be aborted by the
> halt decider to prevent the infinite execution of this computation <is>
> a computation that never halts.

Which, once again, has nothing to do with what I wrote.

>>> We really have to look at this in terms of H and P because there is
>>> no other possible way to make sure that we examine all the details
>>> when we try to imagine what a Turing machine might do.
>>
>> Which doesn't answer my question. Where is your 'sound deductive
>> argument'?
>>

> (a) Every computation P that never halts unless the halt decider H
> aborts this computation is a computation that never halts.
>
> (b) X is a computation that never halts unless it is aborted by its halt
> decider.
>
> ∴ (c) X is a computation that is correctly decided to be a computation
> that never halts.

Premise (b) is false, so this is not a 'sound deductive argument'

>>> C) H decides to discontinue the simulation.
>>> This is very terribly incorrect
>>>
>>> H MUST stop its simulation of P or P never halts
>>
>> Which is subsumed under option C. The above enumerates all logical
>> possibilities.
>>

> Then you needs a (D)

Why?

> (C) H MUST stop its simulation of P or P never halts
>
> (D) H stops its simulation of P for some other reason.

Your (C) and (D) are both covered by my (C).

>>> H MUST stop its simulation of P or P never halts
>>> H MUST stop its simulation of P or P never halts
>>> H MUST stop its simulation of P or P never halts
>>> H MUST stop its simulation of P or P never halts
>>>
>>> This is not at all the same thing as H arbitrarily stops simulating P
>>> for possibly no good reason at all.
>>
>> Option C never said anything about why it aborts the simulation.
>
> That is its horribly terrible error. To simply ignore the key most
> important halt deciding criteria is a terribly awful mistake.

Clearly you have reading comprehension problems. The halting status of
the *simulator* has nothing to do with the halting status of its input
computation if the simulator is capable of aborting the simulation of
that input. That applies equally to your (C) and your (D). In either
case, the simulator can halt.

>> Whether it aborts it because it MUST do so (or, in your case, because
>> you think it MUST stop its simulation) or for some other reason, or
>> for no reason at all, H can still halt.
>>

> When-so-ever H must abort its input to prevent the infinite execution of
> this input H always correctly decides that this input never halts 100%
> of all the time.
>
> We can know this in the same way that we know that a dead person is not
> alive.
>
>>> This is not at all the same thing as H arbitrarily stops simulating P
>>> for possibly no good reason at all.
>>>
>>> This is not at all the same thing as H arbitrarily stops simulating P
>>> for possibly no good reason at all.
>>>
>>> This is not at all the same thing as H arbitrarily stops simulating P
>>> for possibly no good reason at all.

>>> 100% of every single detail of the execution trace of the input
>>> without the most minute details not totally and completely specified.
>>> We just flat out can't do that with TM's of the sophistication of H
>>> and P.
>>
>> Of course we can. People work with actual Turing Machines all the time
>> and they don't have to 'imagine' anything.
>
> Only for very trivial things.
> No one has even attempted to write a C to TM compiler.
>
>> You just don't want to work with actual Turing Machines because you
>> don't understand what they are or how they work.
>>
>> André
>>

> The lack of direct memory access cripples the expressiveness of the TM
> model.

You really should learn something about Turing Machines. You really
don't grasp what they are for.

André

--
To email remove 'invalid' & replace 'gm' with well known Google mail
service.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o What if a cat barks?

By: olcott on Mon, 21 Jun 2021