"Well hello there Charlie Brown, you blockhead." -- Lucy Van Pelt

computers / comp.theory / Re: What if a cat barks? [ sound deduction is a proof ](infinite invocation chain)

Re: What if a cat barks? [ sound deduction is a proof ](infinite invocation chain)

<ZmDBI.855721$nn2.135856@fx48.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=17214&group=comp.theory#17214

Subject: Re: What if a cat barks? [ sound deduction is a proof ](infinite
invocation chain)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
<YuOdnXMSQcOgqk_9nZ2dnUU7-QPNnZ2d@giganews.com> <savr2l$b1i$1@dont-email.me>
<48GdnbWRNeocCU79nZ2dnUU7-TXNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sb0f72$hf4$1@dont-email.me>
<6POdnUnCSvCzVk79nZ2dnUU7-a3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <sb0kra$ert$1@dont-email.me>
<kaudnZS1vPJiaE79nZ2dnUU7-QHNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<C0_AI.793830$2A5.649020@fx45.iad>
<udKdnabaTsZvOkn9nZ2dnUU7-dvNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<OlbBI.605613$J_5.348305@fx46.iad>
<fO6dnQEYd73PmEv9nZ2dnUU7-TmdnZ2d@giganews.com>
<u9oBI.267517$lyv9.157656@fx35.iad>
<eKednajHd_LtuEv9nZ2dnUU7-TvNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<ALqBI.113709$od.33914@fx15.iad>
<cvednUP16NqYokv9nZ2dnUU7-bHNnZ2d@giganews.com> <HksBI.267$al1.209@fx26.iad>
<BuOdncUXaL2swkv9nZ2dnUU7-W-dnZ2d@giganews.com>
<6IuBI.115687$431.109356@fx39.iad>
<RKCdnSS4Ifj44Uv9nZ2dnUU7-VvNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<hxvBI.20803$9q1.10955@fx09.iad>
<I8WdnT2QqrV5G0v9nZ2dnUU7-WvNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<EZvBI.43029$7Y.22867@fx03.iad>
<yr2dnWJMMpJLBEv9nZ2dnUU7-dvNnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 06:32:27 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Sat, 26 Jun 2021 10:32 UTC

On 6/25/21 11:07 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 6/25/2021 9:07 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> P(P) specifies in infinite invocation sequence that is terminated on its
>>> third invocation of H(P,P).
>>>
>>> P(P) specifies in infinite invocation sequence that is terminated on its
>>> third invocation of H(P,P).
>>>
>>> P(P) specifies in infinite invocation sequence that is terminated on its
>>> third invocation of H(P,P).
>>>
>>> P(P) specifies in infinite invocation sequence that is terminated on its
>>> third invocation of H(P,P).
>>>
>>> P(P) specifies in infinite invocation sequence that is terminated on its
>>> third invocation of H(P,P).
>>>
>>> Now I have told this this several hundred times.
>>>

>> WRONG.
>>
>> P(P) starts.
>>
>> Calls H(P,P)
>>
>> H starts the simulation.
>>
>> H simulates P starting
>>
>> H simulates P calling H
>>
>> H simulates H starting its simulation
>>
>> H simulates H simulating P starting
>>
>> H simulates H simulating P calling H
>>
>> The first H about here detects what it THINKS is an infinite execution
>>
>> THe first H aborts its simulation
>>
>> The first H returns its answer (Non-Halting) to its caller
>>
>> P then Halts
>>
>> Showing P is a Halting Computation.
>
> As you already admitted P ONLY halts because some H aborts some P
> otherwise P never ever halts.
>
> As you already admitted P ONLY halts because some H aborts some P
> otherwise P never ever halts.
>
> As you already admitted P ONLY halts because some H aborts some P
> otherwise P never ever halts.
>
> As you already admitted P ONLY halts because some H aborts some P
> otherwise P never ever halts.
>
> As you already admitted P ONLY halts because some H aborts some P
> otherwise P never ever halts.

Yes, P halts because the H it contains terminated the simulation of
another copy of its description.

YOUR problem is that you think that actually means something, it doesn't

Halting is DEFINED as the ultimate operation of the machine. Did it
finish or not. The fact that in its path to finishing it did a
simulation that it terminated doesn't affect that.

Your problem is that you have latched onto a misinterpretation of a run
that can be used to decide if you need to abort a simulation to answer
about it. (Key, it defines what is correctly terminating, not Halting).

Your mind has lost all contact with reality since the fact that you
admit that P(P) does come to its final halt somehow doesn't tell you
that P(P) is a computation that halts. Why is Halting not Halting?

Ultimately, I think the issue is that you don't really care about this
problem, only that it inconveniently proves something that you don't
want to accept as true, so you just assume it can't be. You are
incapable of actually dealing with the truth that truth itself is more
complicated than you want it to be.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o What if a cat barks?

By: olcott on Mon, 21 Jun 2021