From: news.x.r...@xoxy.net (Richard Damon)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Subject: Re:_André_doesn't_know_Rice's_Theorem_[_Malc
olm_]_[_self-contradiction_must_be_treated_differently_]
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 13:35:34 -0700
<sdn40f$5ea$1@dont-email.me> <IYGdnV9avtZj0mL9nZ2dnUU7-d-dnZ2d@giganews.com>
<sdnjhs$30s$1@dont-email.me> <QNOdnRIn-O3-xmL9nZ2dnUU7-fvNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<sdnn91$k7p$1@dont-email.me> <tbGdnZb32okl_GL9nZ2dnUU7-UvNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<sdnrb7$al5$1@dont-email.me> <PMCdnSCWQLiK5mL9nZ2dnUU7-S_NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<sdnua6$n7p$1@dont-email.me> <zPudnUgsAvKV42L9nZ2dnUU7-fXNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<sdo03c$uid$1@dont-email.me>
<d619424f-35d7-4fc2-bc33-d4b0bdb57966n@googlegroups.com>
<m-mdnbNOsMXYuJ38nZ2dnUU7-YnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sdpf12$ij8$1@dont-email.me>
<d46dnQp1b-ua3p38nZ2dnUU7-d_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <sdpnjb$1q3$1@dont-email.me>
<NpmdnV9AwpJkV538nZ2dnUU7-QXNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sdqjgu$mun$1@dont-email.me>
<yvKdnaD9etCe-Jz8nZ2dnUU7-Q3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <sdrt9e$upt$1@dont-email.me>
<Z6qdna6B7Zq-FZz8nZ2dnUU7-SHNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sds8a4$djb$1@dont-email.me>
<uISdndIApsxJJZz8nZ2dnUU7-YvNnZ2d@giganews.com>
 by: Richard Damon - Wed, 28 Jul 2021 20:35 UTC

On 7/28/21 1:06 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 7/28/2021 1:40 PM, André G. Isaak wrote:

>>> If an infinitely recursive sequence of function calls is aborted on
>>> the second call instead of the first call that does not mean that it
>>> was not an infinitely recursive sequence.
>>
>> But the definition of halting makes no mention of infinitely recursive
>> sequences or aborted function calls. It only requires that P(P) reach
>> a final state in a finite amount of time. P(P) meets this definition.
>>

> If we base the decision on whether or not P halts entirely on the fact
> that it reaches its final state then we have the same situation as "This
> sentence is not true." It is indeed not true and the definition of a
> true sentence is whether or not its assertion is satisfied.

No, that is NOT true. Remember, to ask the Halting Question, does P(I)
Halt when run or not, P has to be specified, thus if P is H^, then H^
has to be specified, and by the definition of H^, H has to be specified.

Thus, arguments like, 'What should H return?' are improper at this
point. H HAS been specified to get here, so that answer might have been
asked earlier, but its answer has been chosen.

Given that, The question 'Does H^(H^) Halt when run?' has definitive answer.

If H(H^,H^) returns non-halting, then by the rules of constructing H^
then H^(H^) will Halt.

If H*H^,H^) returns halting, then by the rules of constructing H^ then
H^(H^) will fall into an infinite loop.

These are the ONLY possibilities for an H that meets the requirements of
a decider. And in both cases H is wrong.

The other possibilities are H(H^,H^) might get stuck in an infinite
loop, in which case H^(H^) will also be non-halting, or H(H^,H^) might
Halt in some other state and not answer, making H^(H^) also Halt. In
both of these cases H fails to even meet the requirements of a decider.

In both of the first two cases, It is quite easy to build a decider to
get the answer right (since H^ is built on the original H, not this new
decider), so it isn't true that there is no possible answer as in the
liar's paradox.

> When we explicitly take into account the self-contradictory nature of
> these two cases things are not as cut-and-dried.
>
> "This sentence is not true." is indeed not true yet when we apply this
> to the satisfaction of the whole sentence and not just its assertion
> then we get a contradiction. If it is true that it is not true then that
> makes is not true.

The difference it the statement "This sentence is not true" can not be
assigned a valid truth value.

The question "Does H^(H^) Halt when run (for a SPECIFIC H)?" Has a
specific answer, and this answer is even Provably true if we can prove
what answer H(H^,H^) will give.

Thus, your argument is WRONG, The Halting Question is NOT Paradoxical,
or Pathelogical.

> It is an easily verifiable fact that the input to H(P,P) cannot possibly
> reach its final state while H remains a pure simulator. Because H
> remains a pure simulator until after it makes its halt status decision
> then its decision that its input never halts is necessarily correct.

Right, but it doesn't prove the statement you want it to, all it proves
is that no H can actually PROVE that H^(H^) is Halting. This does NOT
show that H^(H^) is non-halting. That can be proved, for H(H^,H^) saying
non-halting, but just running or simulating H^(H^), which shows it halts.

You are adding the FALSE premise that all Truth is Provable.

> That the first P in the infinitely recursive sequence reaches its final
> state after H has made its correct halt status decision is just like
> saying the liar paradox is true on the basis that its assertion is
> satisfied.

No. UNSOUND LOGIC.

P Halting shows that P IS a Halting Computation.

That No H can simulate to this just shows that no H can prove this answer.

Since Truth is NOT always provable, this is a perfectly fine results.

In fact, your argument basically proves this fact, we have a result that
is Provably true with a larger logic, but within the logic of H, the
fact that H^(H^) is Halting is not Provable.

>>> While H remains a pure simulator of its input H(P,P) its input never
>>> halts thus proving that its input never halts.
>>
>> But the definition of halting makes no mention of what happens inside
>> H, regardless of whether it remains a 'pure simulator'. It only
>> requires that the actual computation P(P) reach a final state in a
>> finite amount of time. P(P) meets this definition.

>>> It is still true that H(P,P) did correctly decide that its input
>>> never halts. Because this is difficult to understand I am temporarily
>>> changing the subject to Rice's theorem.
>>
>> No, it is not. The definition of halting is clearly defined, and P(P)
>> clearly meets the definition of halting. Rice's theorem has no bearing
>> on the fact that P(P) is halting computation.
>>

> In this exact same way we would have to say that the liar paradox is
> true because its assertion that it is not true is fully satisfied.
>
> Whenever the assertion of a declarative sentence is satisfied we know
> that this declarative sentence is true unless this declarative sentence
> is self-contradictory.
>
> Whenever H decides that its input never halts its input never reaches a
> final state. When its input is self-contradictory then another different
> instance of the program that is not an input to H may halt.

But the MACHINE the input represents DOES reach the Halting State, which
is the ACTUAL Question that H is supposed to be answering, and thus we
can PROVE that H^(H^) is Halting and that H(H^,H^) saying non-halting is
WRONG.

>>> I did not say that P(P) does not halt in a pure simulator, you must
>>> pay careful attention to every single word that I say. When you skip
>>> a single word that reverses the meaning of what I say.
>>>
>>> The input to H(P,P) never halts while H remains in pure simulator mode.
>>
>> So what's the difference between a 'pure simulator' and H running in
>> 'pure simulator mode'? One would have assumed that the latter meant
>> that H was acting as a pure simulator.
>>

> H is evaluating the halt status of its input on the basis of what the
> behavior of this input would be if H never aborts the simulation of this
> input.

Right, it is analysing its input under a FALSE assumption, and thus it
reaches an UNSOUND conclusion, and thus it can be WRONG.

> As Ben has unequivocally agreed any simulation that only halts because
> it was aborted is a non-halting computation.

Right, but that isn't what you have, you have a simulation that gets
aborted even though it didn't need to, as can be seen because UTM(H^,H^)
comes to a halt in finite time (at least if H(H^,H^) is non-halting).

Thus H was WRONG, because it didn't need to.

>>> It correctly detects that the P of int main() { P(P); } reaches its
>>> final state.
>>
>> Which means that P(P) meets the definition of halting and is therefore
>> a halting computation.

>>> The code to reject inputs has not even been fully designed yet.
>>
>> So why talk about it, then? Until you actually have it you're just
>> blowing smoke.
>>
>>> It is easy to see that the criteria for this already exists.
>>
>> No. It isn't.

>>> The input to H(P,P) never halts while H remains in pure simulator mode.
>>
>> But the definition of halting makes no mention of what happens inside
>> H, regardless of whether it remains in 'pure simulator mode'. It makes
>> no mention of H at all. It only requires that the *actual* computation
>> P(P) reach a final state in a finite amount of time. P(P) meets this
>> definition.
>>
>> André

>>> So what?

>>> I am not going to go down the path of infinitely nested operating
>>> systems.
>>>

> The bottom line is that self-contradiction must be treated differently,
> the conventional rules do not apply to self-contradiction.

Nope, Definitions are Definitions.

LIARS ARE LIARS.

> When the assertion of a declarative sentence is satisfied this makes the
> sentence true unless the sentence is self-contradictory.

Does H^(H^) Halt when run give that H(H^,H^) says Non-Halting? is a
PROVABLY TRUE STATEMENT.

> The fact that "This sentence is not true." is not true does not make the
> sentence true because the sentence is self-contradictory.
>
> When a simulating halt decider reports that its input does not halt then
> no instance of the same program ever reaches a final state unless the
> input program specifies self-contradiction.

WRONG.

UNSOUND LOGIC.

LIAR LIAR YOUR PANTS ARE ON FIRE.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider

By: Mr Flibble on Mon, 19 Jul 2021

524Mr Flibble