A programming language is low level when its programs require attention to the irrelevant.

computers / comp.theory / Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [ Ĥ.qx(⟨Ĥ⟩,⟨Ĥ⟩) == Ĥ.qn ] [ succinct ]

Re: Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider [ Ĥ.qx(⟨Ĥ⟩,⟨Ĥ⟩) == Ĥ.qn ] [ succinct ]

<kiHOI.2713$5O.1928@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=19502&group=comp.theory#19502

Subject: Re:_Black_box_halt_decider_is_NOT_a_partial_decider_[
Ĥ.qx(⟨Ĥ⟩,⟨Ĥ⟩) == Ĥ.qn ] [ succinct
]
Newsgroups: comp.theory
<877dhec8wh.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <dtudnULpgO1VVWP9nZ2dnUU7-TmdnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87pmv4ab6r.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <JNadnQD-Ofr-SJz8nZ2dnUU7-XHNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<871r7i6n2u.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <OqKdnROLKJ9CdJz8nZ2dnUU7-avNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87k0la542c.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <1NidnVPZ-NHDl5_8nZ2dnUU7-enNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87sfzw3ao1.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <7oKdnTjx4IC20p78nZ2dnUU7-TvNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<875yws36vt.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <j66dnbdHrpV8_p78nZ2dnUU7-aXNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87im0s0ydp.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <Brqdnfehrf0Kj5n8nZ2dnUU7-X3NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87tukblgjy.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <qtGdnfuXs4nFOZn8nZ2dnUU7-cnNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<871r7ekugt.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <K5-dndGZo_-VmJv8nZ2dnUU78QvNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87czqxa0zk.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <ktidnbuI6J5g8Zr8nZ2dnUU7-XfNnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2021 20:38:22 -0500
 by: Richard Damon - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 01:38 UTC

On 8/1/21 9:56 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 8/1/2021 5:54 AM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
>> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> writes:

>>> A better notation is what I have in my PDF actual subscripts but
>>> people here tel me that their newsreader makes sure to totally ignore
>>> posts with HTML so that do even see the post at all.
>>
>> I am happy you have a notation you like.  Are you prepared to address
>> that fact that your H^ is not "as in Linz"?

>>> Ĥ[0] is to be interpreted to mean Ĥ<sub>0</sub>
>>>   [0] Means the actual Turing machine and not a TM description.
>>>   [1] Means the first TM description parameter
>>>   [2] Means a copy of the the first TM description parameter
>>>
>>> Now I am saying that when the actual unmodified Linz Ĥ is understood
>>> to have a UTM/Halt-Decider at Ĥ[0].qx that this Ĥ[0].qx does correctly
>>> decide that its input: (⟨Ĥ[1]⟩, ⟨Ĥ[2]⟩) can't possibly ever reach its
>>> final state of Ĥ[1].qn or Ĥ[2].qn, therefore we know that its input
>>> never halts therefore we know that a state transition from Ĥ[0].qx to
>>> Ĥ0.qn is necessarily correct.
>>
>> We all know you are declaring that to be correct.  Here's why your Ĥ is
>> not "as in Linz".  Linz requires that
>>
>>    Ĥ.q0 wM ⊢* Ĥ.qx wM wM ⊢* Ĥ.qn
>>    if M applied to wM does not halt
>>
>> Any Ĥ that eventually transitions to Ĥ.qn on input wM must do so
>> if, and only if, the encoded M applied to wM does not halt.  But you've
>> given us a case where your Ĥ is not like this:
>>
>>    Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn
>
> *This did not show up in my other news server so I am pointing it again*
>
> And when we eliminate the fallacy of equivocation error we have
>
> Ĥ[0].q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ[0].qx ⟨Ĥ[1]⟩ ⟨Ĥ[2]⟩ ⊢* Ĥ[0].qn
>
> The way that you do it when your twin bother commits a crime that makes
> you guilty.

Except for Turing Machines, you do every thing your 'twin brother' does,
so if he commits a crime, so did you, so you ARE guilty.

> Ĥ[0].q0 ⟨Ĥ[1]⟩ only halts because the simulation of the
> the input to Ĥ[0].qx ⟨Ĥ[1]⟩ ⟨Ĥ[2]⟩ was aborted.
>
> (a) The simulation of the input to Ĥ[0].qx ⟨Ĥ[1]⟩ ⟨Ĥ[2]⟩
> was aborted because neither ⟨Ĥ[1]⟩ nor ⟨Ĥ[2]⟩ could
> ever possibly reach their final states.
>
> (b) Because neither ⟨Ĥ[1]⟩ nor ⟨Ĥ[2]⟩ could ever possibly reach
> their final states we know that they never halt.
>
> (c) Because they never halt we know that Ĥ[0].qx correctly decided
> that its input never halts.
>
> This is the same as: X > Y & Y > Z therefore X > Z
> I do seem to have a correct chain of inference.
> I do not think that you can point to any error in
> this chain of inference.
>
> In an honest dialogue when you would disagree that a
> chain of inference derives a correct conclusion you
> would point to a specific error in this chain of inference.
>
> What is the error in (a)(b)(c) ?

Because that isn't the definition of Halting. The definition is what the
ACTUAL machine does, and by the definition of a UTM what the simulaion
by a REAL UTM would do. A simulator that aborts its simulation is NOT a
UTM -- PERIOD.

The fact that H^[1] is aborted before it reaches the state that H^[0] is
KNOWN AND ADMITTED to reach, we know that H^[1] WILL do exactly the same
thing if allowed to continue.

The fact that H make the error and aborts its simulation too soon
doesn't change this fact.

THe fact that UTM((H^[1]), (H^[2])) will halts (since this IS the
identical computation to H^[0]((H^[1]) since all (H^[i]) are identical.

>> Here we can see that Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ halts.  You can call your Ĥ's
>> behaviour "correct".  You can call it anything you like.  But it's not
>> "as in Linz".  It does not say anything about Linz's proof.  It does not
>> do anything people would call impossible or even interesting.
>>
>> Presumably, you will simply explain, yet again, why you choose to call
>> it correct.  You might even, yet again, quote the symbols from Linz that
>> don't apply to your Ĥ in order to make you posts seem relevant.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Black box halt decider is NOT a partial decider

By: Mr Flibble on Mon, 19 Jul 2021

524Mr Flibble