Subject: Re: How do we know H(P,P)==0 is the correct halt status for the input to H?
Newsgroups: comp.theory
References: <3YOdnecvDsA5Q4r8nZ2dnUU7-TXNnZ2d@giganews.com> <qdESI.53526$M14.34426@fx11.iad> <N9OdnZVmheHKhob8nZ2dnUU7-RudnZ2d@giganews.com> <s0FSI.19521$lK.19067@fx41.iad> <a7idnTYs7dNmgob8nZ2dnUU7-WHNnZ2d@giganews.com> <ToMSI.25497$Thb4.14112@fx35.iad> <2rSdnfB8eLnVRYb8nZ2dnUU7-b_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <LtXSI.32$tv2.30@fx45.iad> <HMCdnaohdr_m2IH8nZ2dnUU7-d3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <ZMYSI.11$Oz2.8@fx47.iad> <TdqdnUhYw5KvwYH8nZ2dnUU7-ffNnZ2d@giganews.com> <EcZSI.233$kr4.37@fx48.iad> <XNudnXSIDcuj_IH8nZ2dnUU7-efNnZ2d@giganews.com> <utZSI.8$LV.5@fx05.iad> <B_udnbM9Dd6R-IH8nZ2dnUU7-R-dnZ2d@giganews.com> <mGZSI.5$S25.3@fx11.iad> <s8GdnVpbercE94H8nZ2dnUU7-d3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <Fm_SI.15$Oz2.13@fx47.iad> <8sGdndqWyfAU6IH8nZ2dnUU7-dPNnZ2d@giganews.com> <MS_SI.222$Nc1.145@fx34.iad> <QrOdnYXCAMdJ5oH8nZ2dnUU7-W3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <Jf%SI.430$Uc5.280@fx44.iad> <1amdnQKZhuSXFYH8nZ2dnUU7-c2dnZ2d@giganews.com> <Af5TI.23$Oz2.6@fx47.iad> <Ee6dnb19NpQyjID8nZ2dnUU7-V3NnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 19:43:05 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Wed, 18 Aug 2021 23:43 UTC

On 8/18/21 9:57 AM, olcott wrote:
> On 8/18/2021 5:26 AM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> While H does nothing to change the behavior of its input
>>> H does do something that changes the behavior of its input.
>>
>> Not what I said.
>>

> It is what you implied.
>
>> H does affect the machine that uses it.
>>

> H has no effect on the machine that it simulates until after its halt
> status decision has been made. This conclusively proves that H can
> ignore its in execution trace during its halt status analysis.

No, that is NOT a proof. What establish axiom or theorem are you basing
this 'proof' on.

FAIL

UNSOUND.

> Anyone disagreeing with this is either not intelligent or knowledgeable
> enough to understand it, or a liar.

Anyone making such a statement is proving that they are an ignoramous.

> That H does effect the behavior or its input at some other point is
> utterly irrelevant to this analysis. We are only answering the single
> question: Is it correct for H to ignore its own execution trace during
> its halt status analysis?

Which you have NOT established. Since any copy of your H, if run long
enopugh WILL abort its simulation (or it is the Hn that doesn't answer
so starts off wrong). It is UNSOUND logic for H to presume that the H is
is simulating will not abort its simulation.

Remember, YOU have established that the act of aborting the simulation
doesn't actually change the behavior of the machine it is simulating,
therefore it is valid to take that exact same input and run it with a
truely pure simulator, i.e. a REAL UTM, and when we do, we see that in
that case, the input will proceed to the point where its H will decide
to abort is simulation, return the non-halting result, and that machine
will then Halt.

Since the simulating machine aborting hasn't changed the 'real' behavior
of the machine, only how much we have seen, it is thus clear that <H^>
applied to <H^> is actually a halting computation, and H was WRONG in
deciding elsewise, BECAUSE it used the UNSOUND logic of assuming that
the simulated H would never abort its simulation.

FFFFFFFFFF AA IIIIIIIIII LL
FF AA AA II LL
FF AA AA II LL
FFFFFF AAAAAAAAAA II LL
FF AA AA II LL
FF AA AA II LL
FF AA AA IIIIIIIIII LLLLLLLLLL

>> H0 does not affect the behavior of the machine that is represented by
>> its input, P1.
>>
>> H1, which is used by P1, does affect the behavior of P1.
>>
>> If you want to try some stained logic to claim that No H affects the
>> behavior of any P because an instance of P is used as an instance of H
>> then you are using Unsound Logic.
>>
>> By the method of construction, the behavior of P is directly controlled
>> by the behavior of H.
>>
>> To deny that is to say you are not following the pattern.
>>
>> FFFFFFFFFF       AA      IIIIIIIIII  LL
>> FF             AA  AA        II      LL
>> FF           AA      AA      II      LL
>> FFFFFF       AAAAAAAAAA      II      LL
>> FF           AA      AA      II      LL
>> FF           AA      AA      II      LL
>> FF           AA      AA  IIIIIIIIII  LLLLLLLLLL
>>

>>> By this same reasoning all black cats are white.
>>
>> Nope. Strawman.
>>
>> UNSOUND LOGIC.
>>
>> Please try to actually PROVE something, you are just using rhetorical
>> arguments that aren't actually very good.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o How do we know H(P,P)==0 is the correct halt status for the input to

By: olcott on Sat, 14 Aug 2021

470olcott