The two most common things in the Universe are hydrogen and stupidity. -- Harlan Ellison

computers / comp.theory / Re: How do we know H(P,P)==0 is the correct halt status for the input to H? (possible duplicate)

Re: How do we know H(P,P)==0 is the correct halt status for the input to H? (possible duplicate)

<NJQTI.16197$Zu3.13472@fx03.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20007&group=comp.theory#20007

Subject: Re: How do we know H(P,P)==0 is the correct halt status for the input
to H? (possible duplicate)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
<87v942qpkj.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <W4CdnecJQbhMP4D8nZ2dnUU7-WXNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87h7fmqllh.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <lKidnapLuffcKID8nZ2dnUU7-R-dnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87zgtep4zl.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <E8adnbBrnoijI4D8nZ2dnUU78RXNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87lf4xpnqa.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <CbSdna_sjJJB6IP8nZ2dnUU7-KednZ2d@giganews.com>
<87v941nts4.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <VvWdnXOn9-FkL4P8nZ2dnUU7-VXNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87mtpdnqz2.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <kOSdnelR8rLKX4P8nZ2dnUU7-LnNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87h7flnnyq.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <L8WdnS009KS9SYP8nZ2dnUU7-c_NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87bl5tni1t.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <gY2dnf8hF_7Vc4P8nZ2dnUU7-QdQAAAA@giganews.com>
<871r6pylg3.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <_vWdncL-lplbl4L8nZ2dnUU7-f3NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87lf4wxuub.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <uoudnbh9kIUTXYL8nZ2dnUU7-VvNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87fsv4xicb.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <JZidnd1WvP9TV4L8nZ2dnUU7-UPNnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 12:27:23 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 16:27 UTC

On 8/20/21 11:31 AM, olcott wrote:
> On 8/20/2021 10:10 AM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
>> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> writes:

>>> I am not going to bother to answer all of this so that you can stay
>>> focused on one key point:
>>
>> You are not going to stay focused on the most serious error you have yet
>> posted?
>
> You have to go though the following reasoning and point out the specific
> error. Making a blanket assertion that there is an error somewhere does
> not count as any rebuttal at all.
>
> Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn
>
> The first (executed) Ĥ has a dependency on these two (simulated) ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩
> that do not have a dependency on the first Ĥ, this makes their position
> in the execution trace have an effect on their behavior.

The first H^, is given as an input, <H^>, the representation of that
H^. H^ has a defined algorithm of what it will do to given that input.

The simulated <H^> <H^>, by definition of representation means that it
must execute in a UTM exactly like that H^ given <H^>. PERIOD.

There 'position' in the exection trace has ZERO impact on what there
actual behavior as machines.

Yes, H^, because it is not a real pure simulation, but only a partial
simulation, does create a full execution trace of its input, but that
doesn't make that input represent a non-halting computation, it just
leaves the execution state of the input unproven.

> Perhaps this is simply beyond your capacity to understand?
>
> When we define Ĵ to be exactly like Ĥ except that it has a UTM at Ĵ.qx
> instead of a simulating halt decider then we can see that Ĵ applied to
> ⟨Ĵ⟩ never halts.

So, J isn't H^, so that doesn't really mean anything about H^

> Ĵ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĵ.qx ⟨Ĵ⟩ ⟨Ĵ⟩ ⊢* Ĵ.qn
>
> From this we can conclude that while the simulating halt decider at Ĥ.qx
> remains in pure simulation mode (thus not aborting the simulation of its
> input) Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ never halts.

But since it does abort its simulation, it isn't J. PERIOD.

H^ is not J

> Because we have already agreed that when the pure simulation of an input
> to a simulating halt decider never halts then this input is correctly
> decided as never halting then we can correctly conclude that the input
> to Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ is correctly decided as never halting.

But a pure simulation until it is aborted is NOT a pure simulation. PERIOD.

UNSOUND logic.

>> A error that makes it plain, using a solid symbolic formalism
>> that your H is wrong?  OK.  That's up to you.  At some point you will
>> have to correct that error, but I am happy for you to leave it for now.
>> It means I can post it every now and then if I think there is a danger
>> someone might take you seriously.
>>
>> You need to start by agreeing that ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ is a string that encodes a
>> halting computation.
>
> You have to find the specific error in my rebuttal of this. Making a
> blanket assertion that there is an error somewhere does not count as any
> rebuttal at all.

See above, clearly pointed out Definition of Pure Simulation is
simulating until the machine terminates in a halt state. Acting like a
simulator for a while and then stopping is NOT a pure simulation, PERIOD.

If it reaches the halting state, it proves Halting (because then it DID
continue as long as the real pure simulator). If it stops before it
reaches that point, it is NOT a pure simulation and gives a different
result. Assuming that it gives the same result is UNSOUND logic.

>> How computations are encoded as strings, and which
>> strings should be accepted and which rejected, is the very essence of
>> the problem you wasted the last 17 years on.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o How do we know H(P,P)==0 is the correct halt status for the input to

By: olcott on Sat, 14 Aug 2021

470olcott