The devil finds work for idle glands.

computers / comp.theory / Re: How do we know H(P,P)==0 is the correct halt status for the input to H? [ distinct computations ]

Re: How do we know H(P,P)==0 is the correct halt status for the input to H? [ distinct computations ]

<eReWI.310$Im6.15@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20328&group=comp.theory#20328

Subject: Re: How do we know H(P,P)==0 is the correct halt status for the input
to H? [ distinct computations ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory
<87fsuzaq8t.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <__WdneskYvGLiLj8nZ2dnUU7-U3NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87zgt69xah.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <pc6dnd7lf6NfI7j8nZ2dnUU7-fXNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87r1eha6x8.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <yK2dnZkA2Nsu5Lv8nZ2dnUU7-THNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<_8BVI.106$GD7.95@fx23.iad> <FaydnfJTMNyofrv8nZ2dnUU7-e3NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<i7CVI.13$jl2.7@fx34.iad> <5Y6dndhJqqgGcrv8nZ2dnUU7-RWdnZ2d@giganews.com>
<ihCVI.186$2B4.3@fx04.iad> <CeidnS_08apsaLv8nZ2dnUU7-RmdnZ2d@giganews.com>
<sg6ss9$o8n$1@dont-email.me> <SZ-dncSHQLR3Z7v8nZ2dnUU7-W2dnZ2d@giganews.com>
<VdDVI.486$lC6.43@fx41.iad> <LfednRsEJtD1mbr8nZ2dnUU7-bHNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<WIDVI.5960$Kv2.3004@fx47.iad>
<eISdnXBd1-CTkrr8nZ2dnUU7-eednZ2d@giganews.com> <XgKVI.13$tG6.4@fx39.iad>
<eeydndtCipmXDbr8nZ2dnUU7-YfNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<biVVI.4472$o45.2372@fx46.iad>
<e5qdne9vgZtEvLX8nZ2dnUU7-WednZ2d@giganews.com>
<OGWVI.12677$Kv2.11978@fx47.iad>
<ko2dnV8MlJyYa7X8nZ2dnUU78cHNnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 19:48:24 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 23:48 UTC

On 8/27/21 10:26 AM, olcott wrote:
> On 8/26/2021 7:51 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> H is required to be a single machine or the HP proof is not refuted.
>>>

>> Yes, H is *A* machine, so it has a SPECIFIC definition, SPECIFIED BEFORE
>> YOU GET INTO THE PROOF.
>>

> The key detail that everyone left out that was unspecified because no
> one else ever thought it all the way through is what happens when H is a
> simulating halt decider.

Because it doesn't make a difference, as the definition of Halting
doesn't care about how you make the decision, only what the decision is
an what the machine actually does,

>> Thus, every time YOU talk about a change to H, you just broke the rules
>> of the proof and have to start over.
>>

> Bullshit is was never specified that H is not a simulating halt decider.

H is a SPECIFIED Halt Decider. Change the specifications, and everything
you have previously determined about H^ is no longer valid.

>> When you posit questions about if H ..., you are outside the proof. Any
>> of your if H ... must be a factual Truth Bearer (or is illogical).
>>
>> If H doesn't abort the simulation, well that statement is either TRUE,
>> or it is FALSE. IF it is True, that decision has consequences, like H
>> won't answer the question H(<H^>,<H^>). If it is false, you make an
>> error if you perform logic assuming it never does.
>>

> We can see that a hypothetical H that never aborts its simulation never
> halts because its input never halts, therefore H is correct to abort its
> simulation and report that its input never halts.

But if H is a Halt decider that does abort, your hypothetical H that
doesn't is non-existant at best or a logical contradiction.

The behavor of the Hn^ based on the Hn that doesn't abort tells you
NOTHING about the behavior of the Ha^ that is based on the Ha that does.

That is like your 'proof' that cats bark that you did by using a dog
instead of a cat and asked what if the dog was a cat.

>> Also, you statement about if H waited long enough for some other copy of
>> it to make its decision is basically a null set for your design. Since
>> the H inside will take just as long to make its decision as the H doing
>> the simulation, to figure out how long it needs to simulate is like
>> finding the answer to the problem find an X that is greater than X+1,
>> there is no such number, so their can't be a machine with your type of
>> algorithm that can simulate long enough to simulate a copy of itself
>> making the same decision.
>>

> This is the key part that must be beyond your intellectual capacity.
>
> Not at all. We can see that this infinite recursion criteria is met:
>
> Infinite recursion detection criteria:
> If the execution trace of function X() called by function Y() shows:
> (1) Function X() is called twice in sequence from the same machine
> address of Y().
> (2) With the same parameters to X().
> (3) With no conditional branch or indexed jump instructions in Y().
> (4) With no function call returns from X().
> then the function call from Y() to X() is infinitely recursive.

UNSOUND LOGIC. Assumption that H never aborts when it does.

FAIL.

> and on the basis abort the simulation of the input.
>
>> Note, this doesn't say that Halting Problem is a bad problem, just that
>> this particular method doesn't work. It just so happens that we know
>> that ANY method we come up with won't be able to work, because the job
>> has been proven to be impossible.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o How do we know H(P,P)==0 is the correct halt status for the input to

By: olcott on Sat, 14 Aug 2021

470olcott