Sorry. I just realized this sentance makes no sense :) -- Ian Main

computers / comp.theory / Re: The key mistake of the Peter Linz HP proof

Re: The key mistake of the Peter Linz HP proof

<HdNYI.9968$2B4.2576@fx04.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=20702&group=comp.theory#20702

Subject: Re: The key mistake of the Peter Linz HP proof
Newsgroups: comp.theory
<e5MYI.63146$o45.48779@fx46.iad> <sh02pf$kib$1@dont-email.me>
<xrMYI.67004$Kv2.7463@fx47.iad>
<JJOdnfu1wu_cB678nZ2dnUU78LXNnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 12:33:42 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Sat, 4 Sep 2021 16:33 UTC

On 9/4/21 12:09 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 9/4/2021 10:40 AM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> That is not an input to the halt deciders, that it an input to the
>>> simulators.
>>>

>> WRONG. Read the definition of a Halt Decider again.
>>

> It has never occurred to anyone ever before that there could be such a
> thing as a simulating halt decider, at least not to the extent that I
> have elaborated it.

That is incorrect. Look at page 317, Linz discusses the issue of using a
UTM as the basis for a Halt Decider. YOU have yet to disprove his claim
that it can be done, as your H still doesn't correctly predict what the
machine that was provided as

> It is an easily verifiable fact that H1 and H are a pure function of
> their execution trace input.

But that isn't what their input is defined to be!

Their input is <H^> <H^>, the description of the machine and input to
decide on. There is no 'execution trace' as that input. They generate
that trace as part of their processing, but since they start with the
same input and are supposedly the same code they should get the same answer.

> The last detail of this is how these execution traces can be different
> when they are based on simulating P(P). I am still working this out.

Yes, show how too IDENTICAL pieces of code given an IDENTICAL input can
come up with different results. The only ways for this to happen is that
you have a non-deterministic machine, or the code uses some data that
isn't part of that defined identical input (which makes the code not an
Computation).

Now, I know why the results differ, but that of course blows your how
argument, so you don't want to hear it.

>>     the Turing machine halting problem. Simply stated, the problem
>>     is: given the description of a Turing machine M and an input w,
>>     does M, when started in the initial configuration q0w, perform a
>>     computation that eventually halts? (Linz:1990:317).
>>
>> The input to the Halt Decider is a Description of a Turing machine M and
>> an input w.
>>
>> A simulating Halt decider may pass the input to its simulator part and
>> look at the results, but its input is just the Description of the
>> machine and input, and it derives all the rest of its information from
>> that.
>>
>> It gets NO knowledge about surrounding computations, so its answer can
>> not be dependent on them.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o The key mistake of the Peter Linz HP proof

By: olcott on Sat, 4 Sep 2021

50olcott