From: m.del...@this.bitsnbites.eu (Marcus)
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Subject: Re: Skybuck's Purchase Considerations for possibly new PC in 2021 or
2022.
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 12:53:27 +0200
 by: Marcus - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 10:53 UTC

Den 2021-10-22 kl. 09:37, skrev BGB:
> [...]
>>> High resolution monitors are overrated for gaming purposes, male
>>> vision is limited to in front/focus.
>>> Wide screen monitors are overrated and is slight waste of money
>>> except for development purposes, however scrolling the desktop could
>>> solve this problem, windows has no scrolling desktop a major
>>> oversight of Microsoft company.
>>> Extreme wide screen monitors are a total waste of money, except if
>>> you want to experience "virtual reality" being inside of it all. It
>>> will incur a heavy graphics cards investment, plus heavy cooling
>>> solution, plus extra electricity costs.
>>> However the trend is towards 4K monitors, lower resolution support
>>> will become scarce in future, it is recommedable to buy a
>>> large-resolution monitor for future compability and work station usage.
>>>
>>> HDMI is still the best audio technology out there, especially for 7.1
>>> surround sound, any gamer should have a 7.x surround sound system,
>>> also blueray movies come nowadays with 7.1 surround sound which is
>>> enjoyable and immersive.
>>>
>>> HDMI might be insufficient for 4K display technology, however there
>>> is hdmi 2.0 ? Display port is also mentions, not sure which is the
>>> latest and greatest
>>> in display bandwidth, this is an oversight of this document for now,
>>> it's still rapidly changing and developing, thunderbolt/usb 4.0 ? is
>>> also mentioned
>>> as a possible display technology. If based on graphics cards
>>> technology than can be replaced in future to benefit from new display
>>> technologies.
>>>
>>> Good viewing angles for monitors are recommended to view videos on
>>> screen/monitor from any angle without having to adjust screen angle.
>>> OLED seems to be latest and greatest display technology for this, but
>>> there is burn-in-risk, therefore not convinced that this is a good
>>> thing. This could
>>> be main reason why OLED is rare for computer displays. This is where
>>> PC has adventage, monitor can be swapped in for another one if
>>> unhappy about monitor or want
>>> to buy something better, it is recommendable to have a cheap backup
>>> monitor, this backup monitor could be used to try different display
>>> technology.
>>>
>>> Audio chips nowadays seem integrated onto motherboards, this makes
>>> choice of motherboard very important to have 7.1 audio technology,
>>> however most motherboards
>>> dont have it, however HDMI via graphics cards is possible but then
>>> graphics card must have HDMI connector on the back, this might
>>> change/become unavailable
>>> in future, for this reason it would be recommendable to have
>>> additional pci express slots available to mount future audio cards or
>>> other future devices.
>>>
>>> This means motherboard should have at the very least 1 pci express
>>> slot for video card, though a cpu+gpu=apu unit could free up one
>>> slot, 1 pci express slot
>>> for audio card, 1 pci express slot for futuristic network technology,
>>> 1 pci express slot for futuristic usb technology, 1 pci express slot
>>> for futuristic device.
>>>
>>> Leading to a bare minimum of 5 pci express slots, preferably 6 for
>>> two futuristic devices.
>>>
>>> They key to building a PC which is ready for the future is in DDR5
>>> and especially PCI Express 5.0 and also number of lanes per slot for
>>> the devices.
>>>
>>> PCI Express 5.0 has total bandwith of 126 GB for a 16 lane, basically
>>> 8 GB/lane. (32x lanes are also possible but is rare in practice).
>>>
>>> For futuristic graphics card it is preferred to have a 16x lane slot
>>> For futuristic usb card it is preferred to have a 16x lane slot.
>>> For futuristic network card it is preferred to have a 16x lane slot.
>>> For future audio card a 1x lane slot should be more than sufficient.
>>> For additional futuristic devices 8x lanes should provide some
>>> bandwidth to give these new devices a try.
>>>
>>> Leading to a motherboard pci express slot design of:
>>> 16x
>>> 16x
>>> 16x
>>> 1x
>>> 8x
>>> 8x
>>>
>>> For a total ammount of 65 pci lanes for slots alone.
>>>
>>> I also want some fast solid state disks, at least 4 should be
>>> mounteable in motherboard.
>>>
>>> Apperently m2 slots are 4 pci lanes so this would mean another 16 pci
>>> slots.
>>>
>>> For a total of 76 pci lanes.
>>>
>>> Motherboard should also have at least 4 sata ports for big fat
>>> harddisk support/storage solutions.
>>>
>>> I am willing to sacrifice one 16x pci slot maybe even two to reduce
>>> this number by 32 and stick with build in usb and ethernet.
>>>
>>> Thus this could reduce 76 to 76-32 = 44 pci lanes.
>>>
>>> The only current processor technology that comes close to this number
>>> AMD threadripper or Intel X/Skylake/Cascade.
>>>
>>> Skylake had many security issues, threadripper has a bit more lanes.
>>>
>>> So my final conclusion and hope is the following:
>>>
>>> A threadripper release with the following properties/chipset design:
>>>
>>> 32-cores with smt, 5.0 GHz or more would be super, 4.0 GHz minimum
>>> would be cool. 32 = 160 GHz or 128 GHz (a bit on low side ;))
>>> or 64 cores without smt, 5.0 GHz. = 320 GHz <- very interesting ! ;)
>>> if windows problems fixed than more could be interesting too. But for
>>> now 32 seems to be sweet spot. Also cost-wise is more interesting and
>>> reasonable.
>>> DDR5 memory for speed.
>>> 2 terrabytes of addressible memory on motherboard
>>> PCI Express 5.0 is an absolute must have anything else will be
>>> considered "old garbage". Give me any good reason why not to go full
>>> PCI Express 5.0 on motherboard
>>> designs ? Costs ? Heat ?
>>> Latest build-in USB to try and prevent pci lane usage if possible,
>>> connect it via special way ?
>>> Latest ethernet build in to try and prevent pci lane usage if possible.
>>> 4 sata ports
>>> 4 solid state disk ports whatever the latest and fastest tech might be.
>>> 8 channel memory to be preferred for maximum memory capacity.
>>> 2 10 gigabit network ports, preferably 100 gigabit if possible, at
>>> least one would be very nice.
>>> HDMI for audio to external receiver would be very nice.
>>>
>>> Bye for now,
>>> Skybuck.
>>
>> More and more applications (FPGA tools, applications built from
>> source) are recommending 32GB RAM.
>> And a flash drive makes a world of difference in load times.
>>

> My PC has 48GB of RAM and another 200GB worth of pagefile space on an SSD.
>
> Holds up reasonably well for the most part.
>
> If one has a MOBO with an M.2 slot (mine does not) in theory they could
> get an extra fast M.2 SSD to use mostly as for the pagefile.

I stopped using swap partitions/files a few years ago. I found that any
time I get into a situation that the swap area is actually used, things
get so slow that the machine is not really useful. I mean, it would
probably be OK if the machine performance went down to 20% when the swap
is used, but in reality it's more like a grinding halt.

I very rarely miss the swap (perhaps once a year I set up a swap file in
order to pull off some odd task). Not sure if the situation is different
on Windows. I'm on Linux (32 GB RAM) - which may go easier on memory
usage over all?.

> Most of the time, the RAM mostly gets eaten up by Firefox, but
> occasionally if I rebuild GCC or LLVM from source, it gets pushed to its
> limits (and this is where having 200GB or so of swap space comes in
> handy...).
>

> Otherwise, yeah, I have gone and sorta gotten around to working on
> implementing the 96-bit XMOV extensions for BJX2 (actually useful or
> not, still TBD).
>
> Turns out that extending the virtual address space to 96 bits was
> actually a little cheaper than I was expecting (in terms of both
> resource costs and timing).
>
> Not really sure what to say about it, at the moment, apart from noting
> that this address space will be __huge... Nowhere __near the reach of
> the default pointer size, a bit of a __far cry actually...
>
> Anyone who remembers MS-DOS or Win16 will probably know what I am
> getting at here...
> Yeah...

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Skybuck's Purchase Considerations for possibly new PC in 2021 or 2022.

By: skybuck2000 on Mon, 18 Oct 2021

3skybuck2000