Heisenberg may have been here.

computers / comp.theory / Re: Is it possible to create a simple infinite emulation detector? [ cite sources ]

Re: Is it possible to create a simple infinite emulation detector? [ cite sources ]

<APCdnQ5GM5sVsNL8nZ2dnUU7-LvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21773&group=comp.theory#21773

Subject: Re: Is it possible to create a simple infinite emulation detector? [
cite sources ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory
<zdadnY2h_8XZBNP8nZ2dnUU7-VfNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<yJudnR--ko-QO9P8nZ2dnUU7-fPNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<JwC3J.125611$F26.32557@fx44.iad>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2021 09:09:11 -0500
 by: olcott - Sat, 25 Sep 2021 14:09 UTC

On 9/25/2021 5:06 AM, Richard Damon wrote:
> On 9/25/21 12:31 AM, olcott wrote:

>>> If the question was:
>>> Does P on its input stop running?
>>> Then H provides the wrong answer.
>>>
>>> THIS IS NOT THE QUESTION
>>> THIS IS NOT THE QUESTION
>>> THIS IS NOT THE QUESTION
>>> THIS IS NOT THE QUESTION
>>>
>>> I have told you this many hundreds of times so I estimate that you may
>>> have an actual neurological disorder.
>>
>> I must correct my mistakes when I become aware of them. In this case you
>> made no mistake and were only going by the title of the post. I
>> apologize for my mistake.
>>
>> H detects that its input never reaches its final state.
>>

> Again, you use that bad terminology.

When the context has been that H is a simulating halt decider that
simulates its input and I have told you this at least a thousand times
pretending to forget that I said this is a real jackass move.

> Inputs don't actually DO anything.
>
> The program P (P) that is the machine the input to H represents, does
> reach its final state, and thus is a Halting Computation.

It is a verifiable fact that the input to H(P,P) cannot possibly reach
its final state whether or not H stops simulating it. It is a verifiable
fact that H does simulate P(P) correctly. That you disagree without
knowing the x86 language well enough to comprehend the proof that I am
correct is a real jackass move.

> Yes, H doesn't see that state in its simulation, because it stoppeed
> simulating too soon and returned the wrong answer.
>
> PERIOD.

You are being a jackass. Please stop.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Is it possible to create a simple infinite emulation detector?

By: olcott on Thu, 23 Sep 2021

59olcott