Everyone has a purpose in life. Perhaps yours is watching television. -- David Letterman

computers / comp.theory / Re: Is it possible to create a simple infinite emulation detector? [ cite sources ]

Re: Is it possible to create a simple infinite emulation detector? [ cite sources ]

<f3I3J.203346$T_8.196429@fx48.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=21781&group=comp.theory#21781

Subject: Re: Is it possible to create a simple infinite emulation detector? [
cite sources ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory
<zdadnY2h_8XZBNP8nZ2dnUU7-VfNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<yJudnR--ko-QO9P8nZ2dnUU7-fPNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<JwC3J.125611$F26.32557@fx44.iad>
<APCdnQ5GM5sVsNL8nZ2dnUU7-LvNnZ2d@giganews.com> <kRH3J.1162$2m1.716@fx26.iad>
<sYednff1iP8m1tL8nZ2dnUU7-a3NnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2021 12:24:43 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Sat, 25 Sep 2021 16:24 UTC

On 9/25/21 12:18 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 9/25/2021 11:09 AM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> When the context has been that H is a simulating halt decider that
>>> simulates its input and I have told you this at least a thousand times
>>> pretending to forget that I said this is a real jackass move.
>>
>> But since you keep on saying that even though the machine that the input
>> represents is admittdly halting, somehow 'the input' isn't, so you can't
>> be using the standard definiton.

>>> It is a verifiable fact that the input to H(P,P) cannot possibly reach
>>> its final state whether or not H stops simulating it. It is a verifiable
>>> fact that H does simulate P(P) correctly. That you disagree without
>>> knowing the x86 language well enough to comprehend the proof that I am
>>> correct is a real jackass move.
>>

>> Again, you misuse the term. Inputs don't do anything.
>>
>> When H does abort its simulation of its input, then the machine that the
>> simulation represent does halt. That is a fact.
>>

> That is a subtle dishonest dodge strawman error.
>
> int main() { H(P,P); } is a distinctly different computation than
> int main() { P(P); }
> int main() { H1(P,P); } is equivalent to int main() { P(P); }

Right, H(P,P) is not the SAME COMPUTATION as P(P) but is a decider whose
answer is supposed to predict what the second does.

H1(P,P) is another decider. Since P is built for H and not H1, the Linz
proof only talks about what H can't do, and the fact that H and H1 give
different answers says they are NOT the same thing, so H1 getting it
right doesn't matter.

All you claims to the contrary just show you are lying about something.

Either their code isn't the same, or
The code takes some other hidden input which is different, so H/H1 is
disqualified to be the Halt Decider since it isn't the right form, or

The code for H/H1 isn't actually a computation because it isn't a
complete 'algorithm'.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Is it possible to create a simple infinite emulation detector?

By: olcott on Thu, 23 Sep 2021

59olcott