From: eag...@eyrie.org (Russ Allbery)
Newsgroups: news.admin.hierarchies
Subject: Re: State of the cz, demon, ffm, han, medlux, relcom, z-netz hierarchies
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 12:48:17 -0700
 by: Russ Allbery - Fri, 31 Mar 2023 19:48 UTC

"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> writes:
> Russ Allbery <eagle@eyrie.org> wrote:

>> Currently, this is a very theoretical concern, since (per the previous
>> discussion) I don't believe anyone is issuing unsigned control messages
>> for anything other than alt.* and free.* (and I haven't seen a new
>> alt.* control message for a while). If it becomes a practical problem
>> in some regional hierarchy, just email usenet-config@isc.org and I'm
>> sure we can sort things out. I have frequently made manual updates to
>> regional hierarchies in the past when it was too difficult to sort out
>> the control messages for whatever reason.

> This will then make you hierarchy administrator for a whole lot of
> hierarchies.

> Could you at least require the proponent or self-declared hierarchy
> administrator to issue an unsigned control message to get archived with
> the newsgroups file line in good syntax before you make the manual
> change? That there's no archived control message in all circumstances
> has not been helpful.

Sorry, I think I was confusing. What I meant by "if it becomes a
practical problem" is specifically "if a hierarchy administrator who is
not currently issuing control messages starts up again, but doesn't start
using PGP signatures for some reason, they can then contact me and we can
work out how to process those control messages."

I didn't mean to imply I was just going to make changes without anyone
even trying to issue control messages, just that if PGP is a blocker
(which seemed to be your concern) people can always contact usenet-config
and we can figure out a good way forward.

I'm not saying I'll *never* make changes without insisting someone issue a
control message, since the point of the hierarchy lists is to be (some
version of) correct, and there have been cases where we've discovered that
most of the sites carrying the hierarchy had agreed on a group list that
was different than what ftp.isc.org had, and there was no reason to not
just fix it. Or, similarly, sometimes we reach a consensus that a
hierarchy is obsolete, and I've removed it without requiring someone issue
rmgroup messages for everything. But in general the expectation is that
people should issue control messages to change hierarchies.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle@eyrie.org) <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Re: State of the cz, demon, ffm, han, medlux, relcom, z-netz

By: Julien ÉLIE on Tue, 28 Mar 2023

13Julien ÉLIE