From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad
Subject: Re: There is zero app functionality on iOS not already on Android - not even a single app - not even one
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2023 16:23:18 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 6 Apr 2023 15:23 UTC

badgolferman wrote:

> I had forgotten that these had been brought up before.

Hi badgolferman,

As always, a conversation with you is normal, so you can accept that I have
knowledge flaws, where I want to openly and publicly admit I do NOT claim
to be all that knowledgeable on the automation or hearing aid issues you
brought up - nor their differences between platforms - which is exactly why
I searched first and which is why most of my prior post was references.

Since all threads are for the benefit of everyone, so all learn more,
the trick is to search using the permanent dejagoogle Usenet archives:
<https://groups.google.com/g/<name.of.archive>

For example:
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android>
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.ipad>
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone>

> I have no doubt Android can do automation and probably better than iOS

Again, admitting a flaw to you doesn't open us all to a circus of the
iKooks' idiotic first-insult-that-comes-into-their-tiny-brains never-ending
kindergarten taunts, where I'll repeat I haven't delved all that much into
the Android automation, not the least of the reasons being I haven't found
any good tutorials of the like of my canonical "hello world" tutorials.

Also, most articles on Android automation use the canonical Tasker, which I
won't use because it isn't free and therefore not of general use to me.
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.dinglisch.android.taskerm>

To be clear, there are freeware solutions, such as ifft, but as I recall in
my testing (which was only brief, so it must have failed the three strikes
rule), both ifft & Automate suffer from other ills (e.g., login account).
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ifttt.ifttt>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.llamalab.automate>

I simply know that Android automation is vast, whereas I know Apple well
enough to assume Apple only advertises that it has anything that it says.

> but I had trouble finding anything in those links which addressed
> Android's capabilities in a similar fashion to the Accessibility
> features of iOS hearing aid support.

I'm not going to disbelieve you, badgolferman, as I do not have a hearing
aid so I'm completely unfamiliar with hearing aid functionality - which -
again - is why my prior post resorted to pointing you to the references.

I generally don't use the Google Play Store to get my apps, nor to do a
search for apps (because it sucks compared to the FOSS Google Play Store
searches) but I just ran a simple "hearing aids" search and this came up:
<https://play.google.com/store/search?q=hearing%20aid&c=apps>

Since I don't have hearing aids, I'll let others dig into what they do:
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.earcare.apps.hearingaid>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sonova.phonak.dsapp>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.it4you.petralex>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dk.resound.smart3d>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.it4you.dectonecaller>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oticon.remotecontrol>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dk.resound.smart3d>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.it4you.dectonecaller>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oticon.remotecontrol>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.starkey.android.newlink.release>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.listeningdevice.hearingaid>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.signia.rta>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.main.amihear>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microphone.soundmagnifier>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.accessibility.soundamplifier>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.main.amihear>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gnhearing.gnbemore>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sonova.unitron.rcapp>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.miracleear.mdapp>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.beltone.hearmax>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.connexx.rta>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.psychocreatives.supereartool>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gnhearing.enhancepro>
etc.

One rather phenomenally useful suggestion for Android searchers is that
the Google search engine is horrid for finding apps. Absolutely horrid.

So that isn't likely even close to the good ones out there, which is
why I use FOSS Google Play Store clients to find the better apps.

> Manufacturer apps just don't seem
> to tap into the additional functions available at the OS level,

Since we're both adults, we shouldn't ever disagree on facts (only fools
do that, and that's _why_ they are fools in the first place); but we may
very well disagree on assessments of the facts, particularly if we're not
aware of all the facts - so you and I are going to likely disagree here.

And that's OK.

I already said that Apple is a genius at making people believe they
have your best interest in mind, where Google failed at that, so it's
my assessment of the facts that teh manufacturer is the _worst_ place
to look to obtain the functionality that you want.

I can give you plenty of examples, e.g., I just noted above that the
Google search for apps sucks compared to the search in the FOSS
Google Play Store client. In one hand, how can a Google search suck,
you might ask - but then in the other hand you'd know it's not in the
best interest of Google to steer you toward ad free gsf fre free apps.

IMHO, Apple is no different than Google only Apple is vastly better at
projecting an image of a fatherly God-like Jesus-will-save-you figure.

Most adults would wonder who would fall for Apple's God-will-save-you
advertising, but then all you have to do is listen to Alan Browne
swear there is no such thing as the walled garden - & there never was.

Suffice to say Apple marketing works incredibly well on small minds.
But I don't wish for you to be so swayed by thinking that the oem
(in your case, Apple) provides the best functionality (any more than
the OEM for Android phones does).

Most functionality, IMHO, that the user wants, is provided by developers,
which, of course, is why iOS will always pale in functionality to Android
(because Apple severely limits what functionality developers can provide).

My argument is purely logical, and it's based on facts - not advertising:
1. Apple extremely severely constrains what developers can provide
2. Google also constrains them - but only on the Google Play Store
3. Developers can provide anything to Android - even if Google hates them

Examples are, for example, fantastic YouTube replacement clients such as
<http://newpipe.net>
And phenomenal FOSS Google Play Store clients (with a better search!)
<http://auroraoss.com>
And ungoogled chromium products which, of course, Google likely hates.
<https://github.com/ungoogled-software/ungoogled-chromium-android>
And wonderfully functional system-wide Wi-Fi/Data & ad-blocking firewalls
<https://netguard.me/>

The main point of this thread is that with iOS, Apple severely constrains
what a developer can do, so if _any_ (let alone _most_!) app functionality
you want is provided by a developer, you're dead when you're on iOS most
of the time because Apple never has your best interest in mind.

Neither does Google - but Android is designed to allow developers to
provide whatever they want to provide and Google can't stop them.

The classic Apple iKook response is to start screaming in an Alan Browne
kind of way insanely screeching with hands flailing how "dangerous" that
is, to be able to run apps that you want to run - but - then you have
to observe the fact that it's _only iOS_ that doesn't allow sideloading.
*Sideloading is not evil - it's what all common consumer operating systems do*
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/4u-EDP05YHk>

Besides, there are far more security holes in iOS than any other smartphone
in history, so it's a "specious" claim, that Alan Browne always makes.

As a result of Apple's restrictive control strategy, the iPhone is not only
the least secure smartphone on this planet & the most exploited in the wild,
but at the same time, the iOS platform is clearly the least functional.

And that's just sad.
Mainly because the damn thing costs so much for so little.

But then... think of those bright *NEW!!!!! colors* & 21 new emoji... :)

> but admittedly my sample size is only one...

Thank you for being an adult as the iKooks will claim "nobody wants it"
and "nobody needs it" and "apple isn't worried about 5G" as if they
have an infinite sample size which gives them extreme clarity of thought.

My sample size is also small, but I did see more references on your topic
of switching between radios - where long ago I implemented that for Wi-Fi.
*Tutorial: How to set up single-tap homescreen folder icon Wi-Fi toggle*
*shortcut to any pre-defined commonly used access points*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/TJbOe2n6lFU/>

That's for Wi-Fi access points, but allow me to ask you whether or not
_that_ functionality is similar to the functionality you ask for 5G/4G?
--
There's a reason Apple has the lowest R&D spend of all high tech companies
where Apple's total R&D is far less than many in the same high-tech area

What that means is clear to any adult - which is Apple is a MARKETING
powerhouse (like soda & tobacco companites); none have R&D to speak of.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o There is zero app functionality on iOS not already on Android - not even a singl

By: Andy Burnelli on Wed, 5 Apr 2023

16Andy Burnelli