Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2021 23:22:52 -0500
Subject: Re: H(P,P)==0 is correct for every simulating halt decider H --- V2 [
impossibly incorrect ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory
<heKdndbYnPukHx38nZ2dnUU7-WnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87lf26pueb.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<xsudnaztFImi1Bz8nZ2dnUU7-fHNnZ2d@giganews.com> <874k8upp9k.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<t_mdnSlILtJIwhz8nZ2dnUU7-KnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87y266o7p4.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<dZOdneAiX5IV-xz8nZ2dnUU7-RfNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87mtmmo4gh.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<slrsns$kn8$2@dont-email.me> <sls5k8$reo$1@dont-email.me>
<eM-dnXBYuszuAxz8nZ2dnUU7-W3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <sls7ku$aom$1@dont-email.me>
<GOOdndF6GPhiPxz8nZ2dnUU7-R2dnZ2d@giganews.com> <sls97c$mj5$1@dont-email.me>
<BNednUpXj6vtLRz8nZ2dnUU7-WXNnZ2d@giganews.com> <slsbon$854$1@dont-email.me>
<OP-dnatHRdOUXBz8nZ2dnUU7-VnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <slshor$f6s$1@dont-email.me>
<UoidnfNTs8k7QRz8nZ2dnUU7-WednZ2d@giganews.com> <slsnd6$aqe$1@dont-email.me>
<e5Cdnc0LRdRXexz8nZ2dnUU7-R_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <slss02$vah$1@dont-email.me>
<rMudnZ-NI_cOYxz8nZ2dnUU7-XnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <slsvo7$iu0$1@dont-email.me>
<slt22a$g91$1@gioia.aioe.org>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Wed, 3 Nov 2021 04:22 UTC

On 11/2/2021 11:09 PM, Mike Terry wrote:
> On 03/11/2021 03:30, André G. Isaak wrote:

>>> Maybe you don't understand the x86 language well enough to ever
>>> understand what I am saying.
>>>
>>> While H continues to simulate P these first seven instructions of P
>>> continue to repeat. Do you understand that?
>>
>> Which is irrelevant to the halting problem which asks whether P(P)
>> halts? Does it? Yes. Ergo the only correct for H(P, P) to give is
>> 'true'. *Nothing* apart from the actual behaviour of P(P) is relevant
>> to determining what the correct answer to this question is, so there's
>> not even any point in providing all your meaningless traces.
>>
>> The correct answer to H(P, P) is determined by the actual behaviour of
>> P(P). We know the actual behaviour of P(P). So there's absolutely no
>> reason to consider anything else.
>>
>> And you conveniently ignored all the questions which I asked.
>>
>> What does the input to H(P, P) represent if not P(P)?
>>
>> How can the inputs to H1(P, P) and H(P, P) represent different things
>> given that they are the *same* input?
>
> My suspicion (difficult to confirm) is still that in both those cases,
> PO is looking at the same computation.  It's simply that H and H1, in
> examining the identical execution traces, behave differently because
> they take their own machine code address and use that in interpreting
> the instruction trace.

The key additional insight that I have had in the last couple of days is
that my proof applies to every possible encoding of simulating halt
decider H.

While H continues to simulate these first seven instructions of P, P
never reaches its final state of 0xc50. When H(P,P) aborts its
simulation of P, P never reaches its final state of 0xc50.

Thus for every possible encoding of H and every possible behavior of H,
H(P,P)==0 is necessarily correct.

machine stack stack machine assembly
address address data code language
======== ======== ======== ========= =============
[00000c36][002117ca][002117ce] 55 push ebp
[00000c37][002117ca][002117ce] 8bec mov ebp,esp
[00000c39][002117ca][002117ce] 8b4508 mov eax,[ebp+08]
[00000c3c][002117c6][00000c36] 50 push eax // push P
[00000c3d][002117c6][00000c36] 8b4d08 mov ecx,[ebp+08]
[00000c40][002117c2][00000c36] 51 push ecx // push P
[00000c41][002117be][00000c46] e820fdffff call 00000966 // call H(P,P)

Apparently only Richard can understand that while H is a pure simulator
the above code never halts. Apparently no one besides me understands
that when the above code is aborted it never reaches its final state.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o H(P,P)==0 is correct for every simulating halt decider H --- V2

By: olcott on Mon, 1 Nov 2021

127olcott