Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2021 09:45:19 -0500
Subject: Re: H(P,P)==0 is correct for every simulating halt decider H --- V2 [
everyone here is clueless about the x86 language ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
<87lf26pueb.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <xsudnaztFImi1Bz8nZ2dnUU7-fHNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<874k8upp9k.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <t_mdnSlILtJIwhz8nZ2dnUU7-KnNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87y266o7p4.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <dZOdneAiX5IV-xz8nZ2dnUU7-RfNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87mtmmo4gh.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <slrsns$kn8$2@dont-email.me>
<sls5k8$reo$1@dont-email.me> <eM-dnXBYuszuAxz8nZ2dnUU7-W3NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<sls7ku$aom$1@dont-email.me> <GOOdndF6GPhiPxz8nZ2dnUU7-R2dnZ2d@giganews.com>
<sls97c$mj5$1@dont-email.me> <BNednUpXj6vtLRz8nZ2dnUU7-WXNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<slsbon$854$1@dont-email.me> <OP-dnatHRdOUXBz8nZ2dnUU7-VnNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<slshor$f6s$1@dont-email.me> <UoidnfNTs8k7QRz8nZ2dnUU7-WednZ2d@giganews.com>
<slsnd6$aqe$1@dont-email.me> <e5Cdnc0LRdRXexz8nZ2dnUU7-R_NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<slss02$vah$1@dont-email.me> <rMudnZ-NI_cOYxz8nZ2dnUU7-XnNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<slsvo7$iu0$1@dont-email.me> <slt22a$g91$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<9bb224d6-b063-400a-bc32-fd1a89211215n@googlegroups.com>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Wed, 3 Nov 2021 14:45 UTC

On 11/3/2021 4:49 AM, Malcolm McLean wrote:
> On Wednesday, 3 November 2021 at 04:09:54 UTC, Mike Terry wrote:

>>> Which is irrelevant to the halting problem which asks whether P(P)
>>> halts? Does it? Yes. Ergo the only correct for H(P, P) to give is
>>> 'true'. *Nothing* apart from the actual behaviour of P(P) is relevant to
>>> determining what the correct answer to this question is, so there's not
>>> even any point in providing all your meaningless traces.
>>>
>>> The correct answer to H(P, P) is determined by the actual behaviour of
>>> P(P). We know the actual behaviour of P(P). So there's absolutely no
>>> reason to consider anything else.
>>>
>>> And you conveniently ignored all the questions which I asked.
>>>
>>> What does the input to H(P, P) represent if not P(P)?
>>>
>>> How can the inputs to H1(P, P) and H(P, P) represent different things
>>> given that they are the *same* input?
>> My suspicion (difficult to confirm) is still that in both those cases,
>> PO is looking at the same computation. It's simply that H and H1, in
>> examining the identical execution traces, behave differently because
>> they take their own machine code address and use that in interpreting
>> the instruction trace.
>>
>> So e.g. H uses its address to exclude certain parts of the trace it
>> examines, and consequently INCORRECTLY decides it is seeing infinite
>> recursion. H1 excludes a different address range, so it doesn't see
>> infinite recursion and so the simulation continues FURTHER than H
>> continues it, and in fact with H1 the simulation proceeds right up to
>> the point where it reaches its halt state, so H1 give the correct
>> answer. [I'd guess H1 works because it is seeing the conditional branch
>> instructions that H deliberately ignores, and so his unsound recursion
>> test does not match.]
>>
>> I bet if we looked at the actual traces that H and H1 are producing,
>> they would be exactly the same UP TO THE POINT WHERE H MAKES ITS MISTAKE
>> AND SAYS "INFINITE RECURSION DETECTED". I.e. H just makes the wrong
>> decision and terminates the simulation too early, like everyone has been
>> saying for over a year... :)
>>
> Ah, insightful as always.
> That would explain a lot.

It is very obvious to anyone here that knows the x86 language
sufficiently well that when H is a pure simulator that the following
first seven lines remains stuck in infinite recursion.

My current estimate based on only having agreement from Richard
is that everyone here beside myself and Richard is perfectly clueless
about the x86 language thus will never be able to understand what I am
saying.

machine stack stack machine assembly
address address data code language
======== ======== ======== ========= =============
[00000c36][002117ca][002117ce] 55 push ebp
[00000c37][002117ca][002117ce] 8bec mov ebp,esp
[00000c39][002117ca][002117ce] 8b4508 mov eax,[ebp+08]
[00000c3c][002117c6][00000c36] 50 push eax // push P
[00000c3d][002117c6][00000c36] 8b4d08 mov ecx,[ebp+08]
[00000c40][002117c2][00000c36] 51 push ecx // push P
[00000c41][002117be][00000c46] e820fdffff call 00000966 // call H(P,P)

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

minds." Einstein

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o H(P,P)==0 is correct for every simulating halt decider H --- V2

By: olcott on Mon, 1 Nov 2021

127olcott