From: iul...@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.admin.hierarchies
Subject: Re: microsoft.* hierarchy
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 19:53:53 +0200
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Wed, 31 May 2023 17:53 UTC

Hi Adam,

>> I've at last reorganized the listing, following our previous discussion.
>> Only alt.* and free.* are now in the unmanaged page. The previously
>> listed ones were now in the historic section.
>
>> http://usenet.trigofacile.com/hierarchies/index.py?status=unmanaged
>
> That's reasonable. Thank you

Thanks for having had a look.

> I don't have any new comments about the categories that you haven't
> heard me make in the past.

Yes, sure, I remember. The point is that these web pages are a visual
representation of the control.ctl / PGPKEYS / newsgroups files. Changes
should be made upstream.

> Shouldn't mod.* be a reserved hierarchy? I was going to ask about net.*
> as well, but you listed it as historic.

For example, if mod.* should be listed as reserved (which it could, like
example.*, general.* or test.*), the change to do is in the following file:
https://github.com/rra/control-archive/blob/master/config/mod
"type: defunct" should be changed to "type: reserved"

Incidentally, I see in
https://github.com/rra/control-archive/blob/master/forms/control.ctl.pre

that example.*, local.* and private.* (other already reserved groups)
could also be added to this special entry:

## Special reserved groups
newgroup:*:control|general|junk|test|to:drop
rmgroup:*:control|general|junk|test|to:drop

If you already have a list of such changes to do, you may want to put it
into an issue in https://github.com/rra/control-archive/issues
When Russ has a bit of time for that, it will facilitate the integration
instead of digging in threads in this newsgroup.
(Or course, a direct pull request with the changed files would be even
better if you happen to know how git works.)

net.* is said to be "a failed experiment which has now been abandoned"
in the comments. Would you have seen it in another category than historic?
As the control.ctl entry is "drop" for newgroup and rmgroup, it is not a
"public managed" hierarchy. I previously listed it under "public
unmanaged" but now that only alt.* and free.* are considered to be
unmanaged, I moved all these hierarchies without a control.ctl entry
with an explicit e-mail adress to the "historic" state.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Ta remise sur pied lui a fait perdre la tête ! » (Astérix)

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o microsoft.* hierarchy

By: Julien ÉLIE on Tue, 15 Jun 2021

30Julien ÉLIE