Besides, I think Slackware sounds better than 'Microsoft,' don't you? -- Patrick Volkerding

computers / comp.theory / Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V10 [ fake rebuttals ]

Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V10 [ fake rebuttals ]

<7vGjJ.29750$Ak2.24516@fx20.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23436&group=comp.theory#23436

Subject: Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V10 [ fake rebuttals
]
Newsgroups: comp.theory
<9YudnQnCdfn_kRL8nZ2dnUU7-UXNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<0jEjJ.97329$IW4.6622@fx48.iad>
<b5CdnYaFaJ9zihL8nZ2dnUU7-YOdnZ2d@giganews.com>
<A9FjJ.10926$g81.10129@fx19.iad>
<J4qdnSmxHO__sxL8nZ2dnUU78YfNnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 22:43:00 -0500
 by: Richard Damon - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 03:43 UTC

On 11/12/21 10:17 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 11/12/2021 8:11 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> If the correctly simulated or directly executed input to (the
>>> precisely specified) H(P,P) never halts then it always correct for H
>>> to report that the input to this H(P,P) never halts.
>>>
>>> If X is a Y then it is always correct to say X is a Y.
>>
>> Except that, BY DEFINITION, if H has aborted its simulation/direct
>> execution of its input, then it has NOT correctly simulated it.
>>

> computation that halts
> a computation is said to halt whenever it enters a final state.
> (Linz:1990:234)
>
> computer science decider
> a decider is a machine that accepts or rejects inputs.
> https://cs.stackexchange.com/questions/84433/what-is-decider
>
> halt decider
> A halt decider correctly determines whether or not the direct execution
> or pure simulation of its input will ever reach a final state of this
> input.

Right, note you said DIRECT EXECUTION OR PURE SIMULATION determine the
behavior,

That means an UNCONDITIONAL DIRECT EXECTUTION or SIMULATION.

If H 'aborts' its simulation, it is NOT a DIRECT EXECTUTION OR PURE
SIMULATION.

So if H aborts its simulation, we need to look at an ACTUAL Direct
Exectution or PURE Simulation of that input.

Yes, if H IS a Direct Execution or Pure Simulation of its input, then
yes, the fact that its processing of P(P) doesn't reach that end state
shows that THAT P(P) is non-halting. Your problem is that ALL of these
machines also never return an answer, so fail to meet the requirements
of being a decider.

Note, this result ONLY applies to the P built on the H that never
aborts. Since P's behavior depends on H, changing to a different H gives
you different results.

When H does abort its simulation, then the simulation/execution by H is
NOT the required PURE SIMULATION or DIRECT EXECUTION, so its failure to
reach the end is NOT proof of non-halting, and since you have changed
the machine P by changing H you previous proof based on the actual
direct execution/pure simulation is not applicable.

You keep on trying to mix the results of one H with that of another, as
has been said before that is INVALID, it makes as much sense as proving
that your cat barks by noting that you neighbor has a cat, so you call
your pet, which happens to be a dog, a cat for this experement.

FAIL.

>> Thus, the only machines that meet your premise, are machines that will
>> never abort the simulation/execution of P, and it has been shown that
>> these machine will never return the, in THIS case, correct value of 0.
>>
>> ERGO, you proof fails.
>>
>> You can not show a precisely specified H that actually does CORRECTLY
>> SIMULATE its input which it claims to be non-halting, and also return
>> a value. This is because BY DEFINITION, it takes infinite time to
>> correctly simulate a non-halting computation, and you can't do both
>> return an answer in finite time and still spend an infinite time to do
>> the correct simulation.
>>
>> Your proposition is only true if H is a member of the empty set.
>>
>> FAIL.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V10 [ all rebuttals are categorical

By: olcott on Fri, 12 Nov 2021

36olcott