"Let us condemn to hellfire all those who disagree with us." -- militant religionists everywhere

computers / comp.theory / Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V21 [ precisely defined sets ]

Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V21 [ precisely defined sets ]

<NEdmJ.114491$IW4.59392@fx48.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=23739&group=comp.theory#23739

Subject: Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V21 [ precisely
defined sets ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory
<W96dnV1_X_P4JQr8nZ2dnUU7-QPNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sn8el5$a6k$1@dont-email.me>
<MoGdna8BU9xUSQr8nZ2dnUU7-QvNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sn8l2e$sgf$1@dont-email.me>
<6cydnTBU7YNYQgr8nZ2dnUU7-evNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sn8ntm$j1d$1@dont-email.me>
<pLudnSyOj6cnegr8nZ2dnUU7-UPNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sn8qhq$7jn$1@dont-email.me>
<wd2dnW1XgcfhZwr8nZ2dnUU7-VnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sn8vv7$fqo$1@dont-email.me>
<sn90hk$k4m$1@dont-email.me> <sn93ja$b5a$1@dont-email.me>
<LbqdnVNler6IvwX8nZ2dnUU7-bHNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sn9c8i$522$1@dont-email.me>
<fsKdneznstvwowX8nZ2dnUU7-XnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sna68l$89c$1@dont-email.me>
<KPmdnbIicsClqQT8nZ2dnUU7-cXNnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 16:20:45 -0500
 by: Richard Damon - Sat, 20 Nov 2021 21:20 UTC

On 11/20/21 12:45 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 11/20/2021 12:57 AM, André G. Isaak wrote:

>>> Because the behavior of the UTM simulation of the machine description
>>> of TM X on input Y is defined to precisely correspond to the direct
>>> execution of TM X on input Y we can also always rely on the following:
>>>
>>> If UTM U is adapted to become a halt decider H for a subset of inputs
>>> Z such that it aborts the simulation of its input only when the
>>> behavior of the pure simulation of this input conclusively proves
>>> that this input would never reach its final state, then H can abort
>>> the simulation of every element of Z and correctly report that its
>>> input does not halt.
>>
>> The fact that UTM(M, w) and M(w) have the same halting status has no
>> bearing on the definition of a halt decider and provides no
>> justification for the above.
>>
>> The input to UTM(M, w) doesn't have a halting status anymore than the
>> input to H does. Only actual computations have a halting status. So
>> you can ask about whether UTM(M, w) halts, or about whether the
>> computation described by its input halts, but not about whether the
>> input halts.
>

>> H(P, P) may or may not reach a final state. P(P) may or may not reach
>> a final state. It is meaningless, though, to talk about the input to
>> H(P, P) reaching a final state.
>>
>> André
>>

> Not when the [PSR set] if the basis for this claim:
>
> Computation that halts
> a computation is said to halt whenever it enters a final state.
> (Linz:1990:234)
>
> PSR set: Combinations of H/P having pathological self-reference
> For every possible H of H(P,P) invoked from main() where P(P) calls this
> same H(P,P) and H simulates or executes its input and aborts or does not
> abort its input P never reaches its last instruction.

WRONG. LIE.

There are two distinct subsets of your PSR set.

There are those Hs that do not abort their simulation/execution of their
input when it is their P(P), and for THOSE Hs, which we can lable Hn,
(and there related P as Pn) it is true that Pn(Pn) will be non-halting,
but it is also true that Hn(Pn,Pn) will never return a value.

There is a second group of Hs, that DO abort their simulation/execution
of their input when it is their P(P). We can lable these Hs as Ha (and
there related P as Pa). While it is true that the processing inside
Ha(Pa,Pa) will never reach a halting state, this failure does NOT show
non-halting, as an aborted simulation fails to meet the defintion. When
we DIRECTLY EXECUTE Pa(Pa), ie directly run the input to that Ha, we see
that Pa(Pa) will HALT.

You statement is just a bald face LIE, because you LIE at what you are
looking at.

> PSR subset: Because we know that the input to H(P,P) never halts for the
> whole PSR set and a subset of these H/P combinations aborts the
> execution or simulation of its input then we know that for this entire
> subset the input to H(P,P) never halts and H(P,P) halts.

WRONG. LIE.

> When int main(void) { P(P); } is invoked on H/P elements of the above
> PSR subset, then we have a cases where the input to H(P,P) never halts
> and P(P) halts.

WRONG. LIE. The DEFINITION of the input to H(P,P) IS the representation
P(P). What doesn't reach a halting state is the aborted

> The above cases conclusively prove that when the input to H(P,P) never
> halts and the same P(P) does halt that this does not form any
> contradiction.

Right, Not a contradict, just a proof that you LIE.

If P(P) halts then the input to H(P,P) also halts, BY DEFINITION.

What doesn't reach a halting state is the aborted simulation of the
input done by H which is not the computation specified by the phrase
'input halting' if you are working in the domain of Computation Theory
and the Halting problen=m.

In other words, you are just lying through your teeth.

> Decidable_PSR subset: The subset of the PSR subset where H returns 0 on
> the basis that H correctly detects that P specifies infinite recursion
> defines the decidable domain of function H.

EMPTY SET, as H NEVER returns 0 CORRECTLY, as EVERY TIME H(P,P) return
0, then the input to H, the compuation P(P) will halt.

PERIOD.

FAIL.

YOU LIE.

> H is a function that correctly maps every element of its domain to {0,1}
> on the basis of whether or not these elements reach their final state
> and halt. On this basis H is a halt decider.

Nope, FLAT OUT LIE.

Are your REALLY claiming this? That means you have just claimed the
UNIVERSAL halt decider. Can it solve the Twin Primes problem?

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V18

By: olcott on Fri, 19 Nov 2021

88olcott