Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 18:50:20 -0600
Subject: Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V21 [ precisely
defined sets ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
<W96dnV1_X_P4JQr8nZ2dnUU7-QPNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sn8el5$a6k$1@dont-email.me>
<MoGdna8BU9xUSQr8nZ2dnUU7-QvNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sn8l2e$sgf$1@dont-email.me>
<6cydnTBU7YNYQgr8nZ2dnUU7-evNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sn8ntm$j1d$1@dont-email.me>
<pLudnSyOj6cnegr8nZ2dnUU7-UPNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sn8qhq$7jn$1@dont-email.me>
<wd2dnW1XgcfhZwr8nZ2dnUU7-VnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sn8vv7$fqo$1@dont-email.me>
<sn90hk$k4m$1@dont-email.me> <sn93ja$b5a$1@dont-email.me>
<LbqdnVNler6IvwX8nZ2dnUU7-bHNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sn9c8i$522$1@dont-email.me>
<fsKdneznstvwowX8nZ2dnUU7-XnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sna68l$89c$1@dont-email.me>
<KPmdnbIicsClqQT8nZ2dnUU7-cXNnZ2d@giganews.com> <snbk9q$s3k$1@dont-email.me>
<3sidnWLq68GPwQT8nZ2dnUU7-VHNnZ2d@giganews.com> <snc4pv$dfv$1@dont-email.me>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Sun, 21 Nov 2021 00:50 UTC

On 11/20/2021 6:44 PM, André G. Isaak wrote:
> On 2021-11-20 13:35, olcott wrote:

>>> Inputs neither halt nor don't halt. Your 'PSR set' included. Only
>>> Computions halt or don't halt.
>>>

>> Inputs specify a sequence of configurations that either reach a final
>> state or not.
>>
>>> And, as I said, the definition of a Halt Decider is already defined.
>>
>> Halt decider H maps elements of its domain specifying sequences of
>> configurations to {0,1}. Its decision basis is whether or not the
>> specified sequence of configurations ever reaches a final state.
>>
>>> H(P, P), if it is a halt decider, must report whether P(P) called
>>> directly from main halts or not, so your meaningless claim that 'the
>>
>> An actual mathematical function H can only map elements of its domain
>> to elements of its codomain.
>>
>> In mathematics, a function from a set X to a set Y is an assignment of
>> an element of Y to each element of X. The set X is called the domain
>> of the function and the set Y is called the codomain of the function.
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Function_(mathematics)
>>
>> Halt decider H can only map elements of its domain specifying
>> sequences of configurations to {0,1}.
>
> The domain of a halt decider is the set of computations (expressed by
> suitable representations)
>
> It maps that domain to 1 for exactly that set of computations which halt
> when run as independent computations and to 0 otherwise.
>
> Since P(P) halts, H(P, P) must map that input to 1.
>
> André

How do you tell a mathematical function that it is not allowed to base
its halt status decision on the sequence of configurations specified by
(P, I) and instead must base its halt status decision on P(I) [when run
independently] ???

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V18

By: olcott on Fri, 19 Nov 2021

88olcott