Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 18:05:08 -0600
Subject: Re:_Concise_refutation_of_halting_problem_proofs_V21_
[_André_is_wrong_]
Newsgroups: comp.theory
<sn9c8i$522$1@dont-email.me> <fsKdneznstvwowX8nZ2dnUU7-XnNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<sna68l$89c$1@dont-email.me> <KPmdnbIicsClqQT8nZ2dnUU7-cXNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<snbk9q$s3k$1@dont-email.me> <3sidnWLq68GPwQT8nZ2dnUU7-VHNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<snc4pv$dfv$1@dont-email.me> <VM-dnWN8ofpTCgT8nZ2dnUU7-S_NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<snc5fl$hlj$1@dont-email.me> <Zsudne5u4LizBwT8nZ2dnUU7-XfNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<snc6el$nga$1@dont-email.me> <snc7o6$tme$1@dont-email.me>
<snc945$49e$1@dont-email.me> <ot2dnXPCwob8MQT8nZ2dnUU7-bnNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<sncbb8$huh$1@dont-email.me> <gNWdnS5SfcK6JwT8nZ2dnUU7-VPNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<sncg69$8au$1@dont-email.me> <37ydnbV-mq1mVQT8nZ2dnUU7-S3NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<sndlot$qau$1@dont-email.me> <CZ6dneFC5_xl8Af8nZ2dnUU7-N3NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<sndu4l$lp6$1@dont-email.me> <bfCdndij-oL7NQf8nZ2dnUU7-f_NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<sneb1c$gf5$1@dont-email.me> <T6adnYv9oJQ_KAf8nZ2dnUU7-ffNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<snelu4$srg$1@dont-email.me>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 00:05 UTC

On 11/21/2021 5:49 PM, André G. Isaak wrote:
> On 2021-11-21 14:09, olcott wrote:

>>> If you read the section of Linz on the halting problem you will note
>>> that Linz also talks about halting and non-halting computations.
>>> While 'computation' is often restricted to algorithms (i.e. things
>>> guaranteed to halt) this is not the case when talking about halt
>>> deciders.
>>>
>>> If it's less confusing for you, simply replace 'computation' with 'TM
>>> description + input string'

>>> Of course there is a way. The independent execution is specified as
>>> ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩. The simulation by a UTM would be ⟨UTM⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩. Those are
>>> two distinct computations.
>>>
>>> Your H doesn't even involve a UTM, so why you bring this up is beyond
>>> me.
>>>
>>> What you are failing to grasp is that when you run H ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩, the
>>> *only* computation which is actually occuring is H ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩. Even if H
>>> reaches its decision by partially simulating H ⟨Ĥ⟩, there is no
>>> computation H ⟨Ĥ⟩ taking place inside of the decider. The simulation
>>> is simply *part* of the steps involved in computing H ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ and is
>>> not a computation itself, so it isn't even in the domain of the problem.
>>>
>>> Or, to put things in terms of your poor analogy below, there only
>>> *is* one window to choose from.
>>>

>> Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn
>>
>> You already chose the second window.
>>
>> H ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ is one window like P(P)
>>
>> and Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ is entirely different window like H(P,P)
>
> What are you on about here? I am trying to explain to you what the
> definition of a *halt* decider is. Ĥ.qx is a single state inside of Ĥ.
> There is no such state inside H.
>
> H ⟨M) w evaluates whether M w halts.

>>> And if I give a Halt decider the input string ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩, that tells it
>>> to evaluate the behaviour of computation H ⟨Ĥ⟩.
>>
>> There are no H's to be found in
>> Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn
>
> And so what? I explaining what a halt decider must do. That would be H,
> not Ĥ.
>
>> So now you are looking outside of a window that does not exist.
>>
>>> It does not tell it to look evaluate the behaviour of some internal
>>> simulation.
>>
>> Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn
>> does tell Ĥ.qx to evaluate the behavior of Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩
>
> Ĥ.qx is simply a single state. It doesn't evaluate anything. And I have
> no idea what it means for something to evaluate the behaviour of Ĥ.qx
> ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩.
>
> But since I am talking about H, this is all irrelevant.
>

>>> It can make use of such a simulation as part of its analysis, but
>>> unless the answer corresponds to the actual behaviour of H ⟨Ĥ⟩ then
>>> its analysuis is wrong.
>>
>> H ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ bases its decision on the actual behavior of Ĥ ⟨Ĥ⟩
>
> Yes, the *actual* behaviour of Ĥ ⟨Ĥ⟩. The actual behaviour of Ĥ ⟨Ĥ⟩ is
> that it halts.

>>> Similarly, looking at anything other than the behaviour of the
>>> independent computation Ĥ ⟨Ĥ⟩ has zero predictive value for
> [...]

H is a computable function that accepts or rejects inputs in its domain
on the basis that these inputs specify a sequence of configurations that
reach their final state.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V18

By: olcott on Fri, 19 Nov 2021

88olcott