From: jbb...@notatt.com (Jeff Barnett)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Subject: Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V34 [ invocation
invariants ]
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2021 00:41:11 -0700
 by: Jeff Barnett - Fri, 3 Dec 2021 07:41 UTC

On 12/2/2021 10:33 PM, olcott wrote:
> [...]
>>> introduced an "axiom" to say that his rule is correct - there is a
>>> basic cognitive problem going on here!
>>>
>>> It does seem strange that such a person would not be able to /see/
>>> the reality of the situation, but there are many examples of
>>> delusional frameworks in the literature, and sure they all do seem
>>> very strange... I don't understand that side of things at all!
>>
>> I agree with 99% of what you have said above. I say good analysis
>> (since it closely parallels my view). However, there are more than PO
>> in their own little loops in this on-going saga. Richard and Andre
>> have repeated their technical lessons to PO, almost word for word,
>> forever; maybe more than a 1000 times. Ben, too, is rather repetitive.
>> Some time back I posed questions to this group (we are a loosely
>> coupled group I think) - Do you really believe that if you explain
>> something to PO he will appreciate it and perhaps change his
>> viewpoint? Have you made an inch of progress in the last decade? There
>> has been no change in the content of anyone's posts since my questions.
>>
>> I take it from your analysis that you are a student of Sartre's play
>> "No Exit". If not read it; it's only ~50 pages long. It will remind
>> you of comp.theory and give you goose bumps.
>>
>> Several years ago, I stumbled in here and saw one of PO's posts and
>> assumed that he was intellectually challenged, aggressive, and sloppy,
>> i.e., either a dimwit or a misguided fool. So I posted a simple reply
>> to correct his "paper" and explained a few simple things. He responded
>> as if his mind was completely disassociated with his previous post and
>> my reply. I observed a little more and noted that this is common in
>> most of his posts. I also noticed that he was just plain nasty to
>> people and threw internet tantrums often.
>>
>> In any event, he was and is most unlikable and he was sort of like the
>> fellow carrying a big balloon who calls you names when you just happen
>> to have a large hat pin with you. His characteristics - nastiness,
>> disassociation, lying or uttering things that sound like lies, etc. -
>> brings out a certain nastiness in me too. It's hard to stop when you
>> don't like the target.
>>
>> I would once again ask everyone why they continue explaining to PO
>> after all this time. They will never help him technically or improve
>> him or their self by continuing the dialogue. PO is not the only one
>> who has spun on the same point so long he now lives underground. I
>> think we all do that to some extent.
>>
>> Many many years ago I had the pleasure/honor to work with J.
>> Licklider, who was the first head of the DARPA computer office (IPTO),
>> and the real visionary of computers improving society. He is also the
>> one whose vision started the network research that built the ancestor
>> of our modern internet. I have recently said many times "If Lick could
>> see USENET, Facebook, along with other social media sites, he would be

The following is a precise example of what I meant my disassociated
behavior. Text book I think.
> I am seeing things at a philosophically deeper level than learned by
> rote people ever see things.
>
> It is true that when-so-ever any input to simulating halt decider H(X,Y)
> only stops running when its simulation has been aborted that this input
> is correctly decided as not halting.
>
> This does eliminate the conventional halting problem feedback loop
> between the halt decider and its input that would otherwise make this
> input undecidable to this decider.
>
> int main() { P(P); } calls H(P,P) simulates P(P) that never halts.
>
> Halting problem undecidability and infinitely nested simulation V2
> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/356105750_Halting_problem_undecidability_and_infinitely_nested_simulation_V2
Peter, I'd suggest you relax. The last several people in this thread
were trying to find some understanding of your affected behavior,
perhaps with an objective of treating you more kindly. But it's so
difficult to do when you pop in these conversations (though they are
public and about you) with complete and total non sequitur comments.
Notice also your comments about seeing deeper and diverting from the
topic makes you no friends. I do not expect you to change or become more
insightful at this late stage of your life. But at least you might
consider abandoning the totally off target remarks and insults. If you
see more deeply and broadly than others, take a few minutes of your
valuable time and learn how to communicate on technical and
philosophical matters. The shaping of these discussions and dialogues is
precise to improve communications. Why has this been done? Millennia of
experience has shown that sloppy talk that can't be pinned down is very
very likely to be wrong and it takes too much of others time to do your
dirty work for you.
So far those who have tried have found no buried gold. All they have
gotten from you is off topic comments, insults, and nothing that makes
much sense. Completely ungrammatical statements and misuse of common
words with agreed upon meanings -- agreed upon by the vast majority of
people interested in a field -- reflects badly on the speaker. It does
not engender images of a thinker and scholar; it engenders ignorance,
wast of time, and no respect for the listener.
When someone asks you what you meant by some statement and comment, do
them the courtesy of answering. If you can. They were interested enough
to ask so they would understand you better. If upon reflection you
aren't sure what you meant, just say it was a brain fart and move on.
When someone is actually listening to you -- and that's what you want
and what you crave -- they will ask for clarifications so they can
understand: it's not an attack.
Once again I would suggest you look for professional help for the full
spectrum of your health problems. It might make your life more bearable.
--
Jeff Barnett

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V34 [ invocation invariants ]

By: olcott on Thu, 2 Dec 2021

61olcott