Base 8 is just like base 10, if you are missing two fingers. -- Tom Lehrer

computers / comp.theory / Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V34 [ invocation invariants ]

Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V34 [ invocation invariants ]

<dtMqJ.105465$VS2.54018@fx44.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24275&group=comp.theory#24275

Subject: Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V34 [ invocation
invariants ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2021 11:14:00 -0500
 by: Richard Damon - Sat, 4 Dec 2021 16:14 UTC

On 12/4/21 9:57 AM, olcott wrote:
> On 12/2/2021 9:59 PM, Mike Terry wrote:

>>> I call him a liar be cause he uses that term on others.
>>
>> Fair point, but I'd say PO has the "excuse" of literally not
>> understanding that everyone else is far more competent than him, due
>> to his problems.  Probably his view is that his arguments are genuine
>> "logical reasoning", and I doubt he even understands what the
>> difference is between his arguments and those of other responders.  I
>> don't think he understands what a proof needs to be, or really why one
>> is needed - when he is presented with a proof, he has no way of
>> following it in the way other people do, so it just seems to be
>> someone making claims to try to win their side of an argument.  So
>> when someone else doesn't agree with his claims he is genuinely
>> confused as to why that should be - either people are /deliberately/
>> biassed against him, or they're just too stupid (or lack the expertise
>> etc.) to follow his "reasoning".
>>
>> ok, that's exactly your position in the next paragraph :)
>>

>>> It has been pointed out to him MANY times that he is wrong, and
>>> either he is so mentally deficient that he is incapable of reason,
>>
>> Yes, I think he is indeed incapable of (all higher forms of) reasoning.
>>
>> I know that's not easy to believe, but when this occured to me I made
>> an effort to go through dozens of his responses to myself and others -
>> and I decided that IN NOT ONE SINGLE CASE was there any evidence that
>> PO was using a reasoned argument to make his case or respond to others
>> points.
>>
>> Every single post I looked at consisted of PO simply restating things
>> he intuitively thought were true all along but in different words,
>> like it was his language that was the underlying problem, not lack of
>> a reasoned position.  Or he simply ignored what people said,
>> presumably because he couldn't understand their argument.  And in any
>> case it didn't matter because the things he thought were correct, he
>> still thought were correct, so they hadn't "refuted his proof".  At
>> this point he would just make a general cut/paste response of one of
>> his claims not really related to the point being discussed.  Or cut
>> paste some irrelevent definition from Wikipedia of something everybody
>> else already knows and isn't in dispute...
>>
>> [ IF "incapable of reason" + "can't see that he's incapable of reason"
>> is basically the right explanation, he wouldn't be lying, right? ]
>>
>>> or he is chosing to be intentionally ignorant of the facts, which is
>>> in my books, still lying.
>>
>> I simply don't think he is choosing that.  (If he were, I'd agree
>> that's a form of lying.  But if he's /incapable/ of understanding the
>> facts, and long ago (I mean probably in his youth) stopped even trying
>> because it's a waste of time for him, and subsequently deludes himself
>> into believing those facts aren't important because he has some
>> superior view of what's going on, perhaps involving "categorically
> [...]

And you are too stupid to see the flaw in your argument caused by sloppy
language.

H needs to be a SPECIFIC decider.

If for a GIVEN H, and the P built from it, we have that

H(P,P) returns 0, then it is clear that when we run P(P) as a
computation THAT P(P) will call H and that H will do a simulation of a
COPY of P(P), and H will abort THAT COPY, and return 0 to the calling P
and that P will return and halt.

Thus the outer P is shown to run and halt in finite time purely on its
own (using ITS copy of H), and thus is clearly a Halting Computation.

This means that the P that H is simulating will have exactly the same
behavior, and thus H MSUT have used incorrect logic to decide that it
was Non-Halting. PERIOD.

Outer H run, outer H halts on its own. Something ELSE was aborted, so
that doesn't affect this logic.

Your mind seems to have lost the ability to distinguish between things
that are distinct even if they are similar. It is just broken.

You have lost the concept of there actually being something that is True
and have put your own opinions above what is actually true, and have
lost all connection with reality.

I am sure you are going to just ignore me again, but perhaps someday,
hopefully before it is too late, something will seep in and get you to
seek real help to handle your mental condition.

You have made comments in the past that show a belief in the eternal,
just remember what those say about those who don't look at what is
ACTUALLY true.

Truth will not tolerate lies to be in its presence, and if you hold onto
false ideas, you will not be there with it.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V34 [ invocation invariants ]

By: olcott on Thu, 2 Dec 2021

61olcott