Logic doesn't apply to the real world. -- Marvin Minsky

computers / comp.theory / Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V38 [ Olcott 2021 generic halt deciding principle ]

Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V38 [ Olcott 2021 generic halt deciding principle ]

<klUsJ.103685$lz3.36741@fx34.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24402&group=comp.theory#24402

Subject: Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V38 [ Olcott 2021
generic halt deciding principle ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory
<87lf0ulp2g.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <1YSdnQI1rvbGqSz8nZ2dnUU7-IvNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87fsr2lewq.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <TbWdndSCEsOUzS_8nZ2dnUU7-W2dnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87bl1pjwgw.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <sotu71$iod$1@dont-email.me>
<87tufhid2q.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <IvGdnRnnzf8PBy_8nZ2dnUU7-V_NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87lf0ti2kq.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <hNKdnSG3757sVC_8nZ2dnUU7-LfNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87bl1oigmm.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <po6dnSoD9r76HS78nZ2dnUU7-RPNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<8735n0i69z.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <B9GdnaonJ_5-IS78nZ2dnUU7-aXNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<sp0ipl$hou$1@dont-email.me> <wd2dncRQJ42-RC78nZ2dnUU7-U3NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<sp0mh4$bmf$1@dont-email.me> <C5OdnQGuH9MQfi78nZ2dnUU7-V3NnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 21:49:50 -0500
 by: Richard Damon - Sat, 11 Dec 2021 02:49 UTC

On 12/10/21 6:32 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 12/10/2021 5:06 PM, André G. Isaak wrote:

>>> Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn portion is that part that is identical to H.

>>> Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn if and only if Ĥ.qx does not transition to Ĥ.qn
>>> is incorrect.
>>>
>>> A simulating halt decider does not report on its own behavior. A
>>> simulating halt decider reports on the behavior of the simulation its
>>> its own machine description.
>>>
>>>       In computability theory, the halting problem is the problem of
>>>       determining, from a description of an arbitrary computer program
>>>       and an input, whether the program will finish running, or continue
>>>       to run forever. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halting_problem
>>>
>>> Common sense would tall you that these two must be identical and
>>> common sense is proven to be incorrect.

>>> A simulating halt decider does not report on its own behavior. A
>>> simulating halt decider reports on the behavior of the simulation its
>>> its own machine description.
>>
>> A halt decider, regardless of whether it is simulating or otherwise,
>> reports on the behaviour of the computation represented by its input.
>> This is very clearly stated by the conditions which Linz indicates in
>> his proof.
>>

> This definition has confused too many people into thinking that it is
> reporting on something besides the precise behavior that is stipulated
> by the actual input.

The input is <H^> <H^> which represents the computation H^ applied to
<H^> which is shown to be a Halting computation if H <H^> <H^> goes to
H.qn as claimed. PERIOD.

> The halt decider reports on the behavior its input as if the halt
> decider was performing a correct pure simulation of this input.

And a CORRECT PURE SIMUATION is one that will NEVER be aborted, so NOT
the execution withing any H that gives an answer.

> The halt decider performs a correct pure simulation of N steps of its
> input until the input halts on its own or the behavior of N steps of
> this input conclusively proves that the correct simulation of this input
> never stops running unless aborted.

Except that the N steps DON'T conclusively prove that the correct
simulation of this input will never stop running unless aborted.

Given that H aborts its simulation after N steps, then there will be
some number k, greater than N, where a simulator that runs for k steps
will see H simulate its input for N steps, and then abort its
simulation, return the non-halting answer to H^ and then H^ halt.

Yes, H can't do that, as H gave up after N steps.

You can't just talk about a different H that now runs for those k steps,
and then change the H^ to be based on that new H, as that will halt in
some new number j setps.

If we index H and H^ by the number of steps it will simulate we can say
that:

Hn(Pn,Pn) says 0
Pn(Pn) will halt in k steps
Hk(Pn,Pn) will say 1, proving that Hn was wrong

You ERR in looking instead at Hk(Pk,Pk) which doesn't see the halting,
but isn't the input that we were looking at.

It make the mistake in assuming that H^ uses whatever H is trying to
decice it, but that is incorrect, and in fact IMPOSSIBLE, as that makes
H^ not a computation, as its behavior is NOT just a function of its
input, but its exectution environment, and in fact makes it impossible
to define its behavior as an independent computation.

FAIL.

>> Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* ∞ if Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ halts, and
>> Ĥ.q0 ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qx ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⊢* Ĥ.qn if Ĥ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ does not halt.
>>
>> It doesn't matter than you don't like this conditions. they are the
>> conditions that the rest of the universe is talking about when they
>> discuss halt deciders.
>>
>> They are clear, unambiguous, and correct.
>>
>>> This is one level of indirection away (pointer to a pointer) from
>>> referring to its actual self.
>>
>> There are no 'pointers' when talking about Turing Machines. Nor does
>> the word 'itself' appear anywhere in the above conditions. Nor for
>> that matter do the terms 'UTM', 'simulation', nor 'pure simulation'.
>> Nor, for that matter are there any good reasons for adding such terms.

>>> 0 to ∞ steps of the simulation of P(P) by H are identical to 0 to ∞
>>> steps of the direct execution of P(P) by H.
>>>
>>> 0 to ∞ simulated steps of P(P) by H never stop running.

>>> 0 to ∞ steps of the simulation ⟨Ĥ⟩ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ by Ĥ.qx never stop
>>> running.
>>
>> But Ĥ(⟨Ĥ⟩) halts as does UTM(⟨Ĥ⟩, ⟨Ĥ⟩) as does your P(P), so clearly
>> there is something wrong with your simulator.
>>
>> If a given computations behaves differently when simulated by your
>> simulator than when it is run directly, then your simulator clearly
>> isn't performing a 'pure simulation'.
>>
>> And the halting problem is not, nor has it ever been about what
>> happens inside some broken simulator.
>>
>> André

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V38 [ Olcott 2021

By: olcott on Wed, 8 Dec 2021

68olcott