Netscape is not a newsreader, and probably never shall be. -- Tom Christiansen

computers / comp.theory / Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V38 [ Olcott 2021 generic halt deciding principle ]

Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V38 [ Olcott 2021 generic halt deciding principle ]

<zM5tJ.91552$g35.10495@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24415&group=comp.theory#24415

Subject: Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V38 [ Olcott 2021
generic halt deciding principle ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory
<TbWdndSCEsOUzS_8nZ2dnUU7-W2dnZ2d@giganews.com> <87bl1pjwgw.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<sotu71$iod$1@dont-email.me> <87tufhid2q.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<IvGdnRnnzf8PBy_8nZ2dnUU7-V_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <87lf0ti2kq.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<hNKdnSG3757sVC_8nZ2dnUU7-LfNnZ2d@giganews.com> <87bl1oigmm.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<po6dnSoD9r76HS78nZ2dnUU7-RPNnZ2d@giganews.com> <8735n0i69z.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<B9GdnaonJ_5-IS78nZ2dnUU7-aXNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sp0ipl$hou$1@dont-email.me>
<wd2dncRQJ42-RC78nZ2dnUU7-U3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <sp0mh4$bmf$1@dont-email.me>
<C5OdnQGuH9MQfi78nZ2dnUU7-V3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <sp0og5$n0l$1@dont-email.me>
<Nd2dnb1_nptney78nZ2dnUU7-THNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sp19sg$e54$1@dont-email.me>
<u56dnS-2-Y_8rin8nZ2dnUU7-KfNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sp1hko$4bg$1@dont-email.me>
<nb2dnSJGwaYZRSn8nZ2dnUU7-RPNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<JsCdnY12CJrURCn8nZ2dnUU7-T2dnZ2d@giganews.com>
<p55tJ.152584$831.91963@fx40.iad>
<vIednUfAxJuHfCn8nZ2dnUU7-f3NnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 13:06:21 -0500
 by: Richard Damon - Sat, 11 Dec 2021 18:06 UTC

On 12/11/21 12:34 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 12/11/2021 11:20 AM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> int main() { P(P); } is not a PARAMETER to H thus has nothing to do
>>> with the correctness of H. H is only accountable for its actual input
>>> parameters.
>>
>> But P,P is its input, and the MEANING of P,P is running P(P)
>> unconstrained which is what that is.
>>

> When input such as P have been defined to have a dependency relationship
> on a specific halt decider like H the actual behavior of P(P) can only
> be correctly measured by the pure simulation of P(P) from H.

WRONG. You don't get to change definitions.

First, if H IS a pure simulation of its input, the BY DEFINITION it will
never abort its input and thus FAIL to return an answer for H(P,P).

Thus, by your definition, H just plain fails to be a decider for P(P),
and thus isn't a counter example for Linz. FAIL.

If H does abort its simulation, to return an answer, it is no longer a
Pure Simulation, and thus your definition is INCORRECT. FAIL.

The ONLY definition of Halting that actually applies is what happens
when the machine is actually run with that input, or equivalently given
as an input to a REAL Pure Simulation, and if H(P,P) returns 0, then
either of these will show that P(P) halts, and if H(P,P) doesn't return,
then H fails to be a decider.

Your H thus FAILS to be a correct decider for H(P,P).

> [Olcott 2021 generic halt deciding principle] Whenever the pure
> simulation of the input to simulating halt decider H(x,y) never stops
> running unless H aborts its simulation H correctly aborts this
> simulation and returns 0 for not halting.

FALSE. The correct answer for Non-Halting is, and only is, if the pure
simulation if the machine (that was given as an input to H) will NEVER
halt, under ANY conditions. Note, pure simulation never 'abort' their
simulations, so WILL

> The above provides a correct halt status decision for all inputs.

FALSE.

> H is a decider; which is a type of computable function; which is a type
> of function; which only applies to its input parameters.

Except the H your provide never returns an answer for H(P,P), so H is
not a decider.

If you replace H with a function that somehow aborts its simulation of
its input, then it no longer is the pure simulation needed by the
definition of Halting, so doesn't atually show the input is non-halting.

FAIL.

> No function is ever accountable for anything besides input parameters in
> its domain, thus the fact that int main() { P(P); }; has different
> behavior than int main() { H(P,P); }; does not make any difference at all.

But the input to H(P,P) needs to represent the program:

int main() { P(P); }

so that IS what it is responsible for, or your H isn't actually
following the requirements of a Halt Decider.

What it doesn't represent is the PARTIAL execution that H does of it.

FAIL.

>> Basically, it sounds like you are complaining that your system isn't
>> defined correctly to allow us to properly express the problem.
>>
>> Question, Whst EXACTLY do you mean that H(x,y) is going to answer about.
>>
>> If it isn't what
>>
>> int main() { x(y); }
>>
>> does, what is?
>>
>> What is your systems definition of a 'computation' being run as an
>> independent computation?
>>
>> It seems that fundamentally, you have defined a 'equavlence' system
>> that doesn't actually meet the requirements to be equivalent.
>>
>> We need a way to define what it mean to run a given Turing Machine
>> equivalent, so to run x(y) or H(P,P) or P(P) we need to have a solid
>> definition of how to do this.
>>
>> It seems that in ALL cases, this is to define the 'C' main function to
>> call the C function that represents the machine.
>>
>> Thus the input to H(x,y) DOES mean to write an "int main() { x(y); }"
>>
>> Maybe this is part of the concept of the difference between the
>> 'representation' and the 'actual machine', your 'representation' has
>> stripped off the main function as to include it would create a
>> multiple definition error.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V38 [ Olcott 2021

By: olcott on Wed, 8 Dec 2021

68olcott