Why won't sharks eat lawyers? Professional courtesy.

computers / comp.theory / Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V34 [ OT ]( computable functions )

Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V34 [ OT ]( computable functions )

<pmRtJ.119785$Wkjc.36743@fx35.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=24508&group=comp.theory#24508

Subject: Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V34 [ OT ](
computable functions )
Newsgroups: comp.theory
<sob248$hfe$1@dont-email.me> <bd6dnRnDnpUzsTT8nZ2dnUU7-T3NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<sobdk2$4cn$1@dont-email.me> <G9adnUc79tnXozT8nZ2dnUU7-WvNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<sobf7s$g45$1@dont-email.me> <yNednRTmltsc2DT8nZ2dnUU7-LfNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<sobiaa$43v$1@dont-email.me> <1u-dnYcxEMfb0jT8nZ2dnUU7-LvNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<21dqJ.60999$hm7.35761@fx07.iad> <sobr19$qso$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<PofqJ.64696$QB1.19234@fx42.iad> <soc4mp$1kap$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<soc8ob$q55$1@dont-email.me> <soe72f$b2m$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<sp5gi3$1l6n$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<I7ydnYlwHoP91Sv8nZ2dnUU7-fmdnZ2d@giganews.com> <sp5idm$hei$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<_4udnSQwDK_NySv8nZ2dnUU7-aPNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sp5m19$s25$1@dont-email.me>
<oMudnaV6t7H_eyv8nZ2dnUU7-e3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <sp7plm$p7j$1@dont-email.me>
<d42dnWULJd9Y8yr8nZ2dnUU7-I3NnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 19:15:15 -0500
 by: Richard Damon - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 00:15 UTC

On 12/13/21 11:03 AM, olcott wrote:
> [...]
>>> theory. Computable functions are the formalized analogue of the
>>> intuitive notion of algorithms, in the sense that a function is
>>> computable if there exists an algorithm that can do the job of the
>>> function, i.e. given an input of the function domain it can return
>>> the corresponding output. Computable functions are used to discuss
>>> computability without referring to any concrete model of computation
>>> such as Turing machines... [RASP machines or their equivalent]
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computable_function
>>
>> You've quoted this passage numerous times now and every single time
>> you completely misinterpret it. Admittedly it is poorly written, but
>> after your error has been pointed out numerous times you'd think you'd
>> either read it more carefully or find a better source.
>>
>>> Since a computable function is (model of computation agnostic) this
>>> would be that it could be based on the RASP model or some other model.
>>
>> Computable functions are not based on *any* computational models,
>> because computable functions are *not* computations.
>>
>> Computable functions and noncomputable functions are subsets of
>> *mathematical* functions.
>>
>> A mathematical function is simply a mapping from one set to another.
>> It is nothing more than a set of ordered pairs which exists completely
>> independently of any method or algorithm which might be used to
>> determine that mapping.
>>
>> A Turing Machine, on the other hand, is not a function. It is an
>> algorithm, that is a method which can be used to compute some
>> function, that is a method which can determine which element of the
>> codomain each element of the domain maps to.
>>

> A function f with domain D is said to be Turing-computable
> or just computable if there exists some Turing machine
> M = (Q, Σ, Γ, δ, q0, □, F) such that q0 w ⊢* Mqff(w), qf ∈ F
> for all w ∈ D (Linz:1990:243)
>
> Olcott paraphrase of machine definition: Machine M begins at start state
> q0 on input w and transitions to qf as a function of input w.
>
> All computable functions are only accountable for their actual inputs
> likewise for algorithms corresponding to computable functions.
>
> H is only accountable to report on the sequence of configurations that
> is stipulated by this finite string pair:
> (558bec8b4508508b4d0851e8d0ffffff83c40885c07402ebfe5dc3,
>  558bec8b4508508b4d0851e8d0ffffff83c40885c07402ebfe5dc3)
>
> _P()
> [00001a8e](01)  55              push ebp
> [00001a8f](02)  8bec            mov ebp,esp
> [00001a91](03)  8b4508          mov eax,[ebp+08]
> [00001a94](01)  50              push eax         // push 2nd param
> [00001a95](03)  8b4d08          mov ecx,[ebp+08]
> [00001a98](01)  51              push ecx         // push 1st param
> [00001a99](05)  e8d0ffffff      call 00001a6e    // call H
> [00001a9e](03)  83c408          add esp,+08
> [00001aa1](02)  85c0            test eax,eax
> [00001aa3](02)  7402            jz 00001aa7
> [00001aa5](02)  ebfe            jmp 00001aa5

Whiich shows that P is NOT the needed Algorithm, since it isn't a
Algorithm at all, since it doesn't include the instructions at 1A6E
which it needs to in order to be performed.

Thus P(P) is NOT a computation, as the results depends on more than the
information provided.

FAIL.

>> There may be many different algorithms for computing a particular
>> function or there may be done. The algorithm and the function which
>> the algorithm computes are entirely different things.
>>
>>> A subset of C functions that have all the memory that they need could
>>> also be computable functions as long as they are pure.
>>
>> No C function is a computable function because the term 'function' in
>> C does not refer to mathematical functions. It refers to a block of code.
>>
>>> Pure function
>>> In computer programming, a pure function is a function that has the
>>> following properties:[1][2]
>>
>> Pure functions are a subset of *C* functions. They have nothing to do
>> with *mathematical* functions.
>>

> They correspond to computable functions.

The normally correspond to ALGORITHMS which COMPUTE a Computable Function.

>> You need to learn that the same term might have different meanings in
>> different fields.
>>
>> Computational theory is not concerned with programming languages like
>> C. The term 'function' in computational theory always refers to a
>> mathematical function, never a C function.
>>

> A function f with domain D is said to be Turing-computable
> or just computable if there exists some Turing machine
> M = (Q, Σ, Γ, δ, q0, □, F) such that q0 w ⊢* Mqff(w), qf ∈ F
> for all w ∈ D (Linz:1990:243)

Right, the FUNCTION is a MAPPING.

The Turing Machine is an ALGORITHM that COMPUTES the Function, making
the FUNCTION a Computatable Function.

> Olcott paraphrase of machine definition: Machine M begins at start state
> q0 on input w and transitions to qf as a function of input w.
>
> M computes the function f(w).

Right, it COMPUTES it, it isn't the function.

When you drive a car, are you the car?

>> When talking about C you use the C definition.
>>
>> When talking about Pascal, you use the Pascal definition, which is
>> different from either the mathematical or the C definition.
>>
>> What you can't do is use these three definitions interchangeably as
>> you seem determined to do which leads you to all sorts of weird
>> misconceptions about what the things you are reading actually mean.
>>
>> André

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V34 [ invocation invariants ]

By: olcott on Thu, 2 Dec 2021

61olcott