From: eag...@eyrie.org (Russ Allbery)
Newsgroups: news.admin.hierarchies
Subject: Re: Reviving the hierarchy notes
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 14:49:42 -0700
 by: Russ Allbery - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 21:49 UTC

Julien ÉLIE <iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid> writes:

> Incidentally, I have a question about a sentence from the initial file:
> "it would be good to extract the information in here about private and
> defunct hierarchies and combine it with the hierarchies FAQ". Which FAQ
> is it? I don't think it is the Hierarchy Administration FAQ. Is this
> FAQ still posted somewhere in a newsgroup, or available at a URL?

I believe that was the predecessor of rone's unified control.ctl file,
which in turn was the predecessor of the current control-archive
control.ctl file.

> Another question: I do not understand the wording "According to Alan
> somebody in mail to me". Has anyone a clue of the intended meaning?
> Would it be "According to Alan, somebody who emailed me"?

> manawatu.*
> For the Manawatu district of New Zealand. Contact
> news@manawatu.gen.nz for more information. According to Alan somebody
> in mail to me on 5 Feb 1993, "... it's unlikely that you'll ever see
> any traffic on it"

I don't know for sure, but knowing the way that tale phrased things, my
guess is that means someone mailed him who used only "Alan" with no last
name in their From header.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle@eyrie.org) <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

SubjectRepliesAuthor