Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 22:48:31 -0600
Subject: Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V42 [computer
scientist]
Newsgroups: comp.theory
<sqktb6$thq$1@dont-email.me> <qLidnVby_aDjlFP8nZ2dnUU7-UHNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<sql4qd$dre$1@dont-email.me> <W8OdnXzQIutMhlP8nZ2dnUU7-Q3NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<sql6he$khm$1@dont-email.me> <Y_mdnZp_XMbuvFP8nZ2dnUU7-dPNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<sqnutn$lbd$1@dont-email.me> <s_2dnY4DMJt2FlL8nZ2dnUU7-eednZ2d@giganews.com>
<sqo3vg$lun$1@dont-email.me> <FeydnXVBhLMqB1L8nZ2dnUU7-cvNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<sqo9o5$hh6$1@dont-email.me> <coadnR-r2Yc4NlL8nZ2dnUU7-S2dnZ2d@giganews.com>
<sqob91$nom$1@dont-email.me> <vfCdndIh1NrILlL8nZ2dnUU7-RudnZ2d@giganews.com>
<69PzJ.214781$3q9.35099@fx47.iad>
<FJ6dnZA9pawUXFL8nZ2dnUU7-bHNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<zCPzJ.214782$3q9.38321@fx47.iad>
<DoSdnYuLArBBUVL8nZ2dnUU7-WfNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<5cQzJ.254762$IW4.19763@fx48.iad>
<MOednVnaAIyMTFL8nZ2dnUU7-IHNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<mnQzJ.181779$6a3.8310@fx41.iad>
<Irqdnbiiy4TbS1L8nZ2dnUU7-Q_NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<FMQzJ.121927$IB7.65216@fx02.iad>
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 04:48 UTC

On 12/31/2021 10:29 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> In some cases, yes.
>>>
>>> You seem to like your Herring Red.
>>>
>>> The question is not is it possible to answer some other halting
>>> questions, but if H can answer a particular one.
>>
>> If it is the case that embedded_H does correctly determine its input
>> would never halt if it simulates 0 to ∞ steps of this input
>>
>> and it makes this determination in a finite number of steps
>> and it aborts the simulation of this input
>>

> Which it can't as proven at:
>
> Mesage ID  <FOnzJ.162569$np6.119786@fx46.iad>
> Date: 2021-12-30 19:31:49 GMT
> Subject: Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V42 [compute
> the mapping]
>
> FAIL.

That is irrelevant at this point in the dialogue.

>> this does not cause the input to halt because an input must reach its
>> final state to halt
>
> i.e that ACTUAL Machine must not reach a halting state, not an aborted
> simulation, but H& does reach that state.

Your words are incoherent.

When we hypothesize that embedded_H can determine that input to
embedded_H never reaches its final state in 0 to ∞ steps of simulation
and it can do this in a finite number of steps

computation that halts
....the Turing machine will halt whenever it enters a final state
(Linz:1990:234)

Then we know that the input never halts even it it is aborted.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott

Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V42 [where people get

By: olcott on Wed, 29 Dec 2021

126olcott