"If you are afraid of loneliness, don't marry." -- Chekhov

computers / comp.theory / Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V42 [honest dialogue]

Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V42 [honest dialogue]

<w0qAJ.115260$OB3.89193@fx06.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25357&group=comp.theory#25357

Subject: Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V42 [honest
dialogue]
Newsgroups: comp.theory
<s_2dnY4DMJt2FlL8nZ2dnUU7-eednZ2d@giganews.com> <sqo3vg$lun$1@dont-email.me>
<FeydnXVBhLMqB1L8nZ2dnUU7-cvNnZ2d@giganews.com> <sqo9o5$hh6$1@dont-email.me>
<coadnR-r2Yc4NlL8nZ2dnUU7-S2dnZ2d@giganews.com> <sqob91$nom$1@dont-email.me>
<sqsikv$6f8$1@dont-email.me> <kDlAJ.59526$Ak2.20707@fx20.iad>
<kdCdnfylmorRdkz8nZ2dnUU7-XnNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<M9mAJ.101961$hm7.80744@fx07.iad> <sqstrv$u15$1@dont-email.me>
<PanAJ.134221$SR4.1629@fx43.iad> <sqsvcm$9ds$1@dont-email.me>
<mwnAJ.82826$b%.13705@fx24.iad>
<DLGdnclJXJOalE_8nZ2dnUU7-bHNnZ2d@giganews.com> <h1oAJ.2248$jW.383@fx05.iad>
<FridnTCYMaIZk0_8nZ2dnUU7-RWdnZ2d@giganews.com>
<HioAJ.217399$1d1.317@fx99.iad>
<fZCdnRJKt4hGiE_8nZ2dnUU7-dfNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<jLoAJ.53121$bn2.35441@fx12.iad> <sqt5lu$jtj$1@dont-email.me>
<jgpAJ.134297$lz3.40486@fx34.iad>
<PvidnUt_d84Dvk_8nZ2dnUU7-YnNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<yEpAJ.115256$OB3.24594@fx06.iad>
<ZKGdnbbDSbKXuk_8nZ2dnUU7-fGdnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 17:52:17 -0500
 by: Richard Damon - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 22:52 UTC

On 1/2/22 5:28 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 1/2/2022 4:26 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> I am saying that we know it is the case that the infinite simulation
>>> of the input to embedded_H ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ WOULD never reach the final state
>>> of this input and on this basis we also know that if embedded_H WOULD
>>> transition to Ĥ.qn it WOULD be correct.
>>
>> You are doing double speak again.
>>

> WOULD is not DOES
> WOULD is not DOES
> WOULD is not DOES
> WOULD is not DOES
> WOULD is not DOES
> WOULD is not DOES
> WOULD is not DOES
> WOULD is not DOES
> WOULD is not DOES
> WOULD is not DOES
> WOULD is not DOES
> WOULD is not DOES
> WOULD is not DOES
> WOULD is not DOES
> WOULD is not DOES
> WOULD is not DOES
> WOULD is not DOES
> WOULD is not DOES
> WOULD is not DOES
> WOULD is not DOES

And actually, in the sentence it is used in as the definition, they are
actually the same.

If the UTM WOULD halt, means that it DOES halt if let run long enough

If the UTM WOULD NOT halt, means that the UTM actually DOES NOT halt,
even it the UTM is allowed to run an unbounded number of steps.

If you are using it in a different sense, then YOU are the one misusing
the term and lying by doing so.

FAIL.

>> If H/embedded_H doesn't abort its simulation, the we have shown that
>> the computation H^ <H^> is indeed non-halting, but since H doesn't
>> abort its simulation it never can give that answer.
>>
>> It doesn't matter in this case that if 'magically' H did go to H.qn
>> that it would have the right answer, because it just doesn't do that.
>>
>> On the other hand, if H/embedded_H DOES abort its simulation and goes
>> to H.qn, then we have a DIFFERENT H^, and BECAUSE H went to H.qn, that
>> H^ will also go to H^.qn and HALT, and thus H was wrong.
>>
>> You have intermixed two different definitions of behavior of H that
>> can not occur at the same time. This is just incoherent double-speak
>> to try to impute a falsehood.
>>

>>> The way that you lie is to deceitfully change what I said and then
>>> form a rebuttal on the basis of this deceitful change.
>>
>> Please point out what statement I have made that is FACTUALLY incorrect.
>>
>> YOU are the one using double speak to imply a falsehood.
>>
>> Can you provide an H that does what you speak, that if left on its own
>> would never reach the final state, but also correctly goes to H.qn
>>
>> If not, STFU.
>>
>> The fact that Non-Halting is the right answer for the Halt Decider
>> that can never give it is NOT a counter example for Linz, you claiming
>> that some how it is such a thing is just a big fat lie.
>>
>> FAIL.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V42 [where people get

By: olcott on Wed, 29 Dec 2021

126olcott