I'm still waiting for the advent of the computer science groupie.

computers / comp.theory / Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V45 [honest dialogue]

Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V45 [honest dialogue]

<boJAJ.6068$yl1.4503@fx23.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25385&group=comp.theory#25385

Subject: Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V45 [honest
dialogue]
Newsgroups: comp.theory
<YMSdnYCaDMRsok78nZ2dnUU7-cPNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<eIHAJ.43031$a24.41372@fx13.iad>
<E_6dnVk55P3w0k78nZ2dnUU7-N_NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<SpIAJ.234651$3q9.221733@fx47.iad>
<BbudnYvcmbkwyE78nZ2dnUU7-fPNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<eUIAJ.159577$Ql5.74379@fx39.iad>
<YYWdnQyKrO9GwU78nZ2dnUU7-SPNnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 15:54:37 -0500
 by: Richard Damon - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 20:54 UTC

On 1/3/22 3:30 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 1/3/2022 2:20 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> Since you know that the infinite simulation of ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ by embedded_H
>>> is not enough to ever reach the halting state of this input and
>>> infinity is the maximum now that you say that this input will reach
>>> its final state can only be a lie.
>>>
>>> Or are you so stupid that you believe an aborted simulation magically
>>> reaches the final state of this aborted simulated input?
>>>

>> You Lie with Double Speak.
>>
>> Your H/embedded_H is a Schrodinger's Turing Machine, which doesn't
>> actually exist. Some times you say it will simulate forever, other
>> times you say it will abort its simulation and go to H.qn. Since it
>> can't do both for the same machine, it just doesn't exist. PERIDD
>>

> I NEVER SAY THAT EMBEDDED_H WILL SIMULATE FOR EVER YOU FREAKING KNUCKLEHEAD
>
> I SAY THAT THE CRITERION MEASURE FOR EMBEDDED_H TO ABORT ITS SIMULATION
> AND TRANSITION TO ITS REJECT STATE IS WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF EMBEDDED_H
> SIMULATED ITS INPUT FOREVER.

Since H/embedded_H WON'T simulate forever (by your criteria) you can't
just imagine that it does, as that is a false premise.

That would be like saying that since if your cat was a dog, it could
bark, that means that cats can bark.

This applies since you are claiming GLOBAL change of the definition of
H, to the point of changing the representation of H^ to include that
'hypothetical H'.

You COULD say, "if I changed THIS COPY of H/embedded_H to not abort",
but kept all the copies in the input as there original aborting version.
We can do this, because that is just asking what would a UTM do on the
same input, by replacing THIS copy with a UTM to check the answer.

What would happen if H never aborted it simulation, NOT VALID, as H
doesn't behave that way so this is a contradiction, so do this you need
to change the input.

What would happen if THIS H was replaces by a UTM, i.e what happens if
we run a UTM on the same input. VALID.

The VALID case shows that H is wrong.

FAIL.

If you want to claim some other definition, provide a scolorly reference
to support it.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V45 [honest

By: olcott on Mon, 3 Jan 2022

31olcott