Even bytes get lonely for a little bit.

computers / comp.theory / Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V45 [honest dialogue]

Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V45 [honest dialogue]

<iVJAJ.195061$831.2021@fx40.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25387&group=comp.theory#25387

Subject: Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V45 [honest
dialogue]
Newsgroups: comp.theory
<YMSdnYCaDMRsok78nZ2dnUU7-cPNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<eIHAJ.43031$a24.41372@fx13.iad>
<E_6dnVk55P3w0k78nZ2dnUU7-N_NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<SpIAJ.234651$3q9.221733@fx47.iad>
<BbudnYvcmbkwyE78nZ2dnUU7-fPNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<eUIAJ.159577$Ql5.74379@fx39.iad>
<YYWdnQyKrO9GwU78nZ2dnUU7-SPNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<boJAJ.6068$yl1.4503@fx23.iad>
<DdKdnTsog4dJ-U78nZ2dnUU7-I3NnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 16:29:56 -0500
 by: Richard Damon - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 21:29 UTC

On 1/3/22 4:04 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 1/3/2022 2:54 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> I NEVER SAY THAT EMBEDDED_H WILL SIMULATE FOR EVER YOU FREAKING
>>> KNUCKLEHEAD
>>>
>>> I SAY THAT THE CRITERION MEASURE FOR EMBEDDED_H TO ABORT ITS
>>> SIMULATION AND TRANSITION TO ITS REJECT STATE IS WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF
>>> EMBEDDED_H SIMULATED ITS INPUT FOREVER.
>>>

>> Since H/embedded_H WON'T simulate forever (by your criteria) you can't
>> just imagine that it does, as that is a false premise.
>>
>> That would be like saying that since if your cat was a dog, it could
>> bark, that means that cats can bark.
>>
>> This applies since you are claiming GLOBAL change of the definition of
>> H, to the point of changing the representation of H^ to include that
>> 'hypothetical H'.
>>
>> You COULD say, "if I changed THIS COPY of H/embedded_H to not abort",
>> but kept all the copies in the input as there original aborting
>> version. We can do this, because that is just asking what would a UTM
>> do on the same input, by replacing THIS copy with a UTM to check the
>> answer.

>> What would happen if H never aborted it simulation, NOT VALID, as H
>> doesn't behave that way so this is a contradiction, so do this you
>> need to change the input.
>>

> void Infinite_Loop(int N)
> {
>   HERE: goto HERE;
> }
>  _Infinite_Loop()
> [00000cb5](01)  55              push ebp
> [00000cb6](02)  8bec            mov ebp,esp
> [00000cb8](02)  ebfe            jmp 00000cb8
> [00000cba](01)  5d              pop ebp
> [00000cbb](01)  c3              ret
> Size in bytes:(0007) [00000cbb]
>
> H can see what the behavior of the above would be if H never aborted the
> simulation of this input.
>
> That you say that H can not do his has to be dishonest because you are
> not that stupid.

RED HERRING.

H can correctly determine SOME machines, but NOT H^, so it FAILS.

YOU are the dishonest one for bringing up this dishonest dodge.

You have done this exact thing before, to this same response.

This is proof that you have no answer to the actual question.

You continued failure to even attempt to answer the actual flaws pointed
out is just the proof that is needed to show that you have nothing to
support your claims.

Just be aware that it is somewhat likely that if/when you do get to
submitting your paper, if you ever dare to, some review is apt to do a
search that will bring up this discussion, and if you can't answer ALL
the objections that people have brought up, you are apt to be asked
about them, and if you can't answer us, why do you think you will be
able to answer then.

Also, you will NOT have the opertunity to back off and try again with a
different tack, as that will just be the proof they need that you don't
really know what you are talking about.

So, either work on coming up with actual answers to the objections, i.e.
in this case, how can H figure out the actual behavior of H^ when that
depends on the answer that H gives to H^, and get the right answer.

I have previous given you hints on a technique that does better than
your H, but it does necessarily admit that it can't give the right
answer to H^, since there is none.

FAIL.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V45 [honest

By: olcott on Mon, 3 Jan 2022

31olcott