computers / comp.theory / Re: dbush and user253751 continued conversation [ mandatory prerequisite knowledge ]

Re: dbush and user253751 continued conversation [ mandatory prerequisite knowledge ]

<hbFEJ.222187$np6.173792@fx46.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25620&group=comp.theory#25620

Subject: Re: dbush and user253751 continued conversation [ mandatory
prerequisite knowledge ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory
<J9SdnRaIU4J10X_8nZ2dnUU7-WfNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<p9sEJ.44865$4C3.8098@fx13.iad>
<VMidnajBValOz3_8nZ2dnUU7-IHNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<YUxEJ.132917$Gco3.55824@fx01.iad>
<ctSdncq0EPnFRn_8nZ2dnUU7-U3NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<47CEJ.286377$3q9.211046@fx47.iad>
<i_SdnUrLYZ7GZX_8nZ2dnUU7-anNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<opDEJ.181817$Ql5.156146@fx39.iad>
<TtydncanhYSblX78nZ2dnUU7-f3NnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 14:23:58 -0500
 by: Richard Damon - Sat, 15 Jan 2022 19:23 UTC

On 1/15/22 12:44 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 1/15/2022 11:22 AM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> There is no H, there is only a copy of H at Ĥ.qx that is referred to
>>> as embedded_H.
>>
>> And you are wrong there. The HAD to be an H first to build H^ from.
>>
>> H is the decider that you want to make the CLAIM to be a correct
>> Halting Decider.
>>

> I wanted to make it clear that the subject of  the discussion is not H
> applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩. The subject of the discussion is embedded_H applied
> to ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩.
>
> It seems that you apply great skill and creativity to make sure that you
> always refer to things that are not being discussed.
>
>> If you are willing to stipulate that there is no such machine, fine,
>> that mean you concede the question.
>>
>> You seem to have forgotten what you are trying to do.
>>
>> You DO underestand that you can have more than 1 Turing Machine in
>> existence at a time, they all run independently, but more than one do
>> exist.

>>> There is no "represents", there is only the actual behavior specified by
>>> the actual input to embedded_H: ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩.
>>

>> And what 'behavior' does a string of symbol have?
>>
>> How did we get that string of symbols?
>>

> The behavior specified by a string of symbols is the actual behavior of
> the simulation of this string of symbols.

And the behavior for the Halting Problem would be that simulation by a
REAL UTM, not some 'partial' simulator.

Remember are claiming to work on an established problem, so you need to
use the established definitions.

>>> embedded_H computes the mapping from its input: ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩ to Ĥ.qy or Ĥ.qn.
>>>
>>> The actual behavior of this actual input is measured by the pure
>>> simulation of N steps by embedded_H of its input ⟨Ĥ⟩ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩.
>>>

>> No, if anything the actual behavior of this input is measured by the
>> ACTUAL pure simulation of that input but a REAL UTM until it either
>> halts or NEVER halts.
>>

> No one is stupid enough to believe that a halt decider must wait an
> infinite amount of time for an infinite loop to stop running.

No one says the halt decider needs to compute its answer that way, this
is the difference between the IMPLEMENTATION done by the Halt Decider,
and the REQUIREMENTS specified for it.

H CAN'T wait forever to get its answer, it needs to answer in finite time.

The DEFINITION of the Halting Function is based on something that at
least naively, can take an infinite time. The key is that to claim that
this is actually 'computable' means that you are claiming that this
apparently infinite time operation can be done in finite time.

Remember, the Halting Problem STARTED with a 'Function' also known as a
mapping of machines and inputs to a Halting or Non-Halting property.

So Halting is a mapping of (M,w) -> {Halting, Non-Halting} based on the
condition that (M,w) -> Halting iff M applied to w will Halt in a finite
number of steps, and (M, w) -> Non-Halting if M applied to w will NEVER
halt.

The claim is that there exists no Turing Machine H, that can take as an
input a representation of this 'input' to the Halting Function, and
computate the answer.

That machine, if it existed, would have the following specification:

H wM w -> H.Qy if M w will Halt, and -> H.Qn if M w will never halt.

Given this specification, Turing (and Linz) have shown that it is
possible to create a machine H^ that uses this H, and that H can never
give the right answer to.

If you want to try to disprove this, you need to actually show that you
can do it. Yes, H CAN'T just wait forever to get the answer, and that is
the problem. You make lots of 'claims' about what you can do, but all
these claims contain Unicorns, a claim that you can do something that is
impossible, and you NEVER actually show how you claim to do it.

You arguements just FAIL.

> Some people are smart enough to understand that infinite loops, infinite
> recursion and infinitely nested simulation demonstrate infinite behavior
> patterns that can be recognized in a finite number of steps.

Proven incorrect.

Mesage ID <FOnzJ.162569$np6.119786@fx46.iad>
Date: 2021-12-30 19:31:49 GMT
Subject: Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V42 [compute
the mapping]

It is well established that there is no finite exhaustive enumeration of
non-halting behavior.

>> You are forgetting the problem you are trying to solve and have gone
>> off into mental Unicorn land.
>>
>> FAIL.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o dbush and user253751 continued conversation

By: olcott on Thu, 13 Jan 2022

53olcott