"Life, loathe it or ignore it, you can't like it." -- Marvin the paranoid android

computers / comp.theory / Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V52 [ Ignorant or Dishonest ]

Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V52 [ Ignorant or Dishonest ]

<UN_GJ.275715$1d1.2334@fx99.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25808&group=comp.theory#25808

Subject: Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V52 [ Ignorant or
Dishonest ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory
<VuWdnWDDRYaYqHH8nZ2dnUU7-UXNnZ2d@giganews.com> <7XWGJ.2501$2V.1175@fx07.iad>
<MJudnaGsk80GoXH8nZ2dnUU7-cPNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<8eXGJ.53034$Y01.12453@fx45.iad>
<rY2dnfFFpOQU2XH8nZ2dnUU7-KPNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<pWXGJ.18523$VK4.16193@fx08.iad>
<i4idnXTXWeLE0XH8nZ2dnUU7-WfNnZ2d@giganews.com> <AeYGJ.3517$2W.1872@fx36.iad>
<a6-dnU-EiYU0z3H8nZ2dnUU7-SHNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<7NZGJ.253260$VS2.134222@fx44.iad>
<_c-dnS9uAqrU8XH8nZ2dnUU7-YvNnZ2d@giganews.com> <8y_GJ.7767$tW.1827@fx39.iad>
<JOqdnYm4c7z463H8nZ2dnUU7-anNnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 16:36:52 -0500
 by: Richard Damon - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 21:36 UTC

On 1/22/22 4:25 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 1/22/2022 3:20 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> Before embedded_H transitions to Ĥ.qn it has already aborted its
>>> simulated input making it utterly impossible for any aspect of this
>>> simulated input to do anything at all.
>>
>> Then you are just talking POOP and not halting.
>>

> It is simply beyond your intellectual capacity:
>
> This is true for infinite loops, infinite recursion, infinitely nested
> simulation and all other non halting inputs:
>
> When-so-ever any simulated input to any simulating halt decider would
> never reach the final state of this simulated input in any finite number
> of steps it is always correct for the simulating halt decider to abort
> its simulation and transition to its reject state.

Can you PROVE that statement, or is this just one of your false 'self
evident truth'. Does the proof include the posibility that the input
includes a copy of the decider?

The problem is that IF the simulating halt decider does abort its input
based on some condition, then it is no longer a source of truth for the
halting status of that input.

It turns out that for H^, if H does abort its simulation, then it turns
out that an actual simulation of the input proves that it will halt.

>> Remember, the definition of Halting is based on what a UTM does with
>> the exact same input, and the UTM WON'T (in fact CAN'T) abort the
>> simulation at that point but continues on, and that H^ will continue
>> on to use a copy of H that will do that exact same simulation and
>> abort its simulation (but not the running of its 'caller'), and
>> transition to H.Qn which means H^ goes to H^.Qn and Halts.
>>
>> FAIL.
>>

>>> It is just like unplugging your computer, zero more steps are executed.
>>>

>> Except Halting isn't based on what a particular copy does, but what
>> any copy would do if allowed to run.
>>
>> FAIL
>>
>> Seems to me to be just more POOP.
>>
>> CLEANUP ON AISLE 52, someone has left POOP all over the floor.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V52 [ Linz Proof ]

By: olcott on Sat, 22 Jan 2022

277olcott