"Engineering without management is art." -- Jeff Johnson

computers / comp.theory / Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V52 [ Ignorant or Dishonest ]

Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V52 [ Ignorant or Dishonest ]

<CspHJ.6567$uP.5786@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25864&group=comp.theory#25864

Subject: Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V52 [ Ignorant or
Dishonest ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory
<zQiHJ.266154$np6.261295@fx46.iad> <sski0q$oqi$1@dont-email.me>
<kfkHJ.7205$zV.6163@fx43.iad> <sskk6q$86p$1@dont-email.me>
<JPkHJ.266155$np6.131863@fx46.iad>
<rrGdnV_ySKRmR3D8nZ2dnUU7-Y_NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<6clHJ.303815$qz4.185496@fx97.iad>
<CMidnfXpKJh1fHD8nZ2dnUU7-QnNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<aRlHJ.23755$XU.7495@fx38.iad>
<OMqdnSfhrYOCcXD8nZ2dnUU7-T3NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<87mHJ.22633$dG7.7407@fx47.iad>
<GNqdnSg7oc-Eb3D8nZ2dnUU7-XHNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<wSmHJ.53088$Y01.31344@fx45.iad>
<KJ-dnWCshr7gYXD8nZ2dnUU7-TXNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<aGnHJ.254127$VS2.43875@fx44.iad>
<u9Kdna64maOflHP8nZ2dnUU7-U_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <sYnHJ.6193$9O.3928@fx12.iad>
<ofSdnRQ7qYe8knP8nZ2dnUU7-XHNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<NmoHJ.22635$dG7.20402@fx47.iad>
<mZSdnWvt5_EXhXP8nZ2dnUU7-Q_NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<0_oHJ.254128$VS2.188172@fx44.iad>
<qvWdncTddvgAgnP8nZ2dnUU7-QHNnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 22:57:22 -0500
 by: Richard Damon - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 03:57 UTC

On 1/23/22 10:40 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 1/23/2022 9:24 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> It is only stipulated to be correct other details are currently
>>> unspecified.
>>
>> That isn't a 'stipulation', that is a DEFINITION.
>>
>> This is obviously your attempt at being a weasel.
>>
>> The DEFINITION of correct simulation is the results of a UTM
>> simulating the input.
>>
>> Any deviaiton in this means you are just eating your POOP.

>>> This seems to be the very first time that you actually paid close
>>> attention, good jo

>>> We define Linz H to base its halt status decision on the behavior of
>>> its pure simulation of N steps of its input. N is either the number
>>> of steps that it takes for its simulated input to reach its final
>>> state or the number of steps required for H to match an infinite
>>> behavior pattern proving that its simulated input would never reach
>>> its own final state. In this case H aborts the simulation of this
>>> input and transitions to H.qn.
>>>

>> Note, The correct answer is NOT based on a simulation of N steps, but
>> a simulation by a UTM which will run until it halts.
>>
>> H needs to make ITS decision on the limited N step, so it needs to
>> prove that its answer matches.
>>
>> Remember, when we do this run, H is defined, and thus N is a SPECIFIC
>> number, not an 'arbitrary' number.
>>
>> You also will need to some how prove that a pattern exists in N steps
>> that correct dectect non-halting.
>>
>> This has been previously shown to be impossible, so you need to
>> actually come up with it or show an actual error in the proof. You
>> can't just assume it exists.
>>

> Great we can move to the next step:
>
> (1) Premise: When embedded_H correctly determines its simulated INPUT to
> embedded_H cannot possibly reach its final state
>
> (2) Conclusion: It is necessarily correct for embedded_H to report that
> its correctly simulated INPUT cannot possibly reach its final state.

WARNING, you are getting way into hypothecctica Unicoprn Terretory, but
lets unpack this statement.

IF H can correctly deteremine (that means that there needs to exist a
finite algroithm to determine this case, and that this result matches
the behavior demonstrated by the definitional UTM simulataion of this
input), that the input will NEVER reach it final state,

Then yes, it is correct for H to report that its input can not possible
reach its final state.

Note, that if H does this, then the proof that the input never reached
its final state must have included that fact that the copy of H inside
H^ will also do the exact same thing with the exact same input.

Also, to show the premise is True, you need to be able to PROVE or
actually provide the exact finite algorithm that it used to detemine
this fact.

Again, you are just restating your requirements and trying to add weasel
words, all words here need to be interpreted in to context of the
original problem.

I.e. Correct is as determined by a UTM, with a specifically defined H,
not the fact that there exists no H that can reach the final state.

We also need that H^ is actually built by the specifications and the H
that claims to be correctly deciding is the exact H that H^ was built from.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V52 [ Linz Proof ]

By: olcott on Sat, 22 Jan 2022

277olcott