"You know, we've won awards for this crap." -- David Letterman

computers / comp.theory / Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V52 [ Honest Dialogue Begins ]

Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V52 [ Honest Dialogue Begins ]

<1UIHJ.282256$1d1.28846@fx99.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=25874&group=comp.theory#25874

Subject: Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V52 [ Honest
Dialogue Begins ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory
<u9Kdna64maOflHP8nZ2dnUU7-U_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <sYnHJ.6193$9O.3928@fx12.iad>
<ofSdnRQ7qYe8knP8nZ2dnUU7-XHNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<NmoHJ.22635$dG7.20402@fx47.iad>
<mZSdnWvt5_EXhXP8nZ2dnUU7-Q_NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<0_oHJ.254128$VS2.188172@fx44.iad>
<qvWdncTddvgAgnP8nZ2dnUU7-QHNnZ2d@giganews.com> <CspHJ.6567$uP.5786@fx16.iad>
<ld2dnW-kzJX_tXP8nZ2dnUU7-W3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <z9qHJ.3181$rU.2919@fx34.iad>
<i7qdnYQH-OUoInP8nZ2dnUU7-b3NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<qWGHJ.11522$2W.7884@fx36.iad>
<yuWdnWDd8speonL8nZ2dnUU7-cPNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<KPHHJ.311933$qz4.109480@fx97.iad>
<OMGdndHAM9CDznL8nZ2dnUU7-YfNnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 21:03:41 -0500
 by: Richard Damon - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 02:03 UTC

On 1/24/22 8:32 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 1/24/2022 6:50 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> When embedded_H simulates ⟨Ĥ⟩ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ these steps would keep
>>> repeating:
>>> Ĥ copies its input ⟨Ĥ⟩ to ⟨Ĥ⟩ then embedded_H simulates ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩...
>>
>> If that is what happens, then obviously H never aborted its
>> simulation, so it CAN'T.
>>

> As soon as embedded_H correctly recognizes this infinitely repeating
> pattern in its correct simulation of N steps of its input it is
> necessarily correct for it to report that that its simulated input
> cannot possibly ever reach its halt state.

Only if it proved that it was correct if it does abort and go to H.Qn,
which it can't.

Fairy Dust Powered Unicorns again.

No comment on my proof, and even snipped it out.

I guess it is too togh for you to argue against.

FAIL.

> This is a little bit more complex version of: when we know that X is a
> dog then we are necessarily correct to say that X is a dog.

RED HERRING and false analogy.

> It is absurdly ridiculous to believe that it is utterly impossible for a
> TM to fail recognize the pattern of the same two steps that keep repeating.

Maybe that is your problem. You aren't interested in seeing where you
are wrong and turn the blind eye to the truth.

The problem is that loop only exists if H is an unconditional execution
of its input. And that case can't actual stop its running.

If you change H to be a simulator, then the actual pattern isn't that,
but that is only the path when you ignore the simulator part. Remember,
H really needs to simulate the copy of H it sees in H^, or at minimum
take its behavior into account, which includes that H has conditionality
in execution. You transformation is only valid if H is restricted to
NEVER abort (not just doesn't abort in the part of it that is sumulatd).

Thus you can only validly detect that pattern if you can't act on it,
because you have defined that H won't abort.

Thus H is only 'correct' if it dies with the knowledge, which actually
makes it incorrect in the eyes of the theory.

Your problem is that you just don't understand how these things work.

One point to remind you, in establish fields, 'Obviously True' is not
acceptable proof, if it really is obviosly true, then you should be able
to prove it.

Proofs MUST work from the ACCEPTED axioms (the core obvious truths that
are universally accepted in the field), the ACCEPTED definitions, the
established proven Theorems, and anything that you have actually been
able to prove by those items.

You haven't actually proved much at all, as you haven't actuallly quoted
much in the way of accepted fact to derive your logic.

If you can't see why H can't detect any

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V52 [ Linz Proof ]

By: olcott on Sat, 22 Jan 2022

277olcott