Marriage is the sole cause of divorce.

computers / comp.theory / Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V59 [ key essence ]

Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V59 [ key essence ]

<7OjKJ.2231$Lbb6.295@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26180&group=comp.theory#26180

Subject: Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V59 [ key essence ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory
<7FFJJ.29151$541.18496@fx35.iad> <st7a2e$oo$1@dont-email.me>
<ibHJJ.56320$u41.55552@fx41.iad>
<hK-dnaKCNvKd2Wr8nZ2dnUU7-fPNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<gIHJJ.29153$541.4042@fx35.iad> <st91ek$p4g$1@dont-email.me>
<st9fn6$60s$2@gioia.aioe.org> <RqidnSdLIdwH2GX8nZ2dnUU7-SXNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<Kk%JJ.20609$OF3.19827@fx14.iad> <staa42$dgq$1@dont-email.me>
<wv2KJ.25296$tW.1549@fx39.iad>
<b_SdnVRGB-GdK2X8nZ2dnUU7-YPNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<4L2KJ.23685$jb1.8458@fx46.iad>
<rv2dnc__PYfMJ2X8nZ2dnUU7-WHNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<Pu3KJ.19025$mS1.14927@fx10.iad>
<H7mdnTXm59-szWT8nZ2dnUU7-bvNnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 18:57:55 -0500
 by: Richard Damon - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 23:57 UTC

On 2/1/22 10:22 AM, olcott wrote:
> On 1/31/2022 11:25 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> No that is wrong. embedded_H is being asked:
>>> Can the simulated ⟨Ĥ⟩ applied to ⟨Ĥ⟩ possibly transition to ⟨Ĥ⟩.qn ?
>>>

>> If you say 'No', then you aren't doing the halting problem, as the
>> requirement I stated is EXACTLY the requirement of the Halting Problem.
>
> The halting problem is vague on the definition of halting, it includes
> that a machine has stopped running and that a machine cannot reach its
> final state. My definition only includes the latter.

No, it is NOT 'Vague', a machine will EITHER stop running because it
will reach a final state, or it can NEVER reach such a state.

Please show a machine that doesn't reach its final state but also
doesn't run forever?

You seem to think that it is possible for a machine to be in some middle
state.

Please provide an example of such a machine.

Note, the definition is stated the way it is because a simulator that
aborts its simulation does NOT indicate either of the cases and does not
provide evidence of the Halting state of a computation.

> The halting problem does not bother to mention the requirement that
> because all halt deciders are deciders they are only accountable for
> computing the mapping from their finite string inputs to an accept or
> reject state on the basis of the actual behavior specified by this input.

But if they do not compute the mapping per the definition, they are NOT
'Halt Deciders', that is your problem, what you are doing is trying to
define a POOP decider can call it a Halt Decider.

You are not ALLOWED to change the definiton of Halting, when you try, it
just means you logic is unsound and doesn't prove anything, because it
si based on a false premise.

PERIOD.

> The halting problem does not specifically examine simulating halt
> deciders, none-the-less the behavior of a correctly simulated machine
> description is known to be equivalent to the behavior of the direct
> execution of this same machine.

Right, NON-ABORTED simuluation, and UNSTOPPED execution. So an H that
aborts or 'debug steps' does NOT prove hon-halting.

PERIOD.

FAIL.

> Since a simulating halt decider is merely a UTM for simulated inputs
> that reach their final state when a simulating halt decider correctly
> determines that its simulated its input cannot possibly reach its final
> state this is complete proof that this simulated input never halts.

No, it is NOT a UTM if it aborts its simulation for ANY reason other
than the machine reached a final statee.

Even if it correctly predicts that its input is non-halting, a UTM does
not abort its simulation, as BY DEFINITION, it behaves the same as the
machine it is simulating, so if that is non-halting, then the UTM must
be too.

PERIOD.

DEFINITIOPN.

FAIL.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V52 [ Linz Proof ]

By: olcott on Sat, 22 Jan 2022

277olcott