Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggy" until you can find a rock.

computers / comp.theory / Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V62 [ misconceptions ]

Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V62 [ misconceptions ]

<i0UMJ.29891$Lbb6.12914@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26427&group=comp.theory#26427

Subject: Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V62 [ misconceptions
]
Newsgroups: comp.theory
<7ckMJ.40194$%uX7.13960@fx38.iad> <stsv18$6e3$1@dont-email.me>
<2UsMJ.18969$3jp8.698@fx33.iad> <stu2kf$4hg$1@dont-email.me>
<lyDMJ.18606$z688.8500@fx35.iad>
<NeednRc4XuPYlp7_nZ2dnUU7-VXNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<AXEMJ.6305$4vG9.2509@fx19.iad>
<OFydnQVyE80muZ7_nZ2dnZeNn_XNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<udOMJ.5581$0vE9.5549@fx17.iad>
<A4SdnauKG-d0IJ7_nZ2dnUU7-RHNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<4mPMJ.19776$iK66.4863@fx46.iad>
<k5OdnYQlAcHXcZ7_nZ2dnUU7-YfNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<KgSMJ.47860$t2Bb.36697@fx98.iad>
<BYadnf5XWaGHaJ7_nZ2dnUU7-VHNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<zXSMJ.7936$979a.7156@fx14.iad>
<t8mdnWUaS5_sl5n_nZ2dnUU7-QXNnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 13:48:45 -0500
 by: Richard Damon - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 18:48 UTC

On 2/9/22 1:39 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 2/9/2022 11:35 AM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> You have this misconception welded into your brain.
>>> That is just like asking did Bill come over last night?
>>>
>>> You answer yes because Bill's lawyer came over and Bill's lawyer
>>> represents Bill.
>>>

>> Say what you will, but the DEFINTION of what a Halt Decider is
>> supposed to answer on is the actual behavior of the machine that the
>> input represents.
>>
> If the court is trying to establish an alibi for Bill and you answer
> this on the basis that Bill's lawyer instead of Bill you would go to
> prison for perjury. This proves that you are not allowed to use the term
> "represents" to refer to something else somewhere else.

So, do you think you should go to jail for the perjury of Ha reporting
on the behavior of Hn^ instead if Ha^?

That is your wrong answer.

> When a finite string Turing machine description represents a Turing
> Machine then the UTM simulation of the finite string will always have
> computationally equivalent behavior to the direct execution of the
> Turing machine.

Right, A REAL UTM, which never aborts its simulation, but is non-halting
if its input represents a non-halting computation, as is part of the
defintion of a UTM.

> This proves that the behavior of the pure simulation of the input ⟨Ĥ⟩
> ⟨Ĥ⟩ to embedded_H is the correct measure of the behavior that this
> finite string pair specifies.

Yes, if H IS a real UTM, then H^ applied to <H^> is non-halting, but
your problem is that then H never returns an answer, so it isn't a
coorect Halting Decider.

H/embedded_H can't be both a real UTM, and also abort its simulation to
return the answer you want.

If H isn't actually a UTM, then analysing the computation as if it was
one is just unsound.

FAIL.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V62 [ Linz Proof ]

By: olcott on Sun, 6 Feb 2022

163olcott