From: polco...@gmail.com (olcott)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.ai.philosophy,sci.logic,sci.math
Subject: Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V62 [ misconceptions
]
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 13:37:57 -0600
<7ckMJ.40194$%uX7.13960@fx38.iad> <stsv18$6e3$1@dont-email.me>
<2UsMJ.18969$3jp8.698@fx33.iad> <stu2kf$4hg$1@dont-email.me>
<lyDMJ.18606$z688.8500@fx35.iad>
<NeednRc4XuPYlp7_nZ2dnUU7-VXNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<AXEMJ.6305$4vG9.2509@fx19.iad>
<OFydnQVyE80muZ7_nZ2dnZeNn_XNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<udOMJ.5581$0vE9.5549@fx17.iad>
<A4SdnauKG-d0IJ7_nZ2dnUU7-RHNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<4mPMJ.19776$iK66.4863@fx46.iad>
<k5OdnYQlAcHXcZ7_nZ2dnUU7-YfNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<KgSMJ.47860$t2Bb.36697@fx98.iad>
<BYadnf5XWaGHaJ7_nZ2dnUU7-VHNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<zXSMJ.7936$979a.7156@fx14.iad>
<t8mdnWUaS5_sl5n_nZ2dnUU7-QXNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<i0UMJ.29891$Lbb6.12914@fx45.iad>
<HVudnXKnrdOxk5n_nZ2dnZeNn_fNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<stUMJ.47863$t2Bb.14394@fx98.iad>
 by: olcott - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 19:37 UTC

On 2/9/2022 1:19 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> So, do you think you should go to jail for the perjury of Ha
>>> reporting on the behavior of Hn^ instead if Ha^?
>>>
>>> That is your wrong answer.

>>> Right, A REAL UTM, which never aborts its simulation, but is
>>> non-halting if its input represents a non-halting computation, as is
>>> part of the defintion of a UTM.
>>
>> When embedded_H correctly determines that the pure simulation of its
>> input by a real UTM would never reach the final state of this input
>> and it makes this determination in a finite number of steps, then it
>> is necessarily correct for embedded_H  to transition to its reject state.
>>

> Except that the 'correct determination' was based on the assumption that
> H/embedded_H IS just a UTM,

That is factually incorrect. embedded_H determines what the behavior of
its input would be if its was simulated by UTM instead of a simulating
halt decider.

On the basis that a UTM simulation "never reaches the final state" of
the input then embedded_H knows that its input "never halts" because
"never halts" means "never reaches the final state" of the input.

When we know that we have a black cat then we know that we have a cat
and anyone disagreeing either looks very foolish or very dishonest.

--
Copyright 2021 Pete Olcott "Talent hits a target no one else can hit;
Genius hits a target no one else can see." Arthur Schopenhauer

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V62 [ Linz Proof ]

By: olcott on Sun, 6 Feb 2022

163olcott