System going down at 5 this afternoon to install scheduler bug.

computers / comp.theory / Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V62 [ my legacy ]

Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V62 [ my legacy ]

<i5EPJ.32128$r6p7.5340@fx41.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26675&group=comp.theory#26675

Subject: Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V62 [ my legacy ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory
<NZednWhW8to3XpD_nZ2dnUU7-VOdnZ2d@giganews.com>
<7IjPJ.12295$XFM9.7011@fx18.iad>
<XICdnT_q4aIVV5D_nZ2dnUU7-dvNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<c%jPJ.44955$Wdl5.32288@fx44.iad>
<vLudnchJ3YIDUJD_nZ2dnUU7-QvNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<AykPJ.64853$Lbb6.52236@fx45.iad>
<p_adnQJkRaC7Q5D_nZ2dnUU7-Q3NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<lJidnYGTm7RvQ5D_nZ2dnUU7-XPNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<tNqPJ.37317$f2a5.24020@fx48.iad> <20220217181611.000022e8@reddwarf.jmc>
<4P-dna-klb3qCpP_nZ2dnUU7-KnNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<20220217194845.000037aa@reddwarf.jmc>
<zPudneGKipT3M5P_nZ2dnUU7-bXNnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2022 22:09:03 -0500
 by: Richard Damon - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 03:09 UTC

On 2/17/22 3:22 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 2/17/2022 1:48 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:
>> On Thu, 17 Feb 2022 12:44:05 -0600
>> olcott <NoOne@NoWhere.com> wrote:

>>> According to medical science I have terminal cancer with little time
>>> left. I intend my HP proof rebuttal to be my legacy.
>>>
>>> Since you already agreed that the pathological self-reference of the
>>> halting problem proofs makes these proof illegitimate I have no idea
>>> why you would be reversing course now.
>> I am not reversing course: I still think you are correct however your
>> argument with Richard Damon is going nowhere as he and most others
>> cannot see (or refuse to see) the category error present in the basis
>> for the proofs.
>>
>> /Flibble
>>

> Do you have any suggestions of a way that I can proceed such that this
> category error can be clearly seen by others?
>
> The closest thing that I have found that might accomplish this is
> something along the lines of a much simpler analogy that
> Daryl McCullough came up with 6/25/04 on the sci.logic USENET group.
>
> I recently contacted him through Facebook and he is the original author
> of: "Jack's question" It took me many years to track down the original
> author of this original post. For many years I called it Bill's question
> and may have attributed the authorship to someone else.
> https://groups.google.com/g/sci.logic/c/4kIXI1kxmsI/m/hRroMoQZx2IJ
>
> You ask someone (we'll call him "Jack") to give a truthful
> yes/no answer to the following question:
>
> Will Jack's answer to this question be no?
>
> Jack can't possibly give a correct yes/no answer to the question.
>
> Daryl applied his analogy to Gödel's 1931 Incompleteness Theorem and
> Turing's Halting problem proof.
>

> By slightly adapting the halt status criterion measure a halt decider
> may be defined that correctly determines the halt status of the
> conventional halting problem proof counter-examples.

But then you are no longer doing the Halting Problem.

> Simple English version of Olcott's Halt status criterion measure:
> Every simulating halt decider that must abort the simulation of its
> input to prevent its infinite simulation correctly transitions to its
> reject state.

Which isn't the Halting Problem, so it fails to show what you want.

> Somewhat formalized version of Olcott's Halt status criterion measure:
> Let ⟨M⟩ describe a Turing machine M = (Q, Σ, Γ, δ, q₀, □, F), and let w
> be any element of Σ⁺, A solution of the halting problem is a Turing
> machine H, which for any ⟨M⟩ and w, performs the computation (Linz
> 1990:317)
>
> H.q0 ⟨M⟩ w ⊢* H.qy ----- iff UTM( ⟨M⟩, w ) reaches the final state of M
> H.q0 ⟨M⟩ w ⊢* H.qn ----- iff UTM( ⟨M⟩, w ) would never reach the final
> state of M
>
> RHS is a paraphrase of Ben Bacarisse encoding of my halt status
> criterion measure.

But this criteria, if you are being HONEST and using the proper
defintions shows that H is incorrect in going to H.Qn, as if H goest to
H.Qn, then H^ also goes to H^.Qn and Halts, and thus UTM(<H^>,<H^>) is
seen to reach its final state, and thus H needed to go to H.Qy.

Thus H going to H.Qn is NEVER correct for H <H^> <H^>, with H^ built by
the formula of Linz.

FAIL.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V62 [ Linz Proof ]

By: olcott on Sun, 6 Feb 2022

163olcott