Staff meeting in the conference room in 3 minutes.

computers / comp.theory / Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V62 [ my legacy ]( the nature of truth )

Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V62 [ my legacy ]( the nature of truth )

<%gPPJ.6578$uW1.3501@fx27.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=26697&group=comp.theory#26697

Subject: Re: Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V62 [ my legacy ](
the nature of truth )
Newsgroups: comp.theory
<AykPJ.64853$Lbb6.52236@fx45.iad>
<p_adnQJkRaC7Q5D_nZ2dnUU7-Q3NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<lJidnYGTm7RvQ5D_nZ2dnUU7-XPNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<tNqPJ.37317$f2a5.24020@fx48.iad> <20220217181611.000022e8@reddwarf.jmc>
<4P-dna-klb3qCpP_nZ2dnUU7-KnNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<6%DPJ.67514$Lbb6.41953@fx45.iad>
<_e6dnXea6eE3kJL_nZ2dnUU7-VnNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<sun2q5$1bkg$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<NuednUp91v5tj5L_nZ2dnUU7-fXNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<MMEPJ.35878$41E7.8164@fx37.iad> <sun608$7hm$1@dont-email.me>
<a9FPJ.6571$uW1.1454@fx27.iad>
<sPOdndIGvPL7LpL_nZ2dnUU7-IfNnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 10:52:28 -0500
 by: Richard Damon - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 15:52 UTC

On 2/18/22 9:55 AM, olcott wrote:
> On 2/17/2022 10:21 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> Every expression of language does not count as true until after it
>>> has been proven. There are only two ways to determine if an
>>> analytical expression of language is true. It is an axiom that
>>> assigned the value of Boolean true. It is derived by sound deduction
>>> that is ultimately anchored in axioms.
>>>

>> Can you PROVE that statement? or is this just a axiom you need to assume.
>
> Analytical expressions of language are verified to be true entirely on
> the basis of their meaning.

WRONG. Formal; system transcend simple meaning of words by precisely
defining there concepts, and restricting their discussion to just that
precisely defined concepts.

You can extend a system by adding new precisely defined concepts, but
even if the 'ordinary' meaning of words imply relationships, they are
not just established by that meaning in the system, but must actually be
PROVED by its logic.

In one sense, yes, you go by the meaning of the words, but the only
words that have meaning are the ones formally defined in the system.

> By what means can any analytic expression of language be correctly known
> to be true besides semantic tautology (defined below)?
>
> It is either known to be true by definition:
> Dogs are defined to be animals.
> Or is is known to be true by sound deductive inference:
> (1) Dogs are defined to be animals.
> (2) Animals are defined to be living things.
> ∴ Dogs are living things.
>
> The proof of what I say is that no counter-example exists.

FALSE. (Not to your tautology, but to the statement that the semantic
tautology proves your point).

I suppose then you must the argree that Russell's Teapot must exist
since you can't prove it doesn't? There is no 'counter-example' to the
statement that it exists.

The issue is your 'claim' to the halting problem fails on several grounds.

For H to be a Halting Decider, it must have a fixed predefined finite
algorithm, and thus the discussion of what might happen if it was
defined differently (and thus the input defined differently) isn't
applicable.

Also, you use the term 'sumulator', but the only 'simulator' in
computation theory that mets your requirements is precisely the UTM, but
the UTM also has built into its definition the neccesary condition that
it will not 'abort' its simulation, thus your H that does abort its
'simulation' is NOT what Computation Theory talks of as a 'simulator'.

You claim a number of things must exists, like a finite set of finite
patterns that can be compared agaisnt to universally detect non-halting
behavior. Such a claim of existance needs to be combined with an actual
PROOF that it does, not just that it seems it must (and in fact, I have
shown you a proof that it does not).

Over all, you have shown yourself to be a below-average logician who
fails in the basic knowledge of the art. Perhaps you can make a somewhat
persuasive argument in the philosophical reaches of logic where
formalism isn't required. Places where they do debate things like what
is Truth, sometimes to the point of objecting to the fact that reality
exists.

You do NOT seem to have what it takes to make an actual acceptable proof
in the Formal Systems that you are attempting. I am not sure you even
really understand what a formal system is and how to work in one.

Remember, the key component of a Formal System is an initially defined
set of Truths, the basics that are accepted as True, and are only added
on to by Formally manipulating those know True things to prove other
statements.

You don't get to assert that something else 'must be true' by the
meaning of the words, unless that meaning is an actual Formal Definition
that has been accepted in the system. You DON'T get to 'redefine'
existing facts, like the definition of Halting, and what that ACTUALLY
means in the system.

Turing Machines are embodiments of algorithms into a precise computation
structure.

A Turing Machine applied to an input Halts if, and only if, when that
machine is applied to that input it reaches a terminal state in a finite
number of steps, and failure to halt is only true if it will NEVER reach
such a state for all numbers of finite steps.

We can prove an equivalent definition with a UTM, but something is only
a UTM if it continues is simulation FOREVER and never stops.

Things that have been proven in Computation Theory include things like
all embodiments of a given algorithm, when given the same input will
yield the same output, and the ligitimacy of composing multiple
algorithms together into a unified algorithm and thus a unified Turing
Machine.

This means that to make the Turing Machine H, you first need to actually
FIX you algorithm into a definite fixed sequence of steps, and once you
do that it is possible to create the H^ algorithm that embedded the H
algorithm inside of it, that algorithm MUST behave identical to the
'freestanding' H when given the same input.

This means you arguement that embedded_H isn't exactly H is bogus, by
the rules of construction there IS an exact copy of the algorithm of H
in H^ that has been composed with other actions, but the algorithm of H
has not been touched, and so will behave exactly the same.

By the construction, if H applied to <H^> <H^> goes to H.Qn, then H^
appied to <H^> will use its copy of H applied to <H^> <H^> and see that
H went to H.Qn so H^ goes to H^.Qn and Halts.

Since the DEFINITION of the correct answer to a Halt Decider is that H
applied to <M> w only goes to H.Qn if M applied to w NEVER Halts, the
fact that H^ applied to <H^> is shown to Halt if H applied to <H^> <H^>
goes to H.Qn, says that H applied to <H^> <H^> going to H.Qn is NOT
correct, but instead it should have gone to H.Qy which is what it is
supposed to do if its input represents a Halting Computation.

All your arguements that this isn't what happens just shows that you
don't understand the actual FORMAL meaning of the words you are using.

FAIL.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Concise refutation of halting problem proofs V62 [ Linz Proof ]

By: olcott on Sun, 6 Feb 2022

163olcott