From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: I love these huge 5 amp hour batteries that come in most phones
nowadays.
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 17:01:51 -0700
 by: Alan - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 00:01 UTC

On 2022-03-22 8:35 p.m., Andy Burnelli wrote:
> Your Name wrote:
>
>>> First of all, 5 amp-hour batteries don't come in anywhere NEAR "most
>>> phones". GSMArena lists 2,448 phones as currently available and only
>>> 609 come with batteries of 5 amp-hours or larger
>
> One thing I absolutely _adore_ about my free 5G phone is the battery life.
>
> Thank you for running that search where I've noticed that a _lot_ of new
> phones are "at least" five amp hours nowadays. Depending on whether you ran
> the search for greater-than-or-equal to 5 amp hours, and depending on
> whether that search was for the last year or so only, 609 is 25% of 2,448.
>
> That's a lot. Whether or not it's "most" new phones and whether or not you
> included "at least" in the search, that would make a difference whether or
> not it's "most".

It's clearly not most, and my search was clearly for any phone with a 5
amp-hour battery or more.

> Plus, later on I see the "high end" phones have ~4,500 Amp-hour batteries,
> which is essentially the same thing. Let's make the cutoff 4-1/2 Amp hours.

4.5 hours isn't the same thing, so you've dragged the goalposts
significantly

> How many phones in the last year or two have at least a 4-1/2 Amp-hour
> battery? I'll bet it's a LOT because anything smaller is just primitive.

And then you drag them again.

>>> (and do you notice that adults know how to properly write "amp-hour"?).
>
> Usenet is a casual medium but if you find I make inadvertent errors, please
> feel free to let me know as I am after all a well educated person whose ego
> is not intertwined with ignorance but in enlightenment.
>
> I am not even going to look backward at how I used the "hyphen" as
> Usenet is
> casual, but if I'm writing a paper, I know what a lot of people do NOT
> know,
> which is that it isn't that a set of words gets a hyphen so much as how you
> USE the words.
> It's easier to explain with an example of "bright" and "red".
> Does it get a hyphen or not?

"amp-hour" gets a hyphen.

Anyone who actually was an electrical engineer would know htat.

> The answer is, it depends on _how_ you use it.
> "A bright-red rose" is different from "A bright red rose" for example.
> Just as that's different from "A rose which is bright red."

> In some cases, it's 'bright-red' and in others it's "bright red".
> Same with amp hours.

Nope. Not the same at all.

> In some cases it's "A five Amp-hour battery" (where I've capitalized the
> proper noun) and in other cases it's "The battery is five Amp hours."

1. "amp-hour" is not a proper noun.

2. In no cases should it ever be un-hyphenated.

> Depends on how you use it, but Usenet is casual, so I won't always use it
> properly since it's not a paper that needs to be grammatically correct.
>
> But if I used the hyphen incorrectly, you're _always_ welcome to tell me.

You failed to use it... ...and it was definitely incorrect.

>>> But much more importantly, what adults love is whichever phone lasts
>>> longer...
>>> ...which depends on more than just the battery capacity.
>>> 5 amp-hours is a spec...
>>> ...but it isn't actually what the user cares about.
>
> Look at what Tom's Guide said about my bottom-of-the-line free phone:
> "The OnePlus Nord N200 5G didn't fare as well, seeing 10 hours  and 28
> minutes in its 90Hz mode and 10 hours and 36 minutes in
>  its 60Hz mode. So the Samsung Galaxy A32-5G lasted considerably longer,
>  despite having the same size battery as the Nord N200."
>  <https://www.tomsguide.com/reviews/galaxy-a32-5g>

Yes, and?

> And look at what Tom's Guide said about my free phone's recharge time:
> "We also tested the recharge times for the Galaxy A32 5G, with the phone
>  recharging from 0% to 14% in 15 minutes and to 27% in 30 minutes.
>  That's pretty inline with the Nord N200, which recharged to 32%  after
> half-an-hour." <https://www.tomsguide.com/reviews/galaxy-a32-5g>

Which has nothing to do with their battery capacity.

> My phone, which is five Amp hours, lasts forever.
> That's what I care about.

You care about the "lasts forever" if you're smart.

> As I recall, my phone charges on the charger that came with the phone in
> about two to two-and-a-half hours (notice the hyphens!). That's what I
> care about.
>
> Gone is the primitive method of charging the phone every single night.
> Gone are worries about using all the radios all the time.
>
> I leave GPS on all day now that I have it spoofed.

Great. So do I.

> And I leave the data on all day now that I have unlimited data.

Great. So do I.

> And I leave the Wi-Fi radios on all the time too.

Me too.

> I don't usually have Bluetooth on though as I don't use it.

I have it on all the time.

> And the fact it's 5G doesn't seem to have any deleterious effect on that.
>
> It's downright primitive to have to worry about charging your battery at
> the
> end of the day given "many" modern phones come with five-and-six-Amp-hour
> batteries nowadays.

And now you've upped the ante again after moving the goalposts previously.

> In fact, if your battery is _smaller_ than five Amp hours, then I'd say
> it's
> downright primitive, and if your phone didn't come with a fast charger, I'd
> say that's downright primitive too. :)

It's downright irrelevant how big my battery is.

What's relevant is how long it lasts.

>>> 'Best phone battery life at a glance (hours:minutes)
>>>
>>> 1. Moto G Power (2021): 14:04
>>> 2. Nubia RedMagic 6: 13:20
>>> 3. Moto G Power (2022): 13: 15
>>> 4. Nubia RedMagic 6S Pro: 13:13
>>> 5. Kyocera DuraForce Ultra 5G UW: 12:29
>>> 6. Asus ROG Phone 5: 12:23
>>> 7. Samsung Galaxy A52 5G: 12:19
>>> 8. iPhone 13 Pro Max: 12:16 (tie)
>>> 9. Cat S62 Pro: 12:16 (tie)
>>> 10. Motorola One 5G Ace: 12:03
>>> 11. Moto G Pure: 11:52
>>> 12. OnePlus Nord N10 5G: 11:48
>>> 13. iPhone 13 Pro: 11:42'
>>> <https://www.tomsguide.com/us/smartphones-best-battery-life,review-2857.html>
>>>

> They didn't test the Samsung Galaxy A32-5G based on that listing.

Or they tested it, and it didn't make the cut.

> But read this, which says mine is one of the best they've ever tested.
> <https://www.tomsguide.com/reviews/galaxy-a32-5g>
> "the A32-5G's numbers might just earn it a spot on our list  of the best
> phone battery life."

"Might" isn't "did"

> Running a search for the battery life of my free bottom-of-the-line phone
> <https://www.google.com/search?q=battery+life+samsung+galaxy+a32-5g>
> This is the first hit, titled "Battery Life for Days"
> <https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/samsung-galaxy-a32-5g>
> "THE BOTTOM LINE
>  The Samsung Galaxy A32 5G's excellent battery life and impressive
>  design are a winning combination for budget-phone shoppers."

Battery LIFE.

> They talk about the "battery life" being excellent _seven_ times in that
> short article, so that's a fantastic thing that they agree with me.
> "The 5,000mAh battery should yield a few days of moderate use between
>  charges. In our battery drain test, which streams HD video over Wi-Fi
>  at full brightness, the Galaxy A32 5G shut down after 13 hours  and 1
> minute. If you need a quick boost, the phone supports  18W fast
> charging; an adapter is included in the box."

Right.

"Battery LIFE" isn't "battery SIZE".

>>> 'So without further ado, let's take a look at the phones with the
>>> best battery life in 2022!
>
> My bottom-of-the-line free Samsung Galaxy 5G has "battery life for
> days", which is one thing I _love_ about that phone.
> I gave a few of them away to kids who camp and they used the GPS all day
> for
> days and the phone handled their camping trip just fine without worries.
>
> Gone is the primitive overnight charging.

Why would that be primitive? What else should I do with it while I'm asleep?

> Gone is the primitive 8-hour charging.
>
> I love the battery life and I love the fast charger which charges the
> phone,
> as I recall, in two and a half hours or so (I need to test it again
> though).
>
>>> High-end phones with best battery life:
>>>
>>> Apple iPhone 13 Pro Max – 4352 mAh battery, power-efficient
>>> processor, nearly 19 hours of web browsing
>>>
>>> Galaxy S20+, S20 FE at 4500 mAh battery, 12+ hours of web browsing
>>>
>>> OnePlus 8 at 4300 mAh battery, 12+ hours of web browsing
>>>
>>> Xiaomi Mi 10 Pro at 4500 mAh battery, 14+ hours of web browsing
>>>
>>> Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra at 5000 mAh battery, 16+ hours of web browsing'
>>> <https://www.phonearena.com/news/Best-battery-life-phones_id102507>
>
> Let's make the cutoff 4-1/2 Amp hours unless you want to make the cutoff at
> a 4.3 Amp-hour battery to include the smaller iPhone batteries.

Let's make the cutoff which phones actually last the longest.

> Your choice.
> If you run that search you'll find a _lot_ of new phones in the last year
> (2021 and 2022) no longer use the primitive smaller batteries anymore.
>
>> Even then, those are "best case" specifications in ideal conditions
>> and "average" usage. They are also usually under-rated to cover the
>> manufacturer's backside - if it lasts longer that's a bonus, but if it
>> lasts shorter the buyers will bitterly complain.
>
> All tests have their advantages and disadvantages.
> What matters is consistency in testing between phones.
> That's why I love DXOMark so much as they use a consistent set of tests.
>
> What really matters, as you already said, is how it works in your hands,
> where I'm gonna tell you that my phone lasts forever. As in days of
> using it
> with all the radios on full tilt.

"All the radios"...

....except Bluetooth.

> Of course, if I play video all night with the screen on, then of course it
> won't last forever, but I _never_ worry about the charge during the day
> under normal use.
>
> I'd say my use is normal in that the wifi radios, the gps radios, and the
> cellular data radios are on full time all day every day. And I don't even
> bother to charge it at night unless I feel like doing so. I put it on a
> 2.4-Amp charger but I have a charger that can put 9.0 volts of pressure
> if I
> wanted to fast charge it.
>
> Gone are the days when fast chargers didn't come with every phone.
>
>> But battery life in the real world of course depends on what you're
>> actually doing, the battery's age and number of recharges it has had,
>> the weather/temperature, how well it has been taken care of, etc. You
>> could also, for example, easily buy a brand new mobile device that has
>> been sitting on the shelf for six months, which had a battery
>> installed that had been sitting on the factory stock shelf for six
>> months before that, so it is already 1 year degraded before you even
>> open the box on your new toy.
>
> Read this article on my free bottom-of-the-line Galaxy A32-5G battery life.
> <https://www.tomsguide.com/reviews/galaxy-a32-5g>
> "Great battery life"
> "the Galaxy A32 5G packs incredibly impressive battery numbers"
> "Battery life (Hrs:Mins): 11:39"
>
> Note I get far more life than a puny 12 hours, but it's in my pocket doing
> nothing but connecting to Wifi/cellular/gps/5G most of the time.
> "One of the Galaxy A32 5G’s greatest strengths is its battery life.
>  With a 5,000mAh battery, the phone lasts an impressively long time
>  considering its 90Hz refresh rate. I like to see phones last longer
>  than 10 hours, which we would consider about average for smartphones
>  nowadays. But the A32's numbers might just earn it a spot on our  list
> of the best phone battery life."
>
> In summary, I _love_ everything about the battery in my free budget phone.
> a. Gone are the primitive nightly charging cycles
> b. Gone are the primitive husbanding of the wifi/cellular/5g radios
> c. Gone are worries about charging time
>
> To worry about the battery dying in a smartphone is so yesterday
> now that the batteries are huge in many if not most modern smartphones.

And worrying about whether it dies or not is not a function of battery
size alone.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o I love these huge 5 amp hour batteries that come in most phones nowadays.

By: Andy Burnelli on Tue, 22 Mar 2022

9Andy Burnelli