I've looked at the listing, and it's right! -- Joel Halpern

computers / comp.theory / Re: Refuting the Peter Linz Halting Problem Proof --- Version(10) [ key missing piece in dialogue ]

Re: Refuting the Peter Linz Halting Problem Proof --- Version(10) [ key missing piece in dialogue ]

<pKz3K.439248$SeK9.29403@fx97.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29596&group=comp.theory#29596

Subject: Re: Refuting the Peter Linz Halting Problem Proof --- Version(10) [
key missing piece in dialogue ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory
<RNidnVr-m8VuutP_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com> <t2l9u5$s78$1@dont-email.me>
<cvOdnRh1oMwrsNP_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com> <t2lbfp$l03$1@dont-email.me>
<ddydnYa4KKXprtP_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com> <t2lchk$69m$1@dont-email.me>
<ceydnd_Rxc-Xp9P_nZ2dnUU7_8xh4p2d@giganews.com> <t2le3m$ucg$1@dont-email.me>
<0Y-dnRfPMZwYoNP_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com> <t2lffh$m4b$1@dont-email.me>
<-Y-dneOIwoko39P_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com> <t2lgpi$a5h$1@dont-email.me>
<a6idnUCCo_-D1dP_nZ2dnUU7_81g4p2d@giganews.com>
<167d7f14-8a54-4f5b-8932-99236586786fn@googlegroups.com>
<m_-dnS8D686z1NP_nZ2dnUU7_8xh4p2d@giganews.com>
<2e2cf0ab-e246-40a9-9d2d-bd9bf5f65d62n@googlegroups.com>
<BPSdnVwEgvGa0tP_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<b047b854-fa33-4c83-9066-e9c196c6bebbn@googlegroups.com>
<ibidnd7EQLcez9P_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<3d6fb15e-b313-4d09-86ed-595ab8784ce5n@googlegroups.com>
<cZ6dnRLq0c8y_dP_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 07:16:37 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 11:16 UTC

On 4/6/22 11:55 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 4/6/2022 10:27 PM, Dennis Bush wrote:

>>> The actual sequence of configurations specified by these three is not
>>> the same thus the behavior can vary.
>>>
>>> H ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩
>>> Ĥ ⟨Ĥ⟩
>>> embedded_H ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩
>>> You can simply assume that they must be the same, yet when you list them
>>> you can see that they are not the same.
>>
>> By definition the input to H and embedded_H is the representation of Ĥ
>> ⟨Ĥ⟩
>
> None-the-less the above three are not the same sequence of steps and
> this directly causes a significant difference in their behavior.

H and embedded_H can only differ in their sequence of steps if you are
LYING on what embedded_H is, as we never get to the state that has the
changes made.

That H^ <H^> differs is fine, because it is SUPPOSED to be a differen
machine, but it does need to be RELATED.

> It is simpler to understand that this is the only thing that matters:
>
> It is the case that the correctly simulated input to embedded_H can
> never possibly reach its own final state under any condition at all.
> Therefore embedded_H is necessarily correct to reject its input.

WRONG. Correctly simulating the input to embedded_H will show that it
halts if embedded_H goes to Qn. That is simple to see.

The problem is that embedded_H is NOT the correct simulator if it is the
case that it goes to Qn, and you seem to be stuck on the idea that it is.

> Even if you simply assume that it is not true:
>
> You can verify the correctness of my reasoning by simply seeing what
> this would prove if it was true. If embedded_H correctly decides ⟨Ĥ⟩ ⟨Ĥ⟩
> then it refutes what Linz said was impossible.

IF it did, yes, but it doesn't. That is like saying that if my dog was a
cat, I can prove that cats bark.

You are assuming something that isn't true, which is the definition of
unsound logic, so you answer is unsound, and thus incorrect.

FAIL

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Refuting the Peter Linz Halting Problem Proof --- Version(10) [ key

By: olcott on Sun, 3 Apr 2022

978olcott