"And remember: Evil will always prevail, because Good is dumb." -- Spaceballs

computers / comp.theory / Re: Refuting the Peter Linz Halting Problem Proof --- Version(11) [ ridiculously stupid ]

Re: Refuting the Peter Linz Halting Problem Proof --- Version(11) [ ridiculously stupid ]

<AZm4K.327357$Lbb6.233639@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29822&group=comp.theory#29822

Subject: Re: Refuting the Peter Linz Halting Problem Proof --- Version(11) [
ridiculously stupid ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory
<dPKdnYwT-JcceM3_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com> <878rse8mpz.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<8qOdnanOrqcPBsz_nZ2dnUU7_81g4p2d@giganews.com>
<esh4K.210689$OT%7.200542@fx07.iad>
<bOudnetnF9vGOcz_nZ2dnUU7_81g4p2d@giganews.com>
<cbk4K.149257$dln7.89696@fx03.iad>
<o7-dnVJPXvNjTcz_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<YCk4K.64531$e%.7672@fx36.iad>
<ntCdnSt0qr7uSsz_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<V1l4K.810561$aT3.662905@fx09.iad>
<7JGdnZEzGrp2Q8z_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<Gkl4K.564829$7F2.521914@fx12.iad>
<OrWdnfFdxKTdfsz_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<DNl4K.327353$Lbb6.62351@fx45.iad>
<zM2dnSfUtf-vd8z_nZ2dnUU7_83NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<wpm4K.327356$Lbb6.198361@fx45.iad>
<Jo2dnV8tnJFGbsz_nZ2dnUU7_8xh4p2d@giganews.com>
<aEm4K.562187$LN2.503847@fx13.iad>
<07Cdnbe0F50Basz_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 17:34:26 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Sat, 9 Apr 2022 21:34 UTC

On 4/9/22 5:16 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 4/9/2022 4:11 PM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> The actual input is ⟨Ĥ0⟩ ⟨Ĥ1⟩.
>>
>> But ALL <H^i> are the exact same string, so ALL copies act the same.
>>

>>> The actual behavior of this input is non-halting and you already
>>> admitted this.
>>
>> Nope, I have PROVED that it is halting if H rejects this input.
>
> When Ĥ is applied to ⟨Ĥ0⟩
>    Ĥ copies its input ⟨Ĥ0⟩ to ⟨Ĥ1⟩ then
>    H simulates ⟨Ĥ0⟩ ⟨Ĥ1⟩
> Then these steps would keep repeating:
>    Ĥ0 copies its input ⟨Ĥ1⟩ to ⟨Ĥ2⟩ then H0 simulates ⟨Ĥ1⟩ ⟨Ĥ2⟩
>    Ĥ1 copies its input ⟨Ĥ2⟩ to ⟨Ĥ3⟩ then H1 simulates ⟨Ĥ2⟩ ⟨Ĥ3⟩
> then embedded_H rejects ⟨Ĥ0⟩ ⟨Ĥ1⟩
>
> Show how ⟨Ĥ0⟩ reaches its final state of ⟨Ĥ0.qy⟩ or ⟨Ĥ0.qn⟩.

Remember ALL <H^i> are the same, so we can look at the above and see
that the ACTUAL BEHAVIOR of <H^0> <H^1> would be:

H^0 is applied to <H^1>
H0 copies its input <H^1) to <H^2> then
H0 simulates <H^1> <H^2>
H0 THINKS these keep repeating (but they don't)
H^1 copies its input <H^2> to <H^3> then H1 simulates <H^2> <H^3>
H^2 copies its input <H^3> to <H^4> then H2 simulates <H^3> <H^4>
Then embedded_H0 rejects <H^1> <H^2>
going to your H.Qn
This is also H^0.Qn which is a final state of the machine H^0

H^0 applied to <H^1> is thus a HALTING COMPUTATION, and thus so the
input <H^0><H^1> represents one.

Note, behavior of the input is BY DEFINITION based on the behavior of
the ACTUAL MACHINE (or ACTUAL UTM Simulation) NOT the aborted simulation
of the decider.

Thus, embedded_H was WRONG to decide to reject, because it was WRONG to
presume the steps would keep on repating forever because it ignored the
conditionals inside the copies of the embedded_H it was simulating.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Refuting the Peter Linz Halting Problem Proof --- Version(10) [ key

By: olcott on Sun, 3 Apr 2022

978olcott